RC Competitor

EZ-Start, Glow PLug light not on? Help

Hello,

MY revo stopped working recently, and this is my symptom:

I put my EZ start pack into the slot, and hit the button, and the Motor light comes on, but not the glow-plug light.

I took out the glow-plug, and its not burnt out. I replaced the glow-plug wire, so its not that either.

The only thing that I can exactly think of, is maybe the little washer that goes underneath the glow-plug got put on upside down. I have tried putting it on the right side like 4 times, but it never worked. I cant tell which side is up and which side is down, so I tried to do it a bunch in hopes that it would be the right one and work, no dice.

And ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Just because your glowplug doesnt look burnt does not mean that it is good. try a new one and let us know how it goes.

RC Qualifier
    If the Glow-plug light is not lite then it's most likely burnt out. You have a glow plug ignitor to put the glow plug in to make positively sure it's not burnt out?

RC Champion
    i had a similar problem turned out to be the wand was bad
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Competitor
    Gah, dont have any spare glow-plugs :P

Now i gotta go out and buy one and test that out, any other ideas?

RC Racer
    Yeah, go out and buy a glow starter. The easy start is not as easy as they make it out to be. More trouble than it is worth. Blue wire gets frayed and stops working, then the prongs in the box on the truck wear and tend to get bent and pushed down, causing the problem that you are having. Also, the metal connectors in the wand can be pushed in and not making contact. Ditch the easy start and the weight and get a roto start or something similar. Same type of wand to carry around and not as many parts to go bad. Just my $.02.

RC Racer
    Sorry, I meant glow ignitor. Had starter on the brain.

RC Competitor
    I test drove it around last week to make sure it still worked after not driving it for a month. Now im going to sell it and I cant get it to run, dont really want to invest in a glow ignitor....

RC Qualifier
    Check the yellow wire
    Loud Pipes Save Lives**SO**Let'R'Rip***

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    take your plug out, and plug the blue wire on it. put your ez-start in the slot and place the threads of the glow plug on the engine head. turn your truck over, and it should glow red. if not check your yellow ground that its tight and clean.
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

RC Champion
    Before you do what tmaxxchump suggests (which is exactly correct), disconnect one of the leads from the EZ start motor. I forgot to do this once while testing a glow plug and had nitro fuel shot straight into my eye as the engine turned over.
    Revo 3.3 mk1, Xray M18MT, LRP Shark MT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesalt
    Before you do what tmaxxchump suggests (which is exactly correct), disconnect one of the leads from the EZ start motor. I forgot to do this once while testing a glow plug and had nitro fuel shot straight into my eye as the engine turned over.
    +1
    i completed forgot about that. i have a pullstarter for years now.
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

RC poster
    Sorry to bring old thread up, but I had exactly the same problem as Favre and MRB1GG - bad EZ-Start wand. It didn't heat the glow plug on my Jato. So instead of buying a new wand or additional glow plug ignitor I repaired the wand.
    This is supposed to be done by somebody that is familiar with electronic schematics, soldering and desoldering of electrical elements!
    When you open the EZ-Start wand you can see that there are two transistors. First I replaced the big one (with the metal heatsink) - it's D1062. But it didn't fix the problem. So I replaced the small one - it's C3199, actually this small transistor is making the big transistor supply the 1.8V necessary to ignite the glow plug.
    And that's it Now I have running EZ-Start stick that heats the glow plug and starts the engine from a few turns.

RC poster
    mine was the wand too