RC Racer

Can someone tell me about getting a job in the Rc world

I'm interested in working within the Rc world. I would like to work from home beings I'm disabled. I would LOVE to do product testing and reviewing but dont we all haha. Is there any college courses that would help me in finding a Rc job

RC poster
    I am in the same situation as you, I was struck by a 1 ton truck on the highway at 60mph and am in a wheelchair, but the doctors say I will walk again, but have always been in the R/C world....

RC Racer
    I was struck by a dirtbike going 40+ mph headon. My left arm was was shattered from elbow down so I have 5 plates from elbow to wrist. And it is also paralyzed. I'm glad to hear you will walk again. I am in the Midwest and there's not much for an Rc scene. I will move eventually maybe Phoenix will have something. Racing will awesome depending what classes they even do anymore.

RC poster
    Where are you at in the Midwest? I am in St. Louis Missouri.

RC Racer
    Sioux city Iowa

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_handed_bandit_green View Post
    I am in the Midwest and there's not much for an Rc scene. I will move eventually maybe Phoenix will have something. Racing will awesome depending what classes they even do anymore.
    I am in Phoenix and I have a front yard perfect for practicing for races and there are a lot of BMX/RC tracks but at certain hobby stores there are tracks. In front of my favorite hobby store called HobbyTown USA they will sometimes have races. Me and my father build most of our cars. We built our first R/C car together. Most days it is AWESOME weather.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_handed_bandit_green View Post
    I'm interested in working within the Rc world. I would like to work from home beings I'm disabled. I would LOVE to do product testing and reviewing but dont we all haha. Is there any college courses that would help me in finding a Rc job
    Well you could go into electronic engineerig or mechanical engineering. However you're going to be in school for a while...

Most sponsored racers are usually the ones doing the developmental testing and gathering of the results with R/C's....

Pretty sure there's a very long line waiting for the product testing and reviewing positions.. I've been waiting 14 years with no luck.

Your best bet is to check out the employment section Traxxas posts on their main site....

http://traxxas.com/careers
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    As is the case with most good jobs (good paying and something we want to do), you have to know someone. "You can't cross a river without a bridge." Good luck to you my friend. I hope you find something in R/C. There's nothing better than getting payed to do what you love.

Good luck to you all. I've never thought about working in RC world, but now Im interested too

RC Racer
    to become a tester/reviewer you would need to have a large youtube following. start by getting yourself a name and a youtube channel .
    then do some reviews on what you already have ,try to get subscribers . everything is reviewed thru social media these days(aka youtube) the ones who get free products to review are the ones with thousands of subscribers and a established channel .
    they wont just send free products to the average joe and say "here have a go at it " they got to know your a serious contender .
    can you blame them?

good luck i hope you find your dream
    slash P 4x4/cen colossus/rustler vxl/arrma kraton

Engineering is really it. I know a good number of guys from Losi and Axial, team drivers, and they are all engineers that work for those companies on the electrical or mechanical side. You can get lucky and become a paid team driver, if you are good enough, but you need to be in the right spot, at the right time, and that is rare.

Doing reviews is a tough gig to get right and get popular. First, there are A LOT of RC review channels, and a lot make names for themselves in the worst of ways. But, if you do it right, there is always a chance. JANG from URC had very popular RC channels (URC and RC Mania), but he spent an enormous amount of time learning lighting and videography to produce a quality product. Plus, his approach of only reviewing things he bought himself, keeping his reviews unbiased resonated with viewers. Sadly, his local hobby shop shut down and tough restrictions on running RCs in his area forced him into other venues; now he has a wildly popular Lego channel.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I am going to kirkwood right now for mechanical engineering in their CAD program. I got looking at traxxas's requirements and I have at least 5 years of experience to get before Traxxas would even look at a resume from me most likely.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Try to make good youtube videos from new products. Reviews, Upgrade series...

There are people making their money this way.