Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

New monster Stampede 4x4 about to commence build

Folks, having just upgraded my sons Stampede 4x4 to the max since Oct 2012, I bought my second son a Stampede 4x4 as well. It hasn't been run yet as I plan to strip it of all new parts and replace with every mod I did to the first Stampede which is now a monster of a truck. This time round, I decided to save several hundred $$$ in postage and ordered all the mods in one hit from 1 supplier. The good thing is that this will save me over $300 in shipping alone as the first Stampede I did resulted in doing 1 mod at a time which meant a lot of extra $$$ in postage. So the journey begins. The only mod I have not ordered for the 2nd Stampede below is the Castle 2650kv and Mamba monster 2 system. Having only just finished installing this combo in my first Stampede, I will wait a little an run this one on the Velinion 3500 until I finish all the below mods in the photo.. Note that the total sum of the mods below is double what I paid for the Stampede 4x4 brand new. They are an insane vehicle. The scary thing is that I have a running total in a spreadsheet I keep up to date. Scary how much you can spend on a toy

RC Racer
    Also, just had to tape the inside of my Trencher tyres for my 1st Stampede as they ballooned like nothing I've seen before.....on 4s of course. 4s is just too much power for this car IMHO but good for very short and uncontrollable bursts of fun. I used the boiling method and did 4 layers of very strong adhesive tape.i will see how this runs tomorrow but I am expecting zero ballooning.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like Christmas for someone! :-)

RC Qualifier
    Woh...that's a lot of goodies!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

Well dude its nice to see you dont mess about when it comes to making your pede mint.I will be watching this build looks to be a good one........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    A spreadsheet of total cost!? Sounds like something not to show the mrs!

My wife would cut my bits off if i ordered that amount of hop-ups.....peace

RC Racer

RPM Front arms installed
    MIPS front left and right installed with red loctite
    Front castor and steering aluminium blocks installed
    Front Traxxas big bore shocks installed
    Front aluminium shock tower installed
    Aluminium wheelie wheels installed
    RPM front bumper installed

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    My wife would cut my bits off if i ordered that amount of hop-ups.....peace
    My wife is understanding as it is for the kids I'm just helping them out
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-24-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: merge

Oh yeah for the kids right......peace

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build, There's nothing better than getting a box full of new parts to upgrade your truck.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Wow, one shot. Looking great.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    Awesome build, There's nothing better than getting a box full of new parts to upgrade your truck.
    It is good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackelaktor View Post
    Also, just had to tape the inside of my Trencher tyres for my 1st Stampede as they ballooned like nothing I've seen before.....on 4s of course. 4s is just too much power for this car IMHO but good for very short and uncontrollable bursts of fun. I used the boiling method and did 4 layers of very strong adhesive tape.i will see how this runs tomorrow but I am expecting zero ballooning.
    Well. The taping worked very well. No ballooning on 4s but I threaded my 2nd rear right wheel again. Taping has made the truck corner so much better as the tyres are staying intact under heavy acceleration. Just got to tighten my wheels so they don't thread. Real painfull when you lose a near new wheel and tyre because they aren't able to handle extreme power.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-24-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I love your first pic with all the new parts so much that I did a screen shot lol. Have fun with it.

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    Christmas came very early for you man!

Love how you swapped the big bore shock caps with blue alum ones to compliment the blue parts. The red springs add a nice touch.

Great looking truck!
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah this is looking very good!

RC Champion
    Isn't the point of a stampede that it's cheap? If your gonna spend that much on upgrades why not just start with a truck that was meant to go at 4s speeds?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Isn't the point of a stampede that it's cheap? If your gonna spend that much on upgrades why not just start with a truck that was meant to go at 4s speeds?
    IMO, the P4de is one of the most flexible and most durable platforms available. I chose a P4de because the roller was inexpensive, it runs on a single battery, I prefer the size, it is easy to work on, and parts are readily available. I'm happy that I chose a P4de because it takes one heck of a beating.
    Someone stole my signature.

+1 my pede loves a good kicking and it can handle alot more than people think and the pede can easy take the punishment of 4s anyday......peace

RC Qualifier
    +1 my pede loves a good kicking and it can handle alot more than people think and the pede can easy take the punishment of 4s anyday......peace
    +2!

Totally agree with doubletapdaddy and Spennie.
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    IMO, the P4de is one of the most flexible and most durable platforms available. I chose a P4de because the roller was inexpensive, it runs on a single battery, I prefer the size, it is easy to work on, and parts are readily available. I'm happy that I chose a P4de because it takes one heck of a beating.
    Exactly. No matter what car I buy, I was always going to change everything I could on it. I have a modification fetish and find it difficult to leave anything in stock form. The Pede 4x4 with a few upgrades will happily run 4s and that's why I went for it. Also wanted a single battery car.

RC Racer
    Great haul pic BTW. Gonna have loads of fun with that P4de.

Exactly. No matter what car I buy, I was always going to change everything I could on it. I have a modification fetish and find it difficult to leave anything in stock form.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-25-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: merge

+1 Its all about modding and making stuff your own dude.....peace

RC Qualifier
    It's all about mods. Build it, Bash it, crash it, and build it back up. Bigger and Badder

Edited for bypassing the language filter. Please refrain from inserting symbols in order to get around the filter--it is there for a reason.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Competitor
    i wish i would've taken that approach when i got my p4de. i had 12-15 different shipments over the course of 2-3 months and the look on my wife's face grew more and more dissatisfied each time the delivery guy came to the door.

i also have a spreadsheet... good thing she doesn't have access to that, but i know she has a fairly good idea of the accrued expenses

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by __tk__ View Post
    i wish i would've taken that approach when i got my p4de. i had 12-15 different shipments over the course of 2-3 months and the look on my wife's face grew more and more dissatisfied each time the delivery guy came to the door.

i also have a spreadsheet... good thing she doesn't have access to that, but i know she has a fairly good idea of the accrued expenses
    Had the same with my first Pede4x4 and she saw my spreadsheet when it was just over $2k. We had a discussion and I suggested it was much cheaper than modifying my real car. She agreed and we are all good now. Doesn't matter what I get, I like to personalize it to my taste

With the 2nd Pede, have saved heaps of cash by ordering everything at once.

RC Racer
    Day 3 - Good Friday

Spent the whole day from 8am to 4pm finishing off the upgrades to my second Pede (actually my sons Pede).

had to dremel these rear bearing carriers so the rear MiPS would have enough clearance when the cars rear suspension was under no load. If not, the rear MIPs knuckle would rub a little at maximum ride height.

here is the rear of the car after being upgraded with RPM A arms, Traxxas aluminium shock tower, caster blocks, bearing carriers, x duty MIPS, Traxxas big bores with 55wt oil.

Then it was time to strengthen up the supporting bits related to the motor
    notice the motor mount bearing size difference and this after market one is the telemetry version for the RPM/speed telemetry which I also installed along side temp and voltage.
    and look at the size difference of the heavy duty slipper clutch plate from stock. I am using the aluminium pads as well
    time for a super strong metal gear servo that has more than enough torque and is more than twice as quick at the stock 2075 servo. They are expensive but awesome for the Pede (maybe a little overkill too).

now the stock bell crank needs replacing to deal with the massive torque of the metal gear servo. Here it is upgraded.
    now to protect the servo with a nice cover
    and the finishing touch for added strength. Love this roll cage. I now have one on each stampede. Will post these in a next post as I've exceeded the number of images for this post........

RC Racer
    Day 3 - Good Friday continued

So I have a set of trenchers for the new car but will tape them first which means boiling them and removing the rubber before installing them on the car. For now the Talons will do. I also need to install my Castle CC 10amp BEC so I can run my new servo at 7.4volts and not impact the rest of the truck with glitching. Once I've done this, the only thing different to my first Pede is the stock Motor and ESC.

In the Pede on the left, I'm running a Castle 2650kv and Mamba Monster waterproof servo with an 18t pinion.

The car I just upgraded has also had all the telemetry installed but hasn't been run yet. Now it's time for some fun....

RC Racer
    I have no rub from the front or rear MIPs. I do run P-L ProTrac though.

RC Racer

Brothers ready with their shrouds ready for some track time. Running 10000mah 2 cell in these and then 6400mah 3 cell. The black one runs 3850mah 4 cells in wide open areas. Mental it is.....

After the track. Threaded wheel hex and broken roll cage. That's the game
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-31-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Love you trucks! I'm hoping my wife will like my Stampede enough for me to build her one. She doesn't like nitros at all lol.

RC Competitor
    Wow. This is an eye opener into the downhill spiral I got myself into.

For no real reason I bought each of my boys a 4x4 Stampede last week. One had a rear hub carrier break so I bought a set of aluminum ones for each vehicle. Will just upgrade in pairs as time goes on I guess.

I have an HPI Savaga XS in transit for me. But after playing with these Stampedes I might rather one for myself.

RC Racer
    After the track. Threaded wheel hex and broken roll cage. That's the game
    Someone needs some 17s to compliment that CC.

RC Competitor
    what bell crank upgrade did u do? are those the Traxxas aluminum bell cranks? Wanna upgrade mine as well but don't know which way to go. Urs looks real nice so I figure might as well go with yours since it looks so nice.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    what bell crank upgrade did u do? are those the Traxxas aluminum bell cranks? Wanna upgrade mine as well but don't know which way to go. Urs looks real nice so I figure might as well go with yours since it looks so nice.
    I am using the STRC bell cranks in both cars.

RC Competitor
    I am using the STRC bell cranks in both cars.
    Is this the part number SPTST6845B?

Your trucks look so sick dude keep up the good work .......peace....ps with all that power go 17mm to save your hexes from being mashed.......peace

RC Racer
    Your trucks look so sick dude keep up the good work .......peace....ps with all that power go 17mm to save your hexes from being mashed.......peace
    I've been thinking of doing this but have 20 tyres/wheels which are practically brand new so I want to get some good wear out of these as they aren't cheap I will probably go 17 hexes in the future once I lose a few more wheels. MIP make a 17mm conversion kit which is great as I'll need it to match my keyed shafts.

Me too i have two new sets of wheels and tyres before i think of upgrading to 17mm but thats what the slipper is for ...peace

RC Racer
    Me too i have two new sets of wheels and tyres before i think of upgrading to 17mm but thats what the slipper is for ...peace
    Ahh phooey. Slipper schmipper. Quit the excuses, and grap some 17's. (It's so easy to spend someone elses money)

RC Qualifier
    It would make more sense to sell the new wheels / tyres before use, and with the cash upgrade to 17mm hexes and new wheels to suit. But, it's only money, right!?