RC Qualifier

4-wheel steering

I just wanted my Jato to corner A little faster. My first idea was to put screws in my front tires, that worked for the front traction part of the problem. Now my front inside wheel wont stay on the ground in A hard corner. Long story short, I ended up with A rear shock setup on the front. Both tires firmly planted, plenty of traction. Too much traction, now the trenchers on the rear are really digging in and flipping it over in A hard corner. So.4-wheel steering. I started with new alumn. arms. Cut up my old bent ones, used part of them to reinforce the new arms and used the rest to reinforce the rear battery box for the new bellcrank. I cut the outside pin holders of the arms and welded them back on to accommodate A c-hub. I also cut the steering arms for the shorter turning radius, was only looking for 10-20% of total turning ability. After looking at A lot of different bellcranks, I settled for the 4-tec's. It was the perfect height and the shorter steering knuckle's were just right. Now I had to put bolts all the way through the battery box because the thin plastic wasn't going to hold even with the reinforcement and put steel eyelets in the holes for strength and wear. The spring tension is controlled by adding or taking washers out. Added 58mm turnbuckles for links and mounted servo on the back of the box. Now, how do I get the servos to have different settings? Answer, my helicopters Tx/Rx, it has the ability to set multiple servos to multiple settings. I found out real fast that 4-wheel steering at high speeds is A bad thing. So I put that servo on channel 5 because it has A variable nob that I can use for steering percentage. I've got A little over 4 hours runtime on it now and everything seems to be doing real well. And I'm loving it, when I go around corners at the track now it looks like rally car on pavement, maybe faster. I'm sorry I can't post any pics, but I'm not much of A computer geek. I just bought this computer to play with A flight simulator.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 04-11-2013 at 06:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Be nice to see a pick of your set up
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    I just wanted my Jato to corner A little faster. My first idea was to put screws in my front tires, that worked for the front traction part of the problem. Now my front inside wheel wont stay on the ground in A hard corner. Long story short, I ended up with A rear shock setup on the front. Both tires firmly planted, plenty of traction. Too much traction, now the trenchers on the rear are really digging in and flipping it over in A hard corner. So.4-wheel steering. I started with new alumn. arms. Cut up my old bent ones, used part of them to reinforce the new arms and used the rest to reinforce the rear battery box for the new bellcrank. I cut the outside pin holders of the arms and welded them back on to accommodate A c-hub. I also cut the steering arms for the shorter turning radius, was only looking for 10-20% of total turning ability. After looking at A lot of different bellcranks, I settled for the 4-tec's. It was the perfect height and the shorter steering knuckle's were just right. Now I had to put bolts all the way through the battery box because the thin plastic wasn't going to hold even with the reinforcement and put steel eyelets in the holes for strength and wear. The spring tension is controlled by adding or taking washers out. Added 58mm turnbuckles for links and mounted servo on the back of the box. Now, how do I get the servos to have different settings? Answer, my helicopters Tx/Rx, it has the ability to set multiple servos to multiple settings. I found out real fast that 4-wheel steering at high speeds is A bad thing. So I put that servo on channel 5 because it has A variable nob that I can use for steering percentage. I've got A little over 4 hours runtime on it now and everything seems to be doing real well. And I'm loving it, when I go around corners at the track now it looks like rally car on pavement, maybe faster. I'm sorry I can't post any pics, but I'm not much of A computer geek. I just bought this computer to play with A flight simulator.

RC poster
    It's better to just adjust the shocks and use the right size anti roll bars together with ride height adjusters, that way you will not need to do all that work. Read up on how you should set up the suspension, and keep in mind that you should never have the ride height hire than than it can dig down on the opposite side of the car, because that is not how it is supposed to be, as you first explained and has a problem with. You can also play around with toe in/out setting up front to make it steer more responsive or make it be more stable going straight ahead.

Also camber angels plays a big role in all of this, what I'm saying is, trying to get around the problem with 4wheelsteering won't solve your problem, but rather get you too many things to change to get it right. 4wheel steering is not what you want if the car is already flipping over, it will make it worse.
    Kyosho Inferno TRX3.3 + Traxxas TQi + telemetry