Thread: Knocking noise

RC Competitor

Knocking noise

Not sure what is causing this noise. I thought it was a bad motor mount bearing that was on it's last leg. So I replaced that and am still getting the noise. Sounds driveline related but I don't see anything unusual. Any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Not sure what is causing this noise. I thought it was a bad motor mount bearing that was on it's last leg. So I replaced that and am still getting the noise. Sounds driveline related but I don't see anything unusual. Any ideas.
    With out hearing it a knocking could be a few things, if you replaced the motor bearings the gear mesh has been corrected but did you inspect the spur for debris between the gears, its amazing how much noise a tiny piece of dirt between the teeth.
    I've had pebbles get caught near the center shaft and inner axles cause different sounds as well.
    I'm certain more help will be chiming in anytime.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    May be the diff's binding. Loosen the bolts of the diff casing see if that solves the issue. That was my case on my p4de,
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Competitor
    What exactly is the diff casing? I was trying to do it fairly quick but didn't see any debris. I'm going to inspect it further and blow it all out with the air compressor, but it almost sounds like a grinding. There isn't anything in the driveshaft. Sounds like it is more towards the rear of the truck.

Alright so I just got done taking the truck apart. I had got an aluminum motor mount while I was getting a new bearing, figured why not upgrade, and when I had it all taken apart noticed a ball from the previous bearing that had exploded got in the spur and wedged itself in the groove. I'm thinking that was the noise so I got it all cleaned up and will drive it tomorrow. If that's it then yeah that is something very tiny that made the noise. It's amazing how awful it sounded.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-10-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: merge

it almost sounds like a grinding.
    Knocking noise
    Hmm two very different noises.
    Is it a hcg or lcg, I've heard the hcg can get dirt and other things in the center shaft area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Alright so I just got done taking the truck apart. I had got an aluminum motor mount while I was getting a new bearing, figured why not upgrade, and when I had it all taken apart noticed a ball from the previous bearing that had exploded got in the spur and wedged itself in the groove. I'm thinking that was the noise so I got it all cleaned up and will drive it tomorrow. If that's it then yeah that is something very tiny that made the noise. It's amazing how awful it sounded.
    That will do it! I had a motor mount bearing explode and the ball bearings got forced into the plastic of the spur gear. Good idea to install an aluminum motor mount. Be sure to get a metal bearing adapter for the slipper clutch.
    Slash Ultimate El Sob special MIP King Headz 3PL

It's amazing how awful it sounded.
    Thats for sure, when you said knocking I thought of how many times I thought my rig was going to explode only to find a piece of debris so small its nearly impossible to believe it was the issue.

RC Racer
    do you use the tekno big bone center shaft ?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That will do it! I had a motor mount bearing explode and the ball bearings got forced into the plastic of the spur gear. Good idea to install an aluminum motor mount. Be sure to get a metal bearing adapter for the slipper clutch.
    Yeah I already replaced that the last time the bearing went bad. I've learned my lesson and got a couple bearings. I took better care of the last one more and got a lot more out of it. I figured whenever stuff breaks I've tried to replace it with aluminum parts if that's better.

RC Qualifier
    So no more noise?
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Competitor
    Just went out and drove it seems to be back to normal. I think I'm going to take it back a part and deep clean it back to newish. Of course it seems like it never stays that way very long.