RC poster

rusty vxl gets squirrelly at high speeds

what's the best ways to stabilize my rusty for speed runs? any ideas or help is appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    The Rusty is a 2wd vehicle, so it's natural for it to get squirrelly at high speeds. The Rustler is also an off-road vehicle by nature of its design, so you will need to do some modifications in order to make it consistent at high speeds. Are you doing speed runs on or off-road? I drive my Rustler off-road only, but I know you need a fairly low center of gravity, good street tires, and a properly tuned suspension if you want to do a lot of on-road speed runs. You can adjust your camber and toe settings, modify the positioning of your shocks, use lower weight diff oil, and things like that to make it handle better on-road. There's lots of info out there about how to properly set up a Rusty for speed runs, so take a look around at other threads on here or other forums for ideas.

RC Qualifier
    add rear toe in and buy a gyro

RC poster
    oh, i have anacondas all around and the largest inc shock spacers

RC poster
    reminded me of other stuff ive done lol thx moved to the farthest shock mounts front and back and 40 weight shock oil. tell me guys, if i want to run onroad, would i be better off buying a TC kit and hooking up the sweet vxl from sir russell? opinions?

RC poster
    my first interaction with forums. good experience. thanks

Try lowering the truck. If you have the tallest pre- load spacers installed you have effectively raised the truck and that wont help high speed stability at all. Keeping it lower and maybe just a little lower in the front than the rear should help.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

those anacondas arent helping. try the jconcepts g locs or get 17mm adapters

RC Qualifier
    It's all in the setup. I was really dissappointed with the Rustler and how it handled when I first tried it on 3s. It had tons of understeer, and like you said it just felt squirrely at any speed over 40 mph or so.

If you're running it on road for the most part adding a little rear toe in will help the rear from spinning out. Front toe in will keep it stable and tracking straight at higher speeds. 1 toe in front and rear works pretty good. Stock the rear toe is set at 0 so you'll have to get different arms, rear hubs, or a gear box that has toe built into the suspension arm mounts like the FLM.

Lowering it helps too. I like mine set where the front and rear arms are both parallel to the ground.

Heavier shock oil won't hurt either. Stock is 30wt iirc, 40wt all around works pretty good from my experience.
    Bashin' n' crashin'

RC Qualifier
    Gyro it work well for my rustler
    Slash 3s 2150kv
    Mod1 27/36 61mph

I have g-locs and all I run is asphalt, concrete parking lots. Tires still look good with plenty of tread but spin like they're on ice. No traction.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dski View Post
    I have g-locs and all I run is asphalt, concrete parking lots. Tires still look good with plenty of tread but spin like they're on ice. No traction.
    What are the outside temps like? A lot of tires will harden up and lose traction if its cooler outside. Especially the Jconcepts Yellow and Proline M2 compounds. You can always try softening them up with something like WD40 or Simple Green.
    Bashin' n' crashin'

RC Champion
    Go Low and get wide. Using the Rear arms on the front or pro-line or FLM wider arms will bring the width up. Using a shock tower that allows you to lean the shocks down and move the lower mounts to the farthest out on the arms will shorten the effective length of the shock, effectively lowering it some. You can also put a short section of fuel tubing inside the shock on the shaft below the piston to shorten the length to lower it more.

The Rusty by nature is going to have a lot of push or understeer at speed due to any high powered brushless system. Getting the front tires pushed further out to the sides helps. I ran a sway bar I built on the front for a while and at the time it seemed it helped, but after removing the bar my Rusty handled the same.

Tires have a huge role in how it handles. I've used many on mine. If I want straight line speed only with stability, I'll throw a pair of Jaco foams (front offset btw) on the rear to eliminate the unpredictability of tire growth at speed. If I want to go fast and hook corners, I'll run front offset anacondas on all 4 corners. Anacondas in my experience get better the hotter you get them. Even when outside temps are low, a few quick donuts and mine is yanking the front in the air on launch even if it's in the 40's outside. Hooking highspeed corners once warmed up is predictable. Mine will push under throttle but will turn sharply once I back off.

I've got a lot of time into shock tuning too, but mine got much more stable once I made the change to going wide and low.
    Last edited by Zoomad; 12-14-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by brandon555 View Post
    What are the outside temps like? A lot of tires will harden up and lose traction if its cooler outside. Especially the Jconcepts Yellow and Proline M2 compounds. You can always try softening them up with something like WD40 or Simple Green.
    It has been quite cold up North but I noticed a lot less traction even in the warmer climates.

RC poster
    Search how to lower rc shocks on YouTube, the channel will be called darkeclipticheart. Also put a lost 10 t wing on it (also on his channel). That should do it, but if not put some weight up front