RC Competitor

One Tire Ballooning More Then The Rest

Recently my car wasn't able to track straight during speed runs. I checked and realized that upon full throttle with the car elevated from the ground, one tire(back right side tire) will balloon more then the rest. The ballooning is very noticeable. This is when I carry the truck off the ground and apply full throttle. To my knowledge, tires will balloon more when the opposite side tire is restricted like for example, if u hold your left side back tire and prevent it from spinning, it will cause the right side back tire to balloon more. I'm wondering if some restriction in the other tire is causing my back right side tire to balloon more then the rest. Anyone has this problem as well?

I had the same when one of the bearings in the axle carrier was on it's end, so your thoughts make sense to me.
    Nobody is born with experience

I never had this problem before but what peter says makes sense. That would be a very bad problem to have.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I had the same when one of the bearings in the axle carrier was on it's end, so your thoughts make sense to me.
    Hmm. Makes sense to me as well. I'll have to check the bearings then. Thanks.

RC Champion
    if it is not that you might have water in one tire
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Doubtful, but check your hexes. Might need a diff rebuild. Swap tires on the rear and see what happens.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Doubtful, but check your hexes. Might need a diff rebuild. Swap tires on the rear and see what happens.
    one of the hexes were stripped a few days ago and I used CA glue to glue all wheels onto the hexes. Already tried swapping around the tires and so far, this combination is the straightest I can get it to track. Rear diffs..hmm. Speaking about rear diffs, what oil should I put in there? I know some put heavy stuff like grease in the diffs and others put diff oils. I'm bashing mostly on skateparks and on-road speed runs. Rarely go off road. Any advise?

I would do a rear diff rebuild and new bearings and use a good silicon diff grease or oil but look into how it will change the way the back end of your truck handles And if you want to make the diff bullet proof use the revo i bar which has three holes in it and will go straight into your diff part no.5382x......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Ok i removed rear diffs and cleaned and lube all bearings. Replaced the diff oil with Mobil 1 grease. After testing guess what...same thing happened. The right rear tire is still ballooning way more then the others. Maybe I should buy new tires. Still using stock talons atm.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I would do a rear diff rebuild and new bearings and use a good silicon diff grease or oil but look into how it will change the way the back end of your truck handles And if you want to make the diff bullet proof use the revo i bar which has three holes in it and will go straight into your diff part no.5382x......peace
    Where do I put the bar with the 3 holes? I don't remember having anything that looks like that in my stock diffs.

It will not be in your stock diffs its from the bushless revo and maxx. the bar in your diff that has the 2 spider gears goes through middle of the i bar and it stop any wear and warping and the other 2 holes on the top and bottom let oil or grease through to keep it lubed.......peace

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    Recently my car wasn't able to track straight during speed runs. I checked and realized that upon full throttle with the car elevated from the ground, one tire(back right side tire) will balloon more then the rest. The ballooning is very noticeable. This is when I carry the truck off the ground and apply full throttle. To my knowledge, tires will balloon more when the opposite side tire is restricted like for example, if u hold your left side back tire and prevent it from spinning, it will cause the right side back tire to balloon more. I'm wondering if some restriction in the other tire is causing my back right side tire to balloon more then the rest. Anyone has this problem as well?
    Have you taped the inside of your tires? It works miracles to prevent ballooning...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Did you put grease on the inside of the diff with the spider gears? If so then one wheel will always have more power than the other. You put diff fluid to get more equal power to both wheels at the same time. This stuff http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...d-60000cst-2oz There are different thicknesses of the fluid to give you more or less diff action
    Last edited by Novarider; 04-17-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post

This happens to me alot, going with 17mm to correct.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Did you put grease on the inside of the diff with the spider gears? If so then one wheel will always have more power than the other. You put diff fluid to get more equal power to both wheels at the same time. This stuff http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...d-60000cst-2oz There are different thicknesses of the fluid to give you more or less diff action
    Well it was stock grease when I opened the diffs up. I put Mobil 1 grease after cleaning out the diffs. I filled it up to the brim then screwed the caps back on. I prefer grease then fluid cause I'm more of an on road basher. Well.. I tried running it on the road just now and it is tracking straighter now so no biggie. I guess I'll just have to live with the one tire ballooning more then the rest. I'll change tires soon.

RC Competitor
    Ok I just read a few posts regarding diff fluids and I'm just wondering am I doing the right thing by putting Mobil 1 grease into the rear diffs. I run on asphalt most times and very rarely off road. I am also more of a skatepark basher and I never race. My goal is to make the truck track as straight as possible. Will heavier oil make it track straighter? I heard of ppl putting JB Weld which is super heavy into their diffs and they say it makes the truck track straighter. Any advise guys? The straighter the better for me.

I would still do the i bar mod is just one less thing to worry about man......peace

Ok i removed rear diffs and cleaned and lube all bearings. Replaced the diff oil with Mobil 1 grease. After testing guess what...same thing happened. The right rear tire is still ballooning way more then the others. Maybe I should buy new tires. Still using stock talons atm.
    What happens when you switch your tires to the other side? Does it still balloon on the same side?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Ok I just read a few posts regarding diff fluids and I'm just wondering am I doing the right thing by putting Mobil 1 grease into the rear diffs. I run on asphalt most times and very rarely off road. I am also more of a skatepark basher and I never race. My goal is to make the truck track as straight as possible. Will heavier oil make it track straighter? I heard of ppl putting JB Weld which is super heavy into their diffs and they say it makes the truck track straighter. Any advise guys? The straighter the better for me.
    The heavier oil the more of a 'locked diff' which is better for bashing and going in a straight line!

RC Competitor
    I think I've figured out what was causing the ballooning issue. Upon closer inspection, I notice that the ballooning tire was wobbling quite bad thus maybe casuing it to balloon more then the rest. It also affects the car during high speed due to the high speed wobbling. I think that tire may be imbalanced. Anyone knows how to rectify this?

RC Competitor
    You can buy a wheel balancer. I got a du-bro #499 from tower hobbies for $27
    You have to pin it to win it