Thread: Awww man

RC Champion

Awww man

Well broke my first part. Think I took out the rear diff. Got a clicking noise but only when the rear wheels are on the ground. Must have done it yesterday when I forgot to unlock the diffs and did a few speed jumps.

Got to wire a led to the top to remind me. So much for bashing tonight as soon as I heard it started tearing the rear apart thought it was bearings at first so I pulled it all off cleaned and lubed everything.

RC Qualifier
    Check and make sure its not one of the center drive shafts. My first clicking noise was the rear drive shaft.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    Ill give it a look. Really hard to pinpoint had to lay on my kitchen floor and hold the rear bumper and give it a little throttle. If I pick it up noise is gone. Is their a easy way to check the rear shaft?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Ill give it a look. Really hard to pinpoint had to lay on my kitchen floor and hold the rear bumper and give it a little throttle. If I pick it up noise is gone. Is their a easy way to check the rear shaft?
    What I do is lock the diff and hold the rear tires and have it upside down and put it in low range and give it slight throttle. Watch the center shafts if they don't turn when it clicks then its drive shaft. If it clicks and the drive shaft turns do the same to the front. If they both turn then its diff. Or you can pull the eight screws off the bottom and look at the shafts.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    Ummm ok. Hehe. When I had it on the floor looking for the noise front and rear tires were turning at the same speed. If it was a driveshaft would one set of tires sorta skip/jump when the click happened.

I actually tryed holding the tires today to get it to click and it would not do it. It had to have the weight on it

RC Qualifier
    I would start easy and work to hard. The drive shaft cover takes about 2 min to pull off and prob another min to pull the shafts out to inspect. To do the diff is a hour or so job depending on how nit picky you are. Either one will need weight or load to make the noise. Another thing you can try is lock the axle and turn one tire forward and the other backword. Listen for the click. Just be carefull when you do either of these steps cuz it can cause damage if not carefull. Those are what i do one my summits. And another thing I have found out that the noise can be deciving. I've been 100% positive on the clicking coming from the rear diff and ended up being the front drive line a couple of times.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    I think i have almost the same problem as you.
    But i think it's my front end diff that is broken.

I if i hold lightly on the front wheels and reverse slowly, i hear clicking noise.
    If i do the same on hte real wheels, i cant hold them.

Truck is upside down when i do this.

It's drying now.

RC Champion
    looks like im just going to have to tear things apart. only way i can reproduce the sound in when its on the floor under its own weight

RC Champion
    Looks like I blew both pinion bearings in the rear diff. Hoping I can clean up the housing where the bearing marked it up and steel some bearings out of the tmaxx.

RC Qualifier
    Hint. Marine grease.
    Take the blue shields off and fill them full. It resist water more.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    Ya that's what I'm in the process of doing. Also ordered difrent bearings among a few other parts. Don't like to be sitting here fixing when I should be playing. O well gonna check the front while I'm at it

That is one of the spots I spent money on green seal boca ceramics.They are still in there and haven't given me a single issue since.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    The pinion shaft must have gotten scored a but. Was a real pain to get that Bearing to seat. O well have a new gear and pinion comming plus bearings run it till it breaks again and rebuild

RC Champion
    What would cause the pinion bearings to go after about 30 runs?

They take massive loads.they get side loaded and add some grit,dirt or rust.throw in more power, longer runtimes more heat and friction
    Disaster is imminent...at some point.
    The ceramics are sealed and seem to stand up much better.I did inner and outter wheel bearings as well no issues with them either.been quite a while now and many miles nothing to report.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Shim that diff!
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    actually the diffs were good no shimming needed. I actually had to take some material out of the rear the mesh was so tight i could barley turn by hand.. After reading some posts on the revo and slash forms it seems to more come from a poor design.. What holds the read diff solid in the frame? nothing really its just a compression fit with nothing really holding the nose solid. So every time you go the diff is moving creating the side loads and such. Alot of them are using hot glue or something similar to keep the diff more solid with good results.. (use a glue that can easily be picked out again)

RC Champion
    Man gotta love support. Told me to go buy new parts. Bearings should not fail in less than 2 1/2 months with less than 20 runs. Even though I already ordered parts they should still come good for the breakage. I could see if I abused it and run the **** out of it

RC Enthusiast
    ive noticed there is a good amount of wiggle room between the diff and bulkheads. I freaked out when I saw it moving replacing drive shafts, thought I had blew out bearings inside the diff. the hotglue sounds like it would work, I was thinking of bolting in a mini brace to keep it from slopping around, that has to mean extra stress when its moving right

RC Champion
    To eliminate movement I'm going to start replacing parts with aluminum. Starting with skids and then probably bulkheads then I will build in a extra bolt in brace for the pinion end of things.

RC Enthusiast
    that sounds like a good plan... im on a beans n rice kinda budget right now tho... I am a little weary of aluminum peices, I had an all aluminum tmaxx and bent or broke something almost every time... usually skids or bulkheads.

RC Champion
    I'm not to worried about breaking. I mostly just craw with the odd high gear run. Just going to replace the parts that directly effect the movement of the diff and no farther as I'm not a big fan of aluminum hop up parts.

RC Champion
    This may be fun quick eBay search and can only find bulkheads for the 1/16th