RC Racer

ticketed for running??

I was at my LH today and they were telling a gentlemen bought a 1/5th / scale - gas truck used last week and over the past weekend he was given a ticket for 'destruction of property' for running in a local park. Other guys rrun in the same park and have never had an issue. Have any of you guys had problems like this? The guy is an older gentlemen and by no means a roughhouser, Im a little worried about my self now :/
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Champion
    NO I haven't but I don't got a 1/5th scale. Those things really tear up grass.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

ticketed for running??

I have never had a problem even when ripping things up with an ERBE. Public, private, quasi-governmental, or other property has always been problem-free. But fuel-powered vehicles attract a huge amount of attention. Go a hundred feet away from my ERBE and you don't know it exists. A fuelie (gas or nitro) can be detected from the next block or farther. That alone makes some people consider them a nuisance. If you were a ranger or other peace officer and one ticket would make your life a lot easier by avoiding the inevitable complaints, would you write it?

I have run my ERBE in many of the same locations at which an acquaintance has run his n-Revo. He was kicked out of most if not all those venues. I am still waiting for my first problem.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-02-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Thats what we were thinking as well, just seems kind of harsh to give the guy a ticket and such, but then again I have never seen one of those massive 1/5th run. Sure glad I have my little Stampede 4x4 and mini revo; most of the time people think there 'cute'
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I currently have a 1/5 gasser (took it on trade, trying to sell) and I can tell you right now, I get why he got in trouble. Youd think a warning would have been enough... but some police officers arent overly generous or forgiving.

Even with the stock pipe, this 1/5 is LOUD. It rips the ground up so much its insane. More like a dirt bike than an RC. In a public park, id even say a 1/5 would be both annoying and dangerous. it weighs 25lbs... people dont take 25lb missiles ripping around their kids very well.

RC Champion

Makes my bandit look like a tiny toy
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

I agree that it seems harsh but we don't know close to the whole story.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    The 1/5 Scale cars/trucks usually have pretty heavy duty mufflers too... I have never thought of them to be that loud. Maybe he had an aftermarket pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    I was at my LH today and they were telling a gentlemen bought a 1/5th / scale - gas truck used last week and over the past weekend he was given a ticket for 'destruction of property' for running in a local park. Other guys rrun in the same park and have never had an issue. Have any of you guys had problems like this? The guy is an older gentlemen and by no means a roughhouser, Im a little worried about my self now :/
    A 1/5th has a lot of power and can be very loud as others have stated... Also you weren't there so you don't know all of the situation.... Every story has 2 sides...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Champion
    I have a baja 1/5th scale and I wouldn't think of running it in a public place like a park. It will damage the grass without even trying. If you've never seen one run you won't understand. Its not like a TMaxx or Revo that only weighs 7-10 pounds on a fairly wide footprint.. these are upwards of 25-30 pounds running HD pin tires at the very least. They will easily leave stripes in the grass and send green mist flying behind it. Looks cool but not when its in a public place. the other issue is the noise. with the stock tuned can they are louder than a nitro without the high pitch shrill.. With a tuned pipe, imaging a chain saw on steroids.. They are so loud they hurt your ears.. I run mine at a quarry near my house that I have permission to run in or in some large fields behind my house.. Once again I have permission from the owner.. There is more to this story than the OP was told.. Either the r/cer gave the police a hard time, maybe was told to stop and didn't or quite possibly damaged the area..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3