RC Competitor

Steel gears for slayer transmission

I haven't had any luck on finding steel gears for the trans on my slayer, any info would be helpful.

The only place I know that makes steel gears for the Slayer is Robinson Racing. For some reason, a while back when I was looking on their site, I think there was like one trans gear that they didn't make that would make the Slayer's trans full steel, using their parts made for Revo transmissions. Here is a link, check the bottom of the page. LINK Hope this helps...
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply! Are the gear ratios the same as the revo?

Are the gear ratios the same as the revo?
    To be 100% honest, I think the the Revo is geared lower because it has the larger tires... Maybe you could make up the difference by changing the pinion and spur gear...Give me a sec, I'll look it up.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-01-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Ok, here's a link that shows the steel gears in a Revo. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ht=steel+gears
    And here is a link to all of the gears. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ht=steel+gears

If some one knows the difference between the Slayer gears and the Revo gears, please chime in.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.

The final drive gear is different to make up the difference in tire size.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Ok, that's what I figured. I just bought the integy alum trans cases, and figured while I had it apart I would upgrade gears. I don't like plastic!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ok, here's a link that shows the steel gears in a Revo. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ht=steel+gears
    And here is a link to all of the gears. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ht=steel+gears

If some one knows the difference between the Slayer gears and the Revo gears, please chime in.
    both trucks uses the same 1st gear and your choice of close, standard, and wide 2nd gear. now with the final drive as mention by DG is what makes the two trucks different, revo final drive has 28t/28t while slayer has 33t/23t. its best to keep the plastic final drive stock as the weak point with that being said i have'nt broke mine even on 6s.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Competitor
    Looking at the RR site the only gear they don't offer in steel is first gear?? I will be going to the 28t/28t final and changing my spur and clutch bell to compensate since they don't have 33t/23t final drive in steel.

RC Qualifier
    What engine are you running? My stock gears hold up great..I've ran the 3.3 , picco .26reddot, now the picco .28 no issues..
    My opinion would be steel trans gears are not needed.just more rotating mass. But it is only a opinion
    Where It's All RC

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrmcmlln View Post
    Looking at the RR site the only gear they don't offer in steel is first gear?? I will be going to the 28t/28t final and changing my spur and clutch bell to compensate since they don't have 33t/23t final drive in steel.
    i think you can buy them only with the whole gear set. heres what i bought from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Rac...item460d94c816
    FYI the FOC outputshaft dont work with the final gears, you have to buy the revo outputshaft for forward/reverse.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 04-02-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the info! To ckeith I'm runing stock motor for now. The plastic gears will hold up I'm sure, but I like the realistic feel of steel. After I install the picco .26 I don't think the performance will be effected to much. I'm FO SHO, NOT FO GO.

Ok, that's what I figured. I just bought the integy alum trans cases, and figured while I had it apart I would upgrade gears. I don't like plastic!
    IF you are using just a small block, a forward only transmission with plastic gears works fine... Drop metal gearing in will increase the amount of rotational mass and your performance will decrease a little...

Now, if you are dropping in a Mid block lika a Picco or a BB like an RB TM523 then yup,,, metal gears may be in order.

I've put 20 gallons on a tranny that was forward only and raced as well as bashed pretty hard.... No problems with the plastic gears at all... I did shim the tranny to take out some excess play hear and there but overall with good bearings it holds up well..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Competitor
    Do you need to grease the plastic gears?

Do you need to grease the plastic gears?
    You can but you need to be extremely careful not to get any on the OWB area or it's going to slip.... Lithium grease, an extremely light coat on plastic gears...

But honestly,,, I don't. Only my bearings... The plastic gears are made of a material that requires no lubrication. In fact some Traxxas manuals have stated they are self lubricating....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Competitor
    Thnx for the info.