RC Competitor

NiHM how to's????

SO know i have an ez peak plus charger and i am wondering a couple of things about charging my 1200Mah 6v flat rx pack.
    1. Am i charging this at 1 amp?
    2. What amp is safe to discharge this pack?
    3. When i go into NiMH cycle mode i set it to discharge/charge 1 time. It starts at discharging but only discharges at .1a which is slower then death. Is there a way to increase this number or is this the only option?
    4. What is the voltage the charger should read when its full? When i start charging it it says its at 6.54v which is more the 6v is it iover charged?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bazookal07 View Post
    SO know i have an ez peak plus charger and i am wondering a couple of things about charging my 1200Mah 6v flat rx pack.
    1. Am i charging this at 1 amp?
    2. What amp is safe to discharge this pack?
    3. When i go into NiMH cycle mode i set it to discharge/charge 1 time. It starts at discharging but only discharges at .1a which is slower then death. Is there a way to increase this number or is this the only option?
    4. What is the voltage the charger should read when its full? When i start charging it it says its at 6.54v which is more the 6v is it iover charged?
    1. Safe charge rate for NiMh is 1C. Divide the battery's mah by 1000, so in the case of a 1200 mah battery that's 1.2 amps.

2. You can discharge at 1C as well.

3. I'm not familiar with your charger, but yes, you should be able to increase your discharge rate.

4. No, it's not overcharged. Nominal voltage under load for a NiMh is 1.2V per cell, but after charge it's not uncommon to see this number at 1.5 V per cell or more.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

to discharge you pack i would go to discharge setting on your charger not sure if its seperate as i dont have that charger but just select discharge and change the amps its 2amps max on that charger. Then after discharging it charge it up like this you can set the discharge setting incase you cant set it on the discharge-charge cycle but i think you can change it look in the manual it should have it as traxxas explains alot in their manuals if you dont have it look at the support tab on top of page here and select your charger under charger tab on left side and then look for manual then download it requires PDF.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    I think I have the discharge setting. Im still having issues with the charging limit. I had it charging at 1 amp and it got all the way up to 7.65v and still didn't say full. The battery wasn't hot but I feel that 7.65v is pretty high? I also set my MAH limit to 1200 and it still didn't say full

RC Champion
    I think I have the discharge setting. Im still having issues with the charging limit. I had it charging at 1 amp and it got all the way up to 7.65v and still didn't say full. The battery wasn't hot but I feel that 7.65v is pretty high? I also set my MAH limit to 1200 and it still didn't say full
    It may have still been balancing out the cells. Sometimes that part takes a while on my Hitec charger...

RC Competitor
    Well I stopped it at 7.65... it was still rising? Is there a voltage where you guys would not let it pass? Is it safe to just let it charge until the pack starts to get warm?

RC Champion
    Well I stopped it at 7.65... it was still rising? Is there a voltage where you guys would not let it pass? Is it safe to just let it charge until the pack starts to get warm?
    4.2 volts max PER CELL

RC Competitor
    so zippo your saying i could charge my pack to 4.2 volts per cell for a total of 21v and still be ok. It is just a little 6v 1200mah 5 cell hump pack? If you confirm this i believe you. you know much more about the subject then i do im just making sure.

RC Champion
    so zippo your saying i could charge my pack to 4.2 volts per cell for a total of 21v and still be ok. It is just a little 6v 1200mah 5 cell hump pack? If you confirm this i believe you. you know much more about the subject then i do im just making sure.
    WHOA, wait a minute...we're talking NiMh here, okay -- my bad. I've been helping someone else on another thread with LiPos and got mixed up.

The maximum you want a NiMh cell is 1.5v after charging. They are rated for 1.2v under load, but a pack that is not under load will usually charge as high as 1.5v per cell. So a 5 cell hump pack can safely go to 7.5v (some guys will push it even higher). You stopped it at just the right time.

I apologize for the misdirection in post #7; that pertains to LiPos.
    Last edited by zippogeek; 03-15-2013 at 10:05 AM.

RC Competitor
    I thought that last post pertained more to lipo then nimh... no biggie. Alright ill just have to mess with my charger a little more until i find out why it keeps charging that high. Until then ill just stop it around that voltage Thanks!!!

RC Champion
    You can reduce the delta peak setting, that may help. I can't remember if default is 5mV or 7mV, which ever it is reduce it by 2mV. Change it back when using larger nimhs.
    Personally i'd only charge at 0.8C. which is close to what your doing now.
    Last edited by trax de max; 03-16-2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.