Thread: need new diffs

RC Competitor

need new diffs

what kind of diffs is better than the stockers .they leak a couple runs after i fill them up. ive rebuilt them i dont know how many times and they still leak. i have the cd with 100k in it. i want something i dont have to tear apart all the time. any help would be helpful

RC Champion
    RCM Diffs are the best available.

Run 500k in the CD, less unloading to the front axle.
    RLTW

RC Competitor
    hey im in the same boat just came here to ask the same question.i blew out the rear diff in mine and need a new one.probably replace both while im at it.where do you get rcm diffs?also fluid suggestions?
    Last edited by rtkota360; 08-14-2008 at 08:53 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    The diff are not the problem. You need to replace the blue x-ring with a o-ring. I have 30 or 50 in front, 5 or 10 in rear and 500 in the center. over 3 years with no problems(I race my revo)
    TRAXXAS ROCKS !!!

RC Competitor
    thanks guys ive tryed everything but putting o rings in it. i also seen pics of someother diff other than revo diffs but i dont know what they are. ill try the o rings if they dont work ill get the rcm diffs a try

RC Champion
    Here is the RCM diffs.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...flmrvdf&cat=44

X Rings are problematic if not installed correctly. However, the RCM setup uses a better design. Take a look at the link and then check out Shelby VNT's Revo Build. He pretty well lays out the advantages of it. I've never had one fail.
    RLTW

RC Champion
    Also I run between 7k and 10 in the front and between 3k and 5k in the rear (with the RCM diffs)

I have stock diffs in another Revo and run 50k front 500k center and 20k rear. (the 20k is a mix of 10k and 30k)
    RLTW

RC Champion
    Besides Traxxas Revo diffs, there are some Robinson Racing upgrades for the stocker gears, and you can also buy aluminum diff cases, both inner and outer, from a variety of aftermarket manufacturers, like Integy, Golden Horizons, and I think Hardcore Racing. These would direct replacements for the stockers.

The other differentials available are RC Monster 1/8 scale hybrid differentials. I have a set and they are awesome. 1,000 times better then stock. I must have been one of the guys who didn't have much luck with the stockers because mine were feeling notchy after 1 gallon of fuel, and that was with the stock TRX 3.3. I didn't even do any adbusive jumping, but since I've upgraded, I've never looked back. The downside to RC Monster diffs is they are expensive and you may or may not need to massage the inside of your Revo's bulkheads to fit. Also, you are somewhat limited to the center driveshafts you can run, although the stockers work fine and RC Monster has a custom differential output yoke that can accept the stock shafts. There may be other options, in the way of CVDs, but since I do not run them, I can't really offer much support in that respect. The stockers have held up great for me, thus far. Another memeber here, Intrg8r, who also runs the RC Monster diffs may be able to chime in. He was looking for a possible combination that would work with the RC Monster diffs and allow him to run some CVDs. I'm sure he'll find this thread. Just give him a little time.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC Champion
    I did purchase the RCM yokes and am currently running those in conjunction with the Stock Center Drive shafts in one of my Revos.

In the new Revo, I am trying MIP center CVDs with UE (Unlimited Engineering) 8mm drive cups on the pinions. I don't know if it will work, but we will see. Hopefully I'll have the parts to start the build by September.

Typically, people do not have issues with the center driveshafts breaking, so the center CVD may be overkill.
    RLTW

RC Champion
    Let me know how that works out for you!

RC Competitor
    wow them are pretty expensive i dont think im going to spend that much. im going to try the orings. that is a nice truck shelbyvnt.i never had this problem with the 3.3 but since i got a rb it keeps blowing out the front

RC Champion
    Thanks. The diffs are pricey, but well worth it. Still, not everyone's cup of tea, and I can understand that. Bang for the buck, there are many other things a guy can spend the money on.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fmf
    wow them are pretty expensive i dont think im going to spend that much. im going to try the orings. that is a nice truck shelbyvnt.i never had this problem with the 3.3 but since i got a rb it keeps blowing out the front
    Yup. They are. I did the math once and you can buy like 23 stockers for the price of the RCM's, but you never have to replace the RCM diffs!

Shelby, I'll be sure the post how that works out.
    RLTW

RC poster
    I just purchased a Brushless E Revo with the 2200 Mamba Monster. I Really like the truck, but I started running into problems right away. First I was breaking U joints in the rear axles, so I bought the Traxxas Cvd's. They worked greak until I blew my rear Diff. I really want to buy RCM Diffs, but the site says they're out of stock and it won't let me email them to ask questions about when they're are going to have more availivle. Does anybody know when or where I can get my hands on a set of RCM Diffs?