Thread: Lipo VS nimh

RC poster

Smile Lipo VS nimh

Hey guys

I'm new here and first off this is an awesome forum .

I just purchased a Slash 2 wd and have upgraded it with the Velineon motor . But still running the 3000 nimh Battery just wondering what the best route to go with is a Traxxas 2961 . Or go lipo what are the pros and cons this truck is just going to be used for goofing around on the street with buds .

thanks for all the help guys ...

RC Qualifier
    I don't mind using nimh if I have it laying around but def. go lipo especially w/ the velineon, 7.4v 2cell lipo 5000mah-6500mah 30-50c and you'll def. be pleased, you'll have to buy a lipo capable charger as well, some chargers you can charge lipo and nimh, Lipos have consistent power, good punch, and better run time

RC Champion
    +1 everything XRated said. The power:weight is vastly superior with LiPo. You also get much greater motor efficiency. Really, LiPos are the only way to get the most from your brushless motor.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Imo the velineon likes at least 5000mah 30c 2s lipo best,it's a 150 amp battery,and will more than accommodate the vxl system,without ever causing the battery to labor.
    25c is also fine,but the 30c will give the vxl all it will need as the vxl has a 130 to 140 max amp burst,and 65 continuous rate.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the record, an accurately rated 5000mAh/15C pack will EASILY operate the VXL system, especially in a 2WD and not even break a sweat while doing so.

RC poster
    Wow guys thanks so much this is great i called a local HB and they were all over the board . Whats a good battery to purchase and charger to go with it i don't mind spending the money and getting something good ? Also I'm running a 28/86 gear should i leave it or change it ?

Again
    Thanks for the help ...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
    Wow guys thanks so much this is great i called a local HB and they were all over the board . Whats a good battery to purchase and charger to go with it i don't mind spending the money and getting something good ? Also I'm running a 28/86 gear should i leave it or change it ?

Again
    Thanks for the help ...
    Is 28/86 the stock gearing? If not, it can have a dramatic impact on motor, ESC and battery packs temps.

spc is about the best for the buck.
    That's to much for the vxl ,I would drop it to 23 86.
    That's stock for the vxl slash.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-14-2013 at 03:51 PM.

RC Champion
    I have the Hitec X4 AC Plus. Four-port charging rocks. No external power supply; it plugs right into the wall:

http://www.amazon.com/HiTec-44167-Pl.../dp/B005MW0WZO

RC poster
    Is this a good battery to go with ?
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=131

Spc is about the best you can do for the money.
    But imo,3s is to much for the slash,people will disagree,and others will agree,but any real track wont let you run 3s,they just cause to much carnage.QUOTE=blownstang;5451907]Is this a good battery to go with ?
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=131[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-14-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Spc is about the best you can do for the money.
    But imo,3s is to much for the slash,people will disagree,and others will agree,but any real track wont let you run 3s,they just cause to much carnage.QUOTE=blownstang;5451907]Is this a good battery to go with ?
    [/QUOTE]

Agreed, especially about the 3S. I've never owned one because they just seem pointless to me for 1/10th scale 2wd's. Not to mention they will beat your truck to death in no time.

As for SPC, I think they're awesome regardless of the price. I've raced with Thunder Power, SMC, Venom, Losi, Protek, and countless other brands. Some were much more expensive than SPC, but the performance surely didn't match up to the price difference. I just ran my 6000 30C and 5400 50C packs at the track last night and let's just say that they weren't lacking by any means compared to whatever the other guys were running. Actually they ran so long that they probably got me in trouble.

Only pics I have are on my cell phone. Maybe I can figure out how to get them on to the computer.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
    Is this a good battery to go with ?
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121

Go with this one IMO. What the guys said above on I agree beyond a doubt. Going from a 3000 Nimh to a 3s lipo is like learning to walk again and the running in a long distance race the very next day. You will more than likely destroy your truck.

If you do please take video for our viewing pleasure.

Don't skimp on the lipo charger. You will need to spend at least 90 bucks from what I have seen. I have a 245 onyx charger and it does well for what I need. The other hitec $210 4x charger is sweet but more charger than I need.
    Last edited by Next perce; 03-14-2013 at 05:12 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    [url]You will more than likely destroy your truck.
    3S is overrated. I prefer to keep my drivetrains and gearboxes intact...

RC Racer
    "at the track last night"

Harry I pm'd you.

RC Qualifier
    If you wan't to get a good charger I'd at least get something that can charge up to 10amps and a dual charger will also be a + for the future if you're going to have a few lipos

RC poster
    Thanks guys !