RC poster

Bearings clogged with clay - but are they ruined?

Replacing bearings takes some time, so trying to balance time against cost. I put in new rear bearings, but i'm wondering if i should keep and reuse the old ones ($4 worth).

So I ran on moist clay, couldn't clean off until the next day. Bearings on the rear were pretty packed up and bound. I put each on a wood chopstick and spun the bearing under running water to flush grit, then soaked in alcohol to purge water, then light oil. Now the bearings spin freely, but they seem a little loose compared to new. Did running them full of clay grind them away? Toss them?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brik View Post
    Did running them full of clay grind them away? Toss them?
    I would...they're cheap enough, ya know?
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Did running them full of clay grind them away? Toss them?
    I wouldn't... Almost all bearings get a little loose after a while, and besides, you could keep them as spares. Just my .02 cents.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

Just throw them away and get some new ones. After what you described, the trash can is exactly where they belong.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with Harry, get new bearings, clay is tough on bearings. And get some good dry lube for the next set, it helps repel dirt and lubes as well. Good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

What about that rpm bearing blaster? ...
    Last edited by kdvanb; 03-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    What about that rpm bearing blaster? ...
    Good to have, but that's more intended for cleaning the old grease and debris out of your bearings. Once they get packed tight with dirt, it causes a lot of premature wear and it's usually not worth the effort to try to restore them.

I do have to ask though. How did you get the bearings caked with clay? Don't they have rubber seals on them? That should keep most of the dirt out.

RC poster
    I'm not exactly sure how it happened. Yes, the stock bearings with rubber seals.
    The slash does play in the mud sometimes but never deep puddles, and i hadn't noticed binding before. But here i was cleaning clay off from the track yesterday (more than usual), and OUCH i was sure glad there were extra bearings in my parts box. Maybe it did creep up slowly not all at once.

RC Enthusiast
    I would probably take a flathead screw driver and try to chip/grind the clay off. I that doesn't work, I would just toss em' and buy new ones.

RC Champion
    I would pull the seals clean them out well. After clean spray them with some oil to prevent rust and repack them with grease and put the seal back on. Be a good set of spares and just may be the thing between a good day and a short day