RC Champion

who likes the smc lipo's?

hey guys been priceing around for some lipo's and it seems that spc and smc are neck and neck for total cost to the door

so depending on costs (price per pack)i would most likely going with smc.now i here how good spc is.and my experience is that they are worth it and are exellent.but i havent herd much oh how people like the smc packs for the summit.

smc users how do you like your smc lipo's in a summit aplication?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Racer
    Be sure to let us know what u think of them. Just ran mine in in the mountains for the last thee days on the spc, and I could not believe the run time. Just crawling mind you.
    Could you post a link to the smc?
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Champion
    im not sure on the forum rools but google smc batterys

spec's are 2s 9000mah 60c with a 2c charge rate

so about 800mah more and a diffrent c rateing

RC Qualifier
    I have SMCs C-Max Extreme 6000mAh 60c hardcase, I've had them for 1.5 years about 100 cycles, they charged to 4.19+, they used to hit 4.2V. They don't sell these anymore.

These are the only batts ever ran in my Summit so I can't compare but they are very reliable, both peak within seconds of each other on my dual charger.

I think the reason you don't hear much about SMC is they were expensive and always out of stock. IMO as a business they were not aggressive and SPC came in and grabbed market share, SPC has good service, pricing and product to ship. That's why SPC is so popular around here.

Here is SMC's site:
    http://www.smc-racing.net/

Here are the monster batts that fit in the Summit:
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...&product_id=86

Here is a response I got from them when I asked about their C ratings:
    "... it's a shame that C rates are just used for marketing. To be honest even ours aren't accurate as we use what the Factories provide us for specs. Since there is no standard for C rates we have no way of knowing how they achieve the C rates they claim."

From their response, I assume they do not test the packs themselves and just take the factories word for what they are being sent. Because of this, I would choose SPC over SMC. SPC has been out of stock before because they refused shipments of sub-par batteries... this leads be to believe SPC tests what they receive before sending it out to tarnish their name.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I know spc tests for a fact. they won't sell them until they've been tested
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

I know spc tests for a fact. they won't sell them until they've been tested
    +1, they test every battery before selling it. Great company!
    My life is busy, but I'm still lurking! 24 RC's

RC Qualifier
    +2 They are the best batteries I can find. Who else do you know quotes you a price for shipping then gets the actual cost for the shipping and puts cash in the box for the difference. Last time I got 8.40 cents in cash in the box. Buy once from Spc and you wont buy from any one else.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    +2 They are the best batteries I can find. Who else do you know quotes you a price for shipping then gets the actual cost for the shipping and puts cash in the box for the difference. Last time I got 8.40 cents in cash in the box. Buy once from Spc and you wont buy from any one else.
    Yeah, and sometimes Lifesaver candies and a pen comes in the box! (I've gotten shipping refunds too. )
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    ^^^^Really, that is sweet.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    I got pens.. where's my candy? LoL
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Qualifier
    I have one SMC and two SPCs. SMC batteries can be charged up to 6C but SPCs seem to pack more punch.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last edited by Jakey; 08-28-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey guys been priceing around for some lipo's and it seems that spc and smc are neck and neck for total cost to the door

so depending on costs (price per pack)i would most likely going with smc.now i here how good spc is.and my experience is that they are worth it and are exellent.but i havent herd much oh how people like the smc packs for the summit.

smc users how do you like your smc lipo's in a summit aplication?
    I have both and love them both. SMC gets the edge right now as i refuse to use UPS personally right now.
    The lipo shipping laws and SPC shipping only via UPS to Canada takes my money elsewhere for the time being.
    Added bonus for us Canuck's is there's a Fellow inQuebec reselling the SMC Lipos. You pay a bit more for them as opposed to buying from SMC direct, but his shipping is much cheaper and no duty/brokerage etc. Works out to basically the same price.

I picked up a pair of the 7200mah 70C 2s for my XO-1 and good lord. What a battery. Up next is at least 1 pair of the 9000mah 60c for my ERBE and Summit.
    Last edited by Cameron; 08-28-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    im sorry tom but its the budget.........then again by the time i have the money the canadian sale will be over anyways .and if so i will be buying spc for sure cant justify paying extra for 800mah unless its cheaper or same cost.

camron:..thats the guy that im looking at for the smc's......he quoted me 13-14 bucks for shipping 4 of the smc lipo's
    Last edited by reod12x2; 08-28-2013 at 08:11 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered a set of the 8200's from SPC tonight... I will give you all a review when they show up in the mail.

I just read that thread on SPC puffing ... I hope that was just a fluke.

I've had about two dozen (that's 24 for anyone who happens to be mathematically challenged) SPC Racing LiPos over the last 5+ years. There has never been a fluke, although there were a couple I killed through my own mistake or carelessness. Their 8000-class LiPos are my favorites.

Old thread but I'm like to add my experience. After owning both SMC and SPC, You cannot make a mistake with either one. Both companies offer a excellent lipo for a great price and the performance is excellent too.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Racer
    currently both companies have similarly rated 3s packs on back order, ive contacted both and it seems they both expect them in stock around the same time,

I wondering if they use the same factory to supply their batteries or are even affiliated with one another? ......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The companies noted are not affiliated. Different owners and located in different states ... different companies.

For what it's worth I just bought two sets of LiPo's, one set is a SMC 6900 70C,
    and the other set is a Traxxas 5800 25C. Next new one's will be Traxxas.
    I run these mostly in my Summit.
    Last edited by Rich2; 10-11-2014 at 06:35 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    For what it's worth I just bought two sets of LiPo's, one set is a SMC 6900 70C,
    and the other set is a Traxxas 5800 25C. Next new one's will be Traxxas.
    I run these mostly in my Summit.
    rich can you elaborate? i am currently looking for a new 3s and was going to wait for smc or spc to restock because those numbers are tempting but i have always felt you get better quality with traxxas parts,

are you saying the traxxas battery outperforms the smc ?

Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    rich can you elaborate? i am currently looking for a new 3s and was going to wait for smc or spc to restock because those numbers are tempting but i have always felt you get better quality with traxxas parts,

are you saying the traxxas battery outperforms the smc ?
    Thats what I've found, more bang, enough for me to form an honest opinion.
    I think I now know why they cost more.

RC Qualifier
    I run the SMC 9400mah 2S packs in my Summit and love them! Long run times and plenty of power!

Though I am not running a brushless system. But I am running the DeWalt 14.4 in it.

I have no complaints with these packs. But they are the only SMC packs I own.

Rich can you tell us what exactly is better about the Traxxas packs over the SMC packs please?

Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    I run the SMC 9400mah 2S packs in my Summit and love them! Long run times and plenty of power!

Though I am not running a brushless system. But I am running the DeWalt 14.4 in it.

I have no complaints with these packs. But they are the only SMC packs I own.

Rich can you tell us what exactly is better about the Traxxas packs over the SMC packs please?
    I think the Traxxas is a better battery, The two sets have been cycled under load
    four times and each time the Traxxas feels stronger in acceleration and speed, and
    the voltage numbers seem closer while charging, storing and after runs. I'm not an
    expert with batteries but I can tell you advertized numbers mean squat. As far as
    run time is concerned I obviously can't say, they're different mah, but they were
    both run under the same conditions.

RC poster
    I haven't had any Traxxas lipos but I currently have (2) SMC 2S-6000-80C batteries that have been flawless. I run them in my 4wd SCT. Customer service is great at SMC, Danny, the owner, always gets back to me via email within hours whenever I have contacted him. He just told me yesterday that they will be getting in 4S-6700-60C packs in May. These will be a great truggy pack.

RC poster
    Would you guys recommend these for a summit? Factory Spec 7.4V 9000mAh 60C Deans

Sure... but the Traxxas version will not require a connector change.

RC poster
    I have a onyx 245 5amp dual charger. Will it charge 9400mah lipo? I believe it would, but it would just take a long time right?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgeek65 View Post
    Would you guys recommend these for a summit? Factory Spec 7.4V 9000mAh 60C Deans
    Go with the Traxxas connector, makes no sense to use Deans. We used this setup in my sons Summit and they run long.

Quote Originally Posted by rcgeek65 View Post
    I have a onyx 245 5amp dual charger. Will it charge 9400mah lipo? I believe it would, but it would just take a long time right?
    Correct. Just turn off the mAh limit if it has one.

RC poster
    How long does it take to restock them or is there another place I can get them?

RC poster
    Would I be better off getting 4, 5000mah or 2, 9000 mah lipos for my summit?

5,000mAh will get you about 1 hour of run time in low gear.
    9,000mAh will get you about 2 hours of run time in low gear.

So... how much run time do you need?

RC Racer
    Another vote for SPC. Just ordered 2 6500mAh 65c 3s batteries. They mistakenly sent a 5500 mAh 50c battery. Not only are they sending me the correct battery, they also gave me the option of keeping the one sent in error at their cost which is a significant savings over retail.. Great customer service in my book..

PS.. I got pens!

RC Qualifier
    My smc 5000mah give me about 1:15 mins driving mainly in low but kicked into high a few times. When just running around in high it's about 30-35 mins per pair.
    Josh

RC poster
    I just found this forum today, I have looked over the subjects and this is the only one I see so far talking about batteries.
    I have read all of the above and I have a question about LiPos in general.

I just ordered the new Summit yesterday. It has the 16.8v EVX-2 esc with LVD.
    Everyone is talking about the "C" value, mah value, and 2,3s...

What about the voltage?
    Does the voltage stack when using 2 batteries? 7.4v x 2 = 14.8v?
    11.1 x 2 = 22.2v?

If so how/why do I see people using 11.1v in the Summit? Wouldn't 22.2v damage the 16.8v ESC?

who likes the smc lipo's?

Yes, voltage is added for packs in series. However, you are using nominal voltage for your calculations. You could also use maximum voltage, 8.4V for 2S packs and 12.6V for 3S packs.
    Those using two 3S packs are doing so with a different, most likely brushless ESCs. The EVX-2 should not even arm when using 6S (5S for the new ones.)