Thread: Wired noise

RC Qualifier

Wired noise

My last few sessions out Ive been getting a very strange noise in the engine. The closest thing I could liken it to is a playing card in spokes like when I was a kid, only at much higher RPM! Any ideas?
    Desmosedici RR

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37į 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115į 47' 34.8713"
    maybe a bearing getting a bit worn, not sure man... if you really get annoyed with it open the engine up and just see if the crankshaft bearings are tight on the crankshaft and is no slop maybe see if the conrod has any play in it as well...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    I did notice that the main shaft has an extremely slight bit of play when trying to move it ft to rear. It's not enough to see the movement, but I can feel it. Is this normal for a 3.3? It seems to have a light gauge metallic tone! I have replaced the clutch bell and shoes but have not had a chance to get it out yet and see if that's it yet.
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier
    I had a weird noise on mine, it was the alloy rear bumper vibrating on a loose screw at a certain rpm. I removed it and put the stock plastic back on for a wheelie bar. Make sure the resonator isn't close to the frame. Just kind of go over the screws and make sure all are tight.

RC Qualifier
    Still haven't had it out yet to see of the new clutch made any difference. The noise is a constant one. If its running its making the noise and it goes up and down with the rpm but does not increase or decrease in frequency?
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier
    If you get a chance make a video and put it on Youtube. Sounds are distinctive and most here have heard Maxx sounds so much they know what it is right off.

RC Champion
    Sounds like it's detonating? Popping noises? Usually indicates a lean mixture setting.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    Well I had it out today for the first time in two weeks since putting the new clutch on it and the noise is still there. I'm really starting to think this noise in the engine.
    Desmosedici RR

Quote Originally Posted by Redvegasgt View Post
    Well I had it out today for the first time in two weeks since putting the new clutch on it and the noise is still there. I'm really starting to think this noise in the engine.
    If you even THINK you have a bearing issue don't run it.... Open it up...

First check your CB bearings and your OWB on the back, sometimes they too can make noises that are not normal... If it's an engine bearing you may want to fix it before tiny particles of metal shavings are spun therough the engine at 20,000 rpms +... The damage afterwards can make it from a simple bearing replacement to an engine rebuild or replacement.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Qualifier
    CB were replaced when I had it apart. Also checked the OWB. It seemed in good shape so I let it soak over night and relubed it. The noise did not change at all. Do you think it could be in the trans.? I took the trans out and opened it up and everything looks great gear wise but the bearings are feeling a little worn. The bearing wear doesn't surprise me at all. The trans is original and has at least 8 gallons on it.
    Desmosedici RR

IF it was the tranny the noise would only be heard if you had the tranny engaged, so if you are sitting at idle you should not hear the weird noise... IF that's the case could be the tranny... If that is the case that could also be because the spur gear is meshed too hard against the CB....

But if you are hearing this noise and you are not moving, engine is idling,,,, It's not going to be the tranny or spur...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Qualifier
    Well thanks for crushing my hope! This is a fairly new engine. I was hoping that would not be the case. I don't think I've even put a gallon and a half through it yet.
    Desmosedici RR

Well thanks for crushing my hope! This is a fairly new engine. I was hoping that would not be the case. I don't think I've even put a gallon and a half through it yet.
    Hopefully I'm saving your engine from a total rebuild or replacement and it's just a bearing... Better now then when a full failure takes place and bits and pieces have flown around your engine at 20,000 rpms plus...

Right now you have no clue as to the extent of the damage, it may just be bearings,,, if so,,, $30.00 and you've got ceramics in front and rear... So now you would have a slightly better performing and repair engine IF early enough...

Then again, I might not have said anything and have people send you to a tuning a leak check running the motor and making things worse as it is ran... Catching it sooner is much better than later...

Sheesh,,, Try and help a guy,,,
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

I don't think I've even put a gallon and a half through it yet.
    Iíve seen them fail during break-in or shortly after on a number of different engines/manufacturers.

Crank bearings (usually the rear) often give a distinctive noise when they are failing. Not a good sound to hear when you know what it sounds like. I can usually hear them show up best when you rev the engine slightly and as the rpms drop is when they make the distinctive noise. Iíve also heard them make the noise at idle and once the rpms increase the noise dissipates so itís a tough call unless you have heard to noise before.
    Not saying it is the bearing but at this point it would be a good idea to just open up the engine to have a look. If it is a bearing you may have caught it in time before any damage was done, but if you continue to run it and the bearing lets go, you could end up with a nice paperweight.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    From what you just described, that's it! I will pull it apart and inspect. Any good threads on how it comes apart?
    Desmosedici RR

From what you just described, that's it! I will pull it apart and inspect. Any good threads on how it comes apart?
    Here's a thread on rebuilding which will show you how to take it down... AS far as removing the bearings you place the engine into an over at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes, slab the back of the engine with the crank out against a peice of wood and the rear bearing should fall right out, the front bearing should come out while the case is still hot by using a wooden dowel from the back and push it straight through... IF the engine cooled before you can get both bearings out, let it cool fully for about 20 minutes and repeat the process...

http://traxxas.com/support/TRX-Engin...Instructions-0
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Racer
    check the trans on mine the rverse fork was out of place and put the foc coverson and have not had problomes with that but i keep breaking diveshafts in fact i just broke one last night

RC Qualifier
    FOUND IT Well I found the noise! Something got inside but I don't know what? It would appear that all of the divots are round, like a ball bearing, but the bearings are still in tact they are worn but in tact! Here's the money shots

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../406232137.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../406232138.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../406232140.jpg

I just noticed that the rear bearing is/was the noise. If I spin it, it makes the same noise only a lot more quiet. What actually did all of the damage I don't know?
    Desmosedici RR

RC Champion
    Wow that is one gross looking engine!! Especially
    After only
    1.5 gallons. In the one picture it looks rusted. U best be buying some after run oil and use it

RC Qualifier
    Dang, that ain't pretty. Sorry for your loss.
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Qualifier
    FOUND IT Well I found the noise! Something got inside but I don't know what? It would appear that all of the divots are round, like a ball bearing, but the bearings are still in tact they are worn but in tact! Here's the money shots

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../406232137.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../406232138.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../406232140.jpg

I just noticed that the rear bearing is/was the noise. If I spin it, it makes the same noise only a lot more quiet. What actually did all of the damage I don't know?
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier
    As mentioned in one of my above posts I did take the trans apart and put new bearings in it while it was apart. My question here is: Should I feel the reverse engaging or disengaging when I slide the shaft in and out? I can feel it sliding the gears on the shaft in there. But don't seem to feel any engagement.

As for the rest of the headache. Just waiting on parts. As usual, thanks for the help guys.
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier
    You won't feel it "engage", because the pawls on the forward and reverse clutches are retracted. It should just slide all the way in and all the way out smoothly.

RC Qualifier
    Cool! That it does! Thanks
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier
    Well I finally got it all back together and had it out yesterday. Runs better than it ever has. Talk about wheelie problems. OMG! I was back peddling 2 and 3 times before I could get it to settle down and go!
    Desmosedici RR