RC Enthusiast

motor/esc combo questions

The button on my stock vxl esc is starting to stick and not work all the time. I really want to keep my waterproof/water resistance esc but I am having a hard time finding one in a combo like the setup already in the truck. My other request of the motor is to be able to gear it to hit about 40 to 45mph without burning it up in a short time. I am running 2s now and would like to try to keep it that way. I have been searching for a couple hours but it gets kind of confusing. The lhs said try just getting a mamba monster 2 and the 3800kv motor not in a combo pack. Would I run into any issues just buying a mm2 esc and keeping the stock motor? Help is greatly appreciated. I love my slash just want to be able to hang with my friends stock 3.3 tmaxx without destroying the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDanner View Post
    The button on my stock vxl esc is starting to stick and not work all the time. I really want to keep my waterproof/water resistance esc but I am having a hard time finding one in a combo like the setup already in the truck. My other request of the motor is to be able to gear it to hit about 40 to 45mph without burning it up in a short time. I am running 2s now and would like to try to keep it that way. I have been searching for a couple hours but it gets kind of confusing. The lhs said try just getting a mamba monster 2 and the 3800kv motor not in a combo pack. Would I run into any issues just buying a mm2 esc and keeping the stock motor? Help is greatly appreciated. I love my slash just want to be able to hang with my friends stock 3.3 tmaxx without destroying the motor.
    it's fine to use the velineon on the monster mamba 2. I did so for an entire summer a couple of years back with the V1 monster mamba. if you want a good motor that's cheap in price, ebayhas the HPI Vektor 4000kv motors for about $40. those are FAST in the 4x4. I race with that motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370702413146...84.m1423.l2649
    you would have to change the connectors to 6.5's but well worth it imo. (you would also have to change the connectors on the velineon as well to 6.5's.)
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 03-17-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    I race Associated, I bash Traxxas. 28 years in RC

You could also go with the MMP for a cheaper alternative. I used the velineon motor with my MMP for a long time and it was a good combo. I also have the HPI vektor and its highly recommended.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    The button on my stock vxl esc is starting to stick and not work all the time.
    A little Tri-Flow, or a small drop of oil, should help this. I've read where some guys drill the hole out, but like you said that may compromise your water resistance a bit.

I see no reason why you can't gear your stock motor tall enough to hit 40-45 without burning up your motor. The key is to increase your pinion size gradually, being mindful of motor temps along the way (a temperature gauge or telemetry sensor is an important investment).
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    Well with the optional 18 tooth pinion it hits 37 according to my phone gps but I have been warned at the lhs that it will overheat the motor, I bought a $30 therm gun and I checked the motor after a run the other day not even a full run maybe 10 minutes in 40 degree weather and it was up to 130 degrees already.

RC Champion
    in 40 degree weather and it was up to 130 degrees already.
    Well then maybe it is time to upgrade...

RC Enthusiast
    This is the part where I start to get confused and second guess my limited knowledge of rc's. a 4000kv motor will not run a 3s at all will it? I didn't have it in the original post but I was kindof hoping for the option of running a 3s at times. I also saw in the description it says that motor is 1/14 scale, what does that mean?
    I seem to have bad luck with this stuff, I know people that really beat on their trucks and never have a problem I have already had a motor burn up on mine just running stock gearing on a dry street. lol
    I also don't get the whole kv rating because of things like this example. lhs has a mmp sct 3800kv combo that says stock gearing with 2s only on the side. Does this mean I can't run anything above the 13/54 gearing that is in the truck stock without overheating?
    Last edited by DarkDanner; 03-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Well then maybe it is time to upgrade...
    That is the plan I just don't want to buy a motor that is going to be slower top speed than what I have. Maybe I am just asking too much to go 45mph without having heat issues?

RC Champion
    Maybe I am just asking too much to go 45mph without having heat issues?
    I don't think so...a slightly larger motor will get you where you want to be, without it having to work too hard. I'm still bone stock on my Slash, so the other guys will get you sorted out...

Yes you can use 3s with the Vektor 4000 and the 3800. I used to run the heck out my MMP/4600kv on 2s and 3s with no problems, just keep an eye on the heat.

As for gearing, you can go higher than the stock gearing but you have to get a temp gun to monitor the temps, especially if you stick with the velineon motor. The Vektor motor will get you faster and they aren't that expensive.

There is also another 4-pole motor by castle that is 3900kv you can get for cheap but I can't remember the name right now...

Edit: Duratrax Element 3900kv, another good 4-pole choice.
    Last edited by O.G.; 03-17-2013 at 06:36 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright I feel a little better about this whole 3800kv or 4000kv motor thing now. I just see a lot more about guys running 2400kv and the like motors to get the way higher speeds and cooler motors. I will probably purchase a monster mamba 2 esc in the next couple weeks then replace the motor a little further down the road. I kinda wanted to stick to stuff the hobby shop sells just because I don't have the strongest soldering abilities and I think they would help me out with that stuff. Lol
    Last edited by DarkDanner; 03-17-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Alright I feel a little better about this whole 3800kv or 4000kv motor thing now. I just see a lot more about guys running 2400kv and the like motors to get the way higher speeds and cooler motors.
    Those motors are also physically larger than the 4000 vektor and 3500 velineon.

RC Champion
    Another option for an esc is the hpi vapor pro. It's a waterproof castle esc, 3s max.
    I run it with my vektor 4000kv motor in my bandit.
    Both sell for $125 on eBay as take off from the savage flux xs, $40 for the motor and $80 for the esc.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Those motors are also physically larger than the 4000 vektor and 3500 velineon.
    I see so the 3800kv castle creations won't bolt right on or if it does it will be a tight fit?
    The 4000 vektor is that a 4 pole motor or is it 2 pole and that is why it is smaller? Is the hpi vapor a good esc it looks like the sidewinder esc castle sells and the only thing I have read about that was not a good review.
    Last edited by DarkDanner; 03-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.

The vektor and element are both 4-pole motors. I'm not familiar with those esc's.

I see so the 3800kv castle creations won't bolt right on or if it does it will be a tight fit?
    The 4000 vektor is that a 4 pole motor or is it 2 pole and that is why it is smaller? Is the hpi vapor a good esc it looks like the sidewinder esc castle sells and the only thing I have read about that was not a good review.
    that's the regular vapor. the vapor pro does 3S. the vector is a 4 pole motor. 4 pole motors are much more efficient and generally have more torque than 2 pole motors
    The motor isn't 1/14 scale it was in an 1/14 scale truck. the motor is the same size as the 3800 sct motor made for slash 4x4s.

there is another option. the dynamite fuze system. they are AWESOME. I've got one in one of my basher slash 4x4's and it's a great deal for the price. no issues and you can run up to 4S on the esc. my temps always ran very cool on 3S with this system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-Fuz...item27d07fd87d

RC Enthusiast
    Alright I already spent the money on a kingheads motor mount am I gonna have to take that out.is there anything else I need to buy with the dynamit fuze or the hpi to make them work?

Alright I already spent the money on a kingheads motor mount am I gonna have to take that out.is there anything else I need to buy with the dynamit fuze or the hpi to make them work?
    no, the kingshead mount will work with any of these motors. if you buy the fuze combo, it's a direct drop in. you will have to change the connector to a traxxas connector. maybe your locl hobby shop can do that for you if you aren't confident in your soldering skills. you'll have to get a traxxas connector with any esc you get. that's kinda unavoidable.

EDIT...you will also need a 5mm bore pinion. the velineon uses a 3mm bore pinion.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 03-17-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Enthusiast
    very cool guys thanks for all the help. I felt like banging my head against the wall at the shop, they were really busy and it didn't feel like they really wanted to help at all. One last thing I never mentioned I have the hcg chassis NOT the lcg chassis does that change anything?

very cool guys thanks for all the help. I felt like banging my head against the wall at the shop, they were really busy and it didn't feel like they really wanted to help at all. One last thing I never mentioned I have the hcg chassis NOT the lcg chassis does that change anything?
    nope...all but 1 of my slash trucks are hcg. it's all good.

May I ask a question? How old is your truck? If it is under thirty days old, you can get a free replacement from Traxxas. If I were you, I would call Traxxas and see what they say, can't hurt. As you can see there are many choices of motor combinations you can go with. If you can get the stock system replaced you can sell it to help pay for a better system.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Dude have a look at the hobbywing sc8 120a esc and tenshock v2 3800kv 4 pole 550 combo on funshobby it will fit the bill on what you are looking for dude .....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    May I ask a question? How old is your truck? If it is under thirty days old, you can get a free replacement from Traxxas. If I were you, I would call Traxxas and see what they say, can't hurt. As you can see there are many choices of motor combinations you can go with. If you can get the stock system replaced you can sell it to help pay for a better system.
    Truck would have been 30 days old yesterday. I plan on calling traxxas tonight to see if they can replace it.