RC poster

Putting 2.8 wheels on slash vxl 2wd

Hello I have a slash vxl 2wd basher and am seriously thinking about putting oversized tires on it to make it better for driving through grass mud and snow. Before I spend 70 bucks on the tires(I'm thinking of getting 2.8 badlands) I have a few questions. I have searched a few forums and have found very few definite answers to my questions. My questions are-

How much better will the grip on grass and dirt be compared to the sc sized tires.

Should I buy 2 pairs of fronts or 2 pairs of backs?

What would be a good gearing to use to still have good top speed but not overheat anything? Is 19/86 ok?

Will I still be able to wheelie with my 3s lipo battery?

How much more stability will I gain from the width?

Is it really worth it to put these tires on?

With bad lands you will have to cut up the body for clearance.

Stability,you'll probably lose some due to the truck being higher.

3S is overkill for the slash imo,and wheelies are something I try to make my trucks not do.

With the vxl,19-86 should be ok.

Two pair's? your choice,it would probably look better that way,and you could rotate them when they wear.

Grip,I use trencher once in a while their good,and here bad lands are also a good off road tire.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-16-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    trenchers are good. get front and rear wheels with your 2.8 tires. keep in mind that the front will have a different offset so you cant rotate the tires. you will still be able to wheelie but you will get more heat so you should probably drop a few teeth on your pinion to maybe 17. your gear ratio will be higher after putting taller tires on anyways. you will have more grip but handling will be different. you will have more ground clearance with the bigger tires so lower your suspension a little. with the big tires and 3s you may want to keep an eye on your drive shafts and output yokes.

With bead lock's rotating is no problem,if not they can still be removed so you can indeed rotate them,just a bit more trouble.
    And I run that gearing,on 2.8's with out issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    trenchers are good. get front and rear wheels with your 2.8 tires. keep in mind that the front will have a different offset so you cant rotate the tires. you will still be able to wheelie but you will get more heat so you should probably drop a few teeth on your pinion to maybe 17. your gear ratio will be higher after putting taller tires on anyways. you will have more grip but handling will be different. you will have more ground clearance with the bigger tires so lower your suspension a little. with the big tires and 3s you may want to keep an eye on your drive shafts and output yokes.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.

RC poster
    Alright thanks for the info. I know that larger tires will mean i have to sacrifice some speed, but how much speed will really be lost and in the end is it worth the money to put these tires on

Hear try this.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

If your racing no the tires are no good,if just out bashing,who cares.
    I have a set of 2.8 street fighters,mainly for winter shelf Queen time,but due run them no and then up and down the road with 15-56 gears,it will pull 50mph with a cc 3800 4 pole.After that the truck is to hard to control.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-17-2013 at 01:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I went out to the track yesterday and maaannnn those 2.8 bowtie tires made a huge improvement for bashing I would go with Trenchers