RC Racer

Installed new Traxxas servo Now pulls heavy right?

This was brand new. Does it need to be calibrated or something? Installed it and thought it was aligned centered and when it drives it cuts hard right? Is there something I am missing?

RC Champion
    Need to make sure your steering trim is set to 0 or center on your TX. Then turn everything on as normal to allow the servo to self center, then install your servo saver as centered as possible on the servo shaft.. Adjust trim as necessary.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    Ok I will try that ;later. Thanks

What is the servo saver though? Is that the white piece I removed to get the new one installed with the screw in the center?

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ironruger View Post
    Ok I will try that ;later. Thanks

What is the servo saver though? Is that the white piece I removed to get the new one installed with the screw in the center?
    The servo saver is the white piece in this picture:

As stated above, just turn the remote and truck on, set steering trim on remote to the middle or 0 position, then with the truck still powered on just remove the servo saver screw then pull the servo saver off then put it back on in the position that gets both your wheels pointing straight. Don't worry if the saver looks off a hair, as long as the wheels are pointing straight you'll be good to go. Install the servo saver screw and bash away!

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal...Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys I figured that you were talking about the entire white piece being the servo saver. Appreciate the help
    Last edited by ironruger; 04-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.

RC Champion
    Baldy :forgive my ignorance but is the saver the entire white piece or just the section with the red circle in the picture?
    The servo saver is the piece, the red circle is I believe just to indicate where it is fixed at. After a hard bashing, do check it often, as if the pede is crashed on one side badly enough, the saver could be displaced and has to be re-centered.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Well I am hanging it up for the night. I have tried it about 10 times and each time I think everything is on straight the car pulls hard right....

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    If everything appears to be straight and the wheels are straight with the remote and truck powered and steering trim set to 0, then it probably is straight and the problem may be due to something else. If the truck is pulling to the right while the wheels are straight, then check to make sure the front and rear wheels on the right side are spinning freely. If they aren't you could have a wheel nut that's too tight one or more bad bearings or a combination of both.

If it pulls to the right when you are accelerating the problem is likely in the rear. If it pulls hard as soon as you let off the throttle than the issue will likely be in the front right wheel.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Check that your steering kingpins are not bent. Especially if you have plastic c-blocks.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Check that your steering kingpins are not bent. Especially if you have plastic c-blocks.
    Yseterday I had a good run with my pede too. The kin pin on my Traxxas aluminum C blocks bent, so it veered right....what other strong king pin is suggested to replace it. Also I will have to figure out how to remove it aas the hex thread of my pin got stripped...any way the C block itslef is a bit bent , but then that I assome could be hammered a littel bit in place or with pliers.
    Can bent King pins, be hammered and re-used (probalaly lost its strenght) though.....
    Live life to the fullest

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I'm betting a wheel nut that is hunkered down to much or possibly some rusted up or busted bearings. When you take the wheel off check to see that there isnt any track around the axle and such. Is it an XL5 with bushings or a VXL model?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I'm betting a wheel nut that is hunkered down to much or possibly some rusted up or busted bearings. When you take the wheel off check to see that there isnt any track around the axle and such. Is it an XL5 with bushings or a VXL model?
    Its an XL with bushings awating the aluminum carriers for both front and rear (ordered). I gusee that will make a great difference.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    I just installed traxxas rear steering hubs with bearings and front steering blocks from traxxas with bearings aswell.
    I just reinstalled the servo and noticed my front wheels turn in alot but I'm waiting for new rpm camber links then hopefully it will straighten out. Everything seems straight right now but it is raining out so I have to wait for a dry day..
    I also installed the steering turnbuckles in the second holes closer into the servo saver keeping the turnbuckles straight, the other holes had them Ben in a little, could that have anything to do with it as well?

RC Racer
    Oh by the way it's an xl-5 upgraded to vxl. 2x4

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Take some pics of the front end area. Possibly with the tire on and off. This will help us help you.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Ok I tore everything apart upfront. I found the screw that holds the front camberlink bent on the left side and the Aluminum caster block from traxxas on the left side bent aswell? Not the pin that holds it on the A arm just the caster block was bent. Must have taken a hard hit there, however would this cause the truck to pull to the right?? In theory you would think it would pull left but maybe not?

RC Racer
    Further inspection I found the pin that holds the caster block together is so bent I can not remove it. I hope this was the problem

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Take some pics of the front end area. Possibly with the tire on and off. This will help us help you.
    So as promised, here is the picture of the bent caster block and replacement king pins.
    I verified the bushings , all great.
    No problems with the camber links...and turnbuckles

On the right is the replacement pins from the traxxas 3739 screw sets(noticed all replacement parts are all stronger and thicker as well as longer) so I assume this will hold better too
    Below is the caster block, hammered and straightened out

Last edited by Jezza; 04-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I know why the block bent.
    The pin on the left is for the lower suspension arm/c-block hole. The longer pin on the right is a steering kingpin.
    The suspension pin is not long enough for the upper c-block hole to support it, and when you had impact, the pin bent, pulled out of the top hole, then the pin torqued the bottom hole and bent the block. Trx c-blocks wont normally bend like that.

RC Champion
    I know why the block bent.
    The pin on the left is for the lower suspension arm/c-block hole. The longer pin on the right is a steering kingpin.
    The suspension pin is not long enough for the upper c-block hole to support it, and when you had impact, the pin bent, pulled out of the top hole, then the pin torqued the bottom hole and bent the block. Trx c-blocks wont normally bend like that.
    Funnily the bent pin is from the sealed traxxas castor block pack. And yeah I found it short...so I think I am going to replace the other one too, to make sure that it does not pop out as well...
    Thanks for the help, its always appreciated
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    I think my red TRX caster block came with a pin I thought was a little short too. I think I used the old style kingpin with the e-clips.

I just looked. I can't tell now. It's in a parts bag by itself. I remember the day I put the red TRX blocks on my rustler I think the pin that came with it was short and I had a new suspension pin set, a Lunsford hinge pin set, and the old style trx pin with the e-clips which I think is what I used. It just rings a bell that the one that came with my caster blocks was the wrong pin from the factory. I purchased those almost 2 years ago though.
    Last edited by mepster; 04-13-2013 at 12:30 PM.

RC Champion
    I have a problem now. I cannot remove the other one. The Allen key just turns ...the screw is tightened so hard that the hex hole is stripped. Tried pliers but no luck...any way I will figure it out later
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    So what is the deal with mine then. The left caster block was bent worse than that and I had to hammer the pin out. Can that cause the truck to pull right.? I ordered new caster blocks

RC Champion
    So what is the deal with mine then. The left caster block was bent worse than that and I had to hammer the pin out. Can that cause the truck to pull right.? I ordered new caster blocks
    Yes definitely....but if it has been straightened and you put a new pin, it should be fine. Mine drives straight now...only problem I cannot remove the pin off the other caster, wanted to insert a longer pin in....
    Live life to the fullest

sorry ironruger, thought this was jezzas thread... its ok though, as the info refers to yours.
    yes a bent pin can cause all kind of goofy handling stuff. was your c-block plastic? did you order more plastic ones?

RC Racer
    No problem I had the traxxas aluminum caster blocks. I reorder them again and I should have them Monday or Tuesday

It was bent much worst then his in the picture and the pin was jammed in good too. Once I get it all back together and test drive it I am hoping everything will be running straight. I did get the servo centered I hope. I am just surprised because I never noticed it being bent and I guess it makes since it would pull hard right if the left is damaged
    Last edited by ironruger; 04-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Wow, I never seen a trx block bend unless there was very high speeds involved, and 2 in one thread??? Maybe the shorter pins are the cause...

RC Champion
    Wow, I never seen a trx block bend unless there was very high speeds involved, and 2 in one thread??? Maybe the shorter pins are the cause...
    I think so...because they all came with short pins. I got mine of e-bay, I am wondering if these were counterfeit Traxxas product, but well packaged with no difference)...hmmmm any way sorry I am going into conspiracy theories now...just thinking
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-13-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Mine were bought from the LHS. I did use the pins that are supplied with the c blocks but I have just ordered titanium pins now

RC Racer

Is everything installed correctly as far as you can see? I did not get two threaded screws like he has pictured I got 1 threaded screw to mount it to the A arm then 1 pin with a c clip

the bent c block

ok I have a question
    Looking at the pictures of the c block above that is bent, he has 2 screws there. I look at my c block and only have 1 screw then a pin with c clamps holding it together no other screw? Is that correct?
    Last edited by ironruger; 04-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.

RC Champion
    Ok I have a question

Looking at the pictures of the c block above that is bent, he has 2 screws there. I look at my c block and only have 1 screw then a pin with c clamps holding it together no other screw? Is that correct?
    I put the two screw just to show the difference between the original (short pin) and the new pin i got from the pin set Traxxas 3739. There are two screws normally but the other one runs parrallel to the ground. This bent one is from the bottom to top fix.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Ok. The pin that bent on mine was the king pin that holds the steering block to the caster block.

RC Champion
    Ok. The pin that bent on mine was the king pin that holds the steering block to the caster block.
    Like wise, those are correct , you can get screws that are locked with C clips and like mine that are threaded screws.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    where did you order the threaded ones from? Is that what you replaced the c clip pin with?

I ordered the Lunsford titanium hinge pin set yesterday I am hoping they are strong enough and that the pin I need is in the set

RC Champion
    where did you order the threaded ones from? Is that what you replaced the c clip pin with?

I ordered the Lunsford titanium hinge pin set yesterday I am hoping they are strong enough and that the pin I need is in the set
    I actually got it off best buy. Now Best buy and future shop carry Traxxas products, it is the part number 3739 several pins for 4.89$ Canadian
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    I'm going to wait to see what pins I get with the new set I ordered. The pin that bent fits all the way through the steering block and caster block and is flush on the other side of the A arm