Thread: I want a MERV!

RC Racer

I want a MERV!

Do you think this is a good deal?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/3708287995.html

RC Qualifier
    your kinda taking a chance if you don't know if it runs....but maybe offer him $100 if he needs cash.

RC Racer
    I talked to the guy and he said its only been ran once, ever. I'm picking it up after work.

RC Qualifier
    Nice!...hope it works out for you. Mervs are fun little monsters when you throw a lipo in it.

RC Racer
    Well, ok. That kid was a lying little turd. Maybe he ran it once in to a brick wall, over and over again. But, it works. Yes, I got it. The whole suspension is upgraded with some aluminum and some rpm parts but its mushy. Really loose. Its going to need some love and fix'n up. I think me and my kid will have fun working on it. I ran it last night with the two six cells the kid gave me and it was pretty fast. I hooked a 3s to it to see what it can do. Back flips! Awesome! Even with big 5000mah 3s strapped to the front end lol. Ya, I got to get one that fits. Any suggestions on batteries? I'm thinking x2 3s in parallel. Is that to much? You'll be seeing more of me on the MERV forums. Just warning you.

RC Qualifier
    Lol....post pics.

RC Racer
    3s is a lot for the standard ESC -> it will fry if you dont beave
    You should drive 3S only for speed runs. Parallel is a bad idea because of no cool down time between the lipo change.
    Changing the Gear Ratio is also recommendable for 3s.

I just own one 3S LiPo, its the one from traxxas and I'm satisfied with it.

RC Racer
    I don't know if this is true for the MERV, but in my mini slash when I have 2 batteries in it the suspension sags and brushes against the ground. Just some advice.
    How do you "Slash" without a sword?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sounds like you need new/stiffer springs!
    the stock springs are on the light side but not a deal breaker

RC Racer
    I haven't had much time to work on it lately but will be digging in to it soon. I'll post pics as soon as I can. I did pick up two Traxxas 3 cells. I don't need to run them in parallel. I can run them one at a time and I usually check temps often. It seems to get very hot fast. So far it seems that just about every screw hole on this thing is stripped as screws keep falling out. I picked up a rear diff case cause the screws that were in it were over sized. I got a new motor mount plate to replace the installed mangled STRC plate and a 55 tooth spur. The shocks wont hold oil. They just leak it all out. Should I rebuild these (I think stock) shocks or is there a better option? I'm going to completely tear the truck apart, clean and piece the truck back together correctly as I like things to be done rite. I'm completely new to the MERV so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

RC Racer
    I drive gtr shocks with stiffer springs.
    Exotek and GPM are also possible alternatives i think.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Get a new chassis if all the screw holes are stripped and do a rit dye. Think it was only $17.99 for it plus the dye.

Last edited by firemanJBI; 04-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Racer
    Your truck looks pristine fireman. Looks good. Thats pretty cheap for a chassis. I'll have to get one for the rebuild. What is rit dye? Is that purely cosmetic?

I'm not sure but I think those GTR shocks look like the ones already on the truck. I'll check when I get home.

RC Qualifier
    Rit Dye is a powder you mix with boiling water, then insert the chassis (or any other plastic) into it. 15min later black (or other colour of your choice). Guys use it on chassis, rims, a-arms etc etc, skys the limit. Google it for a video on You Tube. leprechaun79 has a good video.

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHJ6BAr3Fk

You should be able to get it at your local Wal-Mart etc in the US. Its not available here in Canada, and I have to order on Ebay. Its real cheap though and a cool mod
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-04-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: merge
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Racer
    The Gtr ones look very similar to the Stock ones.
    My Stock ones begin to leak After jumping for some time, so I Changed Them. If Im right the Gtr shock bodies color is a little bit golden.

Atm i use the springs of the little summit, perfect for bashing with 80 wt oil. For speed runs i can lower the rides high to a Minimum also.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Just thought this was a funny pic.

That is a sheet metal screw on the shock knuckle thingy. I've got a new rear diff and correct screws. I think i need bearings cause there just plastic, umm like bushings?

It seems like this drive shaft cover is to short? something is not rite here.

The tear down has begun.

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-04-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    I've got a new chassis on order. I just picked up a center diff, bunch of screws, front diff case, bearings and other misc. parts. For as much money as I've put in to this thing already, I could have bought a brand new one. I did spend $60 dollars on batteries though. After I get it all put back together, I'm really going to consider selling it and buying a new car. I'm not sure it will be a MERV though. If I do decide to sell it, I will sell it for more than I paid originally. It will of course be in a lot better shape and running condition than when I bought it.

RC Racer
    I think the only advantage of buying such a wreck in my eyes is, that you spend less money for the merv and invest money for upgrading instead of buying stock again. -> With the right parts you will get an awsome little basher

Another reason why you shouldn't resell:
    - Now you know the car and the parts it consists of
    - You will probably loose money (wreck + invest = more than resell price)
    - The MERV is in its class one of the best cars

RC Racer
    I'll probably keep it... I've been drooling over the mini 8ight lately. Anyway, I want to know how I can tell if I've got stock shocks or not. You can see them kinda through the dirt in the pics above. They are metal shock body's. The rods are goldish color, I think Ti Ni coated. Are stock shocks plastic? Are these stock? They leak like crazy. Wonder if they just need a rebuild or if I should upgrade to something else?

Sweet! Parts just came in. New chassis and black and tan springs.
    Last edited by Climax; 04-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    From what you are describing they sound like the GTR shocks...A lot of people run HR shock bodies with the traxxas seals. One thing I'm doing on my Big Block MERV when I do my rebuild. Think last time I checked they were like 8-9 bucks for two...And the stock shocks are plastic bodies...

RC Racer
    The stock ones are just black. What you describe sounds like GTR shocks, on the pics i cant see something "golden".
    Could depend on the dirt and the fact that its a photo.

Like Bomber says many use the HR shock bodies with the traxxas seals. -> the biggest upgrade you can do on your shocks are the exotek bigbores. I'm thinking about of doing this upgrade, even though im glad with my GTR ones and Summit springs.

RC Racer
    Here's how it sits now.

Lots of new parts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's the fun part! Having a bunch of parts ready to go on!

RC Racer
    Got it all back together. Runs great. It handles a lot better with stiffer springs and center diff. I cracked open the center diff and it was a little wet but pretty much empty, from traxxas. I filled it with 20k being thats all I had laying around. I want to go thicker. What would you recommend for general bashing? I installed a 55 tooth spur, from the fifty that was on there. It really seems to be a lot slower. Didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I ran two full 3s packs in parallel and motor temp never broke 120. I might try a 45 tooth spur. I love the way this thing handles.

RC Racer
    After writing the above comment, I'm wondering if I'm running in training mode lol? I'll have to do some reading and figure out how to toggle that setting.

RC Qualifier
    I run 23 tooth pinion 50 spur on 3s all the time on a stock original ESC that came with my Merv (almost 2 years old). It never overheats and is a great mix of accel and top speed. A lot of people run into heat issues on 3s because the run the stock set up of 28/50 and smoke their ESC.

Here's a pic of my HR shock bodies using all of the stock parts except the aluminum bodies.