RC Qualifier

Do your inner rear axle bearings require more maintenance?

Ever since my inner rear axle bearing seized I've been paying close attention to said bearings. I don't run in water but it appears after every two runs the inner rear bearings get crunchy while all other axle bearings remain smooth even the front inners . The rears get abused a lot or maybe it's just me

Anyways I now check all inner bearings after every run, and plan on running near neutral camber as I've been running negative for a while. I assume negative camber puts more stress on the bearing. Anywho are you guys finding similar results?

I had issues with my inner bearings too. I bought some Avids, and I've been using them for 3 months now. There're still perfect, no seized, or crunchy bearings for me. Good luck, just wanted to let you know your not alone.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Qualifier
    yup, inners go faster than outer wheels bearings for me.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

I went boca sealed ceramics for inner and outer wheel bearings.also inner and outer pinion bearings over 6 months wheel bearings are fine still.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Ok I will consider better brand bearings

One big mistake I did thinking oil was attracting too much dirt because dirt was caking inside the hub carrier making my bearings crunchy I decided to run my bearings dry after a rebuild and... it permanently locked up one bearing and destroyed the other ie all the balls fell out oh well

The traxxas ones are not expensive at least.i keep some extras with me,just in case

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    All 4 of mine went bad. They were good at the start of my run and bad at the end. Ordered up some better bearings. On I side note I noticed that my local hobby shop has hubs that I think use a bigger outer bearing? But not sure and have not had time to look?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    All 4 of mine went bad. They were good at the start of my run and bad at the end. Ordered up some better bearings. On I side note I noticed that my local hobby shop has hubs that I think use a bigger outer bearing? But not sure and have not had time to look?
    As far as I know the hub that uses a larger outer bearing is our Summit carrier. As usual here are 2 parts that look identical and dangerously easy to mix up within the Traxxas monster truck family.

Part no. / vehicle / inner bearing / outer

5334 / Maxx / 12x18x4 / 6x12x4
    5334R / Revo, E-Revo, Summit / 12x18x4 / 6x13x5

RC Champion
    Ahhh ok that makes sence. I was just looking over parts to see if their was stuff hanging their that I could not live without. Thanks for the info

Do your inner rear axle bearings require more maintenance?

RPM hubs use even bigger bearings
    "Outer bearings are 6x15x5mm (stock is 6x12x4mm) [or 6x13x5mm - they haven't bothered to update their website to tell the whole truth yet.]
    Inner bearings are 12x21x5mm (stock is 12x18x4mm)."
    but in my experience the plastic is not the correct compound for this application.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-29-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    RPM hubs use even bigger bearings
    "Outer bearings are 6x15x5mm (stock is 6x12x4mm) [or 6x13x5mm - they haven't bothered to update their website to tell the whole truth yet.]
    Inner bearings are 12x21x5mm (stock is 12x18x4mm)."
    but in my experience the plastic is not the correct compound for this application.
    Care to elaborate on the plastic compound? I thought RPM was pretty much bullet proof? I do like the idea of the much bigger inner bearing

If I remember,the pillow balls were popping out of the carrier.Im pretty surprised at the stockers myself.i may still have one stock one on mine.worn a few out,think I only broke one.It was a good tumble...lol not a good sudden stop rocks are hard. LOL

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    From what I understand our 5334R carriers uses a metal ring/collar to capture the pillow ball, to keep from popping out like jamann said. Visually... unless there is wear on the metal it's hard to detect because everything is black and the carrier looks like one big plastic piece when in reality it's made of 3 parts bonded together. I think a lot of the squeaking noise people complain about is from this metal to metal contact.

I learned something today,thanks Maxi
    I had no idea,there was metal in there I could put marine grease on! Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I learned something today,thanks Maxi
    I had no idea,there was metal in there I could put marine grease on! Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Ooops I made a mistake... sorry. The metal parts are only rings surrounding the pillow ball opening for reinforcement, to keep the ball from popping out and thru the plastic. The rings are snap / pressure fit? not sure. Anywho the pillow ball is in contact with plastic... no metal

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....98bfqldvlng3u3
    Last edited by maxi single; 04-30-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Ahh whatever, I'm greasing it anyways
    I don't have a grease problem,honest.
    I can quit anytime lol.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried