Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Liquid rubber to reinforce body

Whats up everyone. I decided to try something otherthen the old shoe goo drywall tape mod to reinforce my Raptor body. I used Flex Seal(trademarked) liquid rubber on the underside of the body. It comes in a spray can and it goes on really easy drys overnight and is a lot lighter then the shoe goo drywall tape. I have to say that i can now bend my body completely in half and nothing. I have bashed it pretty good and it holds up remarkably. I even used it to fix cracks on my Madbash body and it worked great. I know most people are set on the shoe goo and drywall tape but i am telling you to try this. you wont be disappointed.

Kevin

RC Champion
    Interesting! I did a shoe goo body fix not too long ago. Seems pretty sturdy and to have worked well. But, I do have two more bodies with cracks that need fixing. Might be worth trying. Especially because it sounds easier to apply! Can you post some pics?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer

This one you can see how flexible it is. It's about 30 degrees outside and its been out all day.

RC Qualifier
    I use it and for myself its far better then shoe goo and dry wall tape.
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

RC Racer
    thanks for info i will be getting me some of that shoogloo to messy for me

RC Champion
    That really looks awesome. Can't believe more people aren't using it then. How much does it take to treat one body?

The really stupid thing is I put a can of that in my cart at Walmart the other day and then put it back and didn't buy it!
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 03-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.

RC Racer
    It took not even half a can. I did two bodies with it and I have a quarte can left. It is very light weight and super durable. I bashed the sh$t out of it today and nothing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    That really looks awesome. Can't believe more people aren't using it then. How much does it take to treat one body?

The really stupid thing is I put a can of that in my cart at Walmart the other day and then put it back and didn't buy it!
    I gave it a few hours like 6 hours. I recommend a day...
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

RC Racer
    I agree with Donjuan. I let it set for 24hrs before I used it.

RC Champion
    Thanks! I'll be sure and toss it back in the cart next time!

RC Qualifier
    What if your body is already cracked? Can you still use it? Also should you use it with the mesh to fix cracks? Also did you get any overspray on the outside of the body? If so, is it easy to clean off? Or maybe just mask the outside of the body to prevent overspray.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Racer
    Felix I did mask the outside first. It will not come off anything if its sprayed on. You must wear gloves as well. I have it on my arms and its not coming off. I had cracks in the rear fenders where the fake tail lights are and it held it pretty good. However I would use mesh with cracks. All in all it took about 10 minutes start to finish and its amazing how good it works. Any other questions feel free to ask.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm...how much does a can of that stuff cost?

RC Racer
    The brand I used was $11. Rustoleum has a brand at $9. But I don't know how the cheaper on works. U can get two maybe three bodies with a can. That makes it around $3.75 a body.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks buddy!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by felixx4 View Post
    What if your body is already cracked? Can you still use it? Also should you use it with the mesh to fix cracks? Also did you get any overspray on the outside of the body? If so, is it easy to clean off? Or maybe just mask the outside of the body to prevent overspray.

Great questions. I was thinking the same, about using mesh just on cracked areas. I was going to ask but got busy going out to drive my Summit!

RC Racer
    No problem. Any other questions ask away

RC Champion
    About to buy one can of black and one can of white FlexSeal at Wally World. White should be a better undercoat color for some colors of paint I think.

RC Qualifier
    will it go over shoe glue thats already on the body
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

will it go over shoe glue thats already on the body
    I don't see why not.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Champion
    It would make it heavier and its already heavier with shoe goo. But with a good brushless system that won't matter much unless you're racing. Heck, I might try it.

Bought mine but haven't sprayed it on yet. Been caught up driving and wrenching on my summits recently.

I just sprayed my Summit's shell down with that the rubber stuff. I put it out in the sun to dry, and now there is lots of spider web cracks in the rubber? Did I dry it out too much?

RC Racer
    Did you but flex seal brand? It sounds like you dried it to fast. But apply another very light coat and it will be fine.

Did you but flex seal brand? It sounds like you dried it to fast. But apply another very light coat and it will be fine.
    Well, it's a 20 year old can of Rubber made stuff, so maybe that's why.

RC Racer
    Yeah probably. Lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Well, it's a 20 year old can of Rubber made stuff, so maybe that's why.
    Maybe buy a "fresh" can and cover it with a very light coat of that?

Maybe buy a "fresh" can and cover it with a very light coat of that?
    Ya, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    we sprayed 2 bodies last night. We will see how they do this afternoon after a few more hours of drying in the warmth.

RC Competitor
    I just bought a can of the Rustoleum brand yesterday and plan to spray over the weekend when I get a chance. I couldn't find the Flex Seal in the store and I didn't want to buy online due to reviews of overbilling and such. I will let you all know how it turns out. The shoe goo works great but I hate putting that stuff on since it's so messy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I just sprayed my Summit's shell down with that the rubber stuff. I put it out in the sun to dry, and now there is lots of spider web cracks in the rubber? Did I dry it out too much?
    Did you put heavy coats on? A lot of times when you put rattle can paint or primer on too heavy, it cracks when it dries. It's better to do several light coats.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwenter View Post
    I just bought a can of the Rustoleum brand yesterday and plan to spray over the weekend when I get a chance. I couldn't find the Flex Seal in the store and I didn't want to buy online due to reviews of overbilling and such. I will let you all know how it turns out. The shoe goo works great but I hate putting that stuff on since it's so messy.
    All flex seal is, is rubberized undercoating. You can probably find a can of that at an auto parts store.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    I coated the slash body last night. It had a few small cracks so I guess I'll see how it does.

RC Racer
    Trust me guys it takes a beating. Mine has taken some multiple rolls and crashes and has up amazingly.

RC Qualifier
    ran it tonight briefly first thought was how quiet it ran the rubber made a nice buffer to stop the rattling. If nothing else we had a good with the fumes. Man they were strong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    ran it tonight briefly first thought was how quiet it ran the rubber made a nice buffer to stop the rattling. If nothing else we had a good with the fumes. Man they were strong.
    Agree on the fumes. I recently coated my revo body with white rubber spray and wished I had gotten black so I could see where I sprayed. I put 3 coats on and so far so good.

RC Racer
    so will this help with protecting the paint to because i am about to be panting a rustler body and i was wondering

RC Racer
    Yes it will protect the paint. My slash was rubbing the nerf bars and rubbing away paint now not anymore. I have taken my body and completely rolled it into a ball and it pops back. I hadn't 20 month old jump on it and nothing.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Ok, one more question and I'm sold. Can you put shoe goo over top? Or does the wet shogoo dissolve the rubber stuff? I really like the fact that you can pile up the goo in the corners of the truck cab to make those areas bulletproof. I want to paint a black body soon... Wonder how it looks using as paint under a clear shell?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    As far as using shoe goo yes u can. However I sprayed more in the corners and weak spots and it is thicker and is bulletproof. As far as a paint. It doesn't do ish smooth so it would look good. They have white as well.

RC Qualifier
    i shoe gooed mine after spraying it and it seemed to dry fine and hold - i used the rustoleum brand