I figured since Iím new to the forum the best way to introduce myself would be to start a build thread. My name is Ed (or Zed) Iím 33 and Iíve been into RCís on and off for about 10yrs. I bought my Summit as a way to spend time with my girlfriend as she said she had an interest in RC rockcrawling. We both have Summitís and use them as means to motivate ourselves to go out and walk some of the bazillion trails found in Washington state. Iíve already done a few mods to my rig and thought the mod I did to the tranny gears to reduce the slop may be of interest to other Summit enthusiasts. With the exception of the brushless setup, most of the mods/parts have been done over the last 10wks (mostly the last 4wks).
So without wasting any more time here is my Summit the day I bought it from my LHS used for $375 with my 3.3 revo.
Okay, I have given up on resizing these pics as I've tried 3 times and they come out the same when I post them. So I apologize for the "in yo face" appearance, lol. Anywho, moving on...
It came with 8 battery packs, 4 of them were 4200mAh and the other 4 were 3000mAh which were dead and unable to hold a charge (I didnít found out after the purchase, lol). It was a decent price, but needed some TLC in order to be up to my standards. I managed to get a set of four complete axles and knuckles for $60 delivered off of eBay. The other issue that was a problem for me was the motor, the bushings were toast and it took almost a ľ throttle to get the truck to move. So before I even got to run the truck I ordered an HPI Flux/Castle Creations Mamba Max setup off of eBay for $270 shipped.
I ran the truck this way for a good while with NIMH batteries and saw 40min+ runtimes while crawling and some sprinting around. Many people have asked why I chose the HPI BL system over the regular Mamba Max and it came down to cost. The HPI branded items were cheaper by about $50 and give the same performance.
When I rebuilt the shocks I decided to add the variable dampening pistons to help stiffen up the compression stroke. I did this to help avoid bottoming out while jumping and still giving me the suspension travel needed to navigate obstacles.
My truck sat for about 6mo. until I managed to buy another Summit for my GF. Here is her truck we got for $440 shipped with a new stock motor in the package and 4 battery packs. Itís mostly stock except for now itís upgraded with a Mamba Max brushless setup. There is also 9oz of weight in each front wheel to help with the climbing.
Since we didnít get as good of a deal on her truck, I had to buy more batteries so we could run together. SoÖ.I took a leap of faith and bought 4 LiPo packs
Well, thats all for the moment, I have a 44pg word document on this subject so I'll finish at a later time.