Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by briandee View Post
    Looks too good to hide in the case!!!
    I just would like to know how your differential is holding up. People with the flm setup have been having all kinds of problems. Trying to see if Hot Racing is the way to go for aluminum differentials.
    Member of the 10,000 posts club

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I just would like to know how your differential is holding up. People with the flm setup have been having all kinds of problems. Trying to see if Hot Racing is the way to go for aluminum differentials.
    Same here. They better support 100s lipos before I'll buy some more (not really) but you get my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Same here. They better support 100s lipos before I'll buy some more (not really) but you get my idea.
    I do understand! I am waiting on anyone to say they have received a response from flm. The reason I haven't done the differential upgrade was because my eBay account wasn't acting right. Well I just finally decided to create a new one. So before I order any parts, I need to hear how the Hot Racing parts are holding up for people. I am going to be extremely cautious since I have read about soo many unhappy people.

RC Competitor
    I do understand! I am waiting on anyone to say they have received a response from flm. The reason I haven't done the differential upgrade was because my eBay account wasn't acting right. Well I just finally decided to create a new one. So before I order any parts, I need to hear how the Hot Racing parts are holding up for people. I am going to be extremely cautious since I have read about soo many unhappy people.
    I have only run a couple packs and so far so good. I have a bent driveshaft now that I need to fix. Once I fix that I will do a torture test on it. I went to the HR setup due to the front plastic diff always leaking on me.

Ok it has been awhile since anyone has posted here. I am still wanting to know how people using Hot Racing differential cups are doing. Also has anyone heard any news from flm concerning why their parts fail?

RC Qualifier
    Ok it has been awhile since anyone has posted here. I am still wanting to know how people using Hot Racing differential cups are doing. Also has anyone heard any news from flm concerning why their parts fail?
    No news from FLM regarding their centre diff cup mate, since going back to the Traxxas centre diff cup my breakdowns have slowed right down.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    No news from FLM regarding their centre diff cup mate, since going back to the Traxxas centre diff cup my breakdowns have slowed right down.
    Wow! I am sorry to hear that. I would've thought if a company was getting so many complaints about their products they would want to do something about it. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Hot Racing differentials so I might have to give them a try.

RC poster
    I installed two of the Hot Racing ( Black in color ) diffs in my Slash. Run around 5 packs of 3s lipos with stock motor, esc, pinion and spur gear. Then up graded the motor and esc to a MMP 2400kv system, ran 3 more packs. Then I serviced my Slash the next day. The front diff was fine, the rear diff was a mess. The output shaft on gear chewed up and egged shapped the diff cup, the shaft that holds the spyder gears in place twisted in its notches. Theres only like 5hrs of total run time on those diff cups.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasrevalee View Post
    I installed two of the Hot Racing ( Black in color ) diffs in my Slash. Run around 5 packs of 3s lipos with stock motor, esc, pinion and spur gear. Then up graded the motor and esc to a MMP 2400kv system, ran 3 more packs. Then I serviced my Slash the next day. The front diff was fine, the rear diff was a mess. The output shaft on gear chewed up and egged shapped the diff cup, the shaft that holds the spyder gears in place twisted in its notches. Theres only like 5hrs of total run time on those diff cups.
    Had almost the same problem with my FLM AL cups. Was disappointed and chunked both F&R FLM cups in trash and went back to plastic WITH I bar no problems yet. No problems before switch liked the idea of AL diff cup being a basher on 3S.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasrevalee View Post
    These are the kinds of things I am looking for. I hope you contact Hot Racing and let them know of your experiences. I am really hoping they ate better than flm and actually stand behind their products. If a company stands behind What they make, I am a very loyal customer. If not, I do my best so nobody else gets burned by them.

RC poster
    No I didn't contact them, i'm not quite sure what really happened and who was to blame. In the 5hrs of run time on those diffs, there was several crashes and objects involved. Like Trees, Curbs, A House, Full Size Car. I would hit a Tug Boat in the middle of the desert. It could have just gotten some dirt on on that shaft my last time out. So like I said I dont know whos to blame. Has anyone checked out the ST RACINIG diffs yet.

RC poster
    I finally had time to take the diff apart and the left side spider is stripped this is the same one that I was concerned about the slop & all gears & diff cup are trashed.

Is the XO-1 and Slash diff housings the same any advantage?

Is the output shafts the same size on the XO and slash?

Are people having problems with the HR cups?

Quote Originally Posted by JCsCustom View Post
    I finally had time to take the diff apart and the left side spider is stripped this is the same one that I was concerned about the slop & all gears & diff cup are trashed.

Is the XO-1 and Slash diff housings the same any advantage?

Is the output shafts the same size on the XO and slash?

Are people having problems with the HR cups?
    Thomasrevalee has had bad luck with one HR differential cup. I haven't heard anyone else having any problems with them. I am still on the fence as to what to buy. I do want to upgrade my differentials but I might just go with the XO-1 differential and see how long it lasts. The differential that went bad on me was around three years old.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've just order XO-1 diffs from jrc for my P4de build.
    humay has left the building, peace.

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    I've just order XO-1 diffs from jrc for my P4de build.
    Do you have a link for the site you got them from? I want toget an XO-1 differential just for the bar in it that adds strength. If I get more positive reviews for HR differential cup I will then get one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Thank you! It seems crazy to me that they keep all those differentials apart. If I order one, I'll have to take it apart to make sure that bar is inside the differential cup.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you! It seems crazy to me that they keep all those differentials apart. If I order one, I'll have to take it apart to make sure that bar is inside the differential cup.
    Edit:
    El Sob that's the wrong link I posted, heres the right one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XO-1-DIFFERE...item5659b327b4

Edit:
    El Sob that's the wrong link I posted, heres the right one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XO-1-DIFFERE...item5659b327b4
    Oh, ok! That is a little more reassuring. I fill my rear differential with 100,000 weight fluid so I would find out either way. Thank you! I like to keep a spare differential in my tool box just incase.

RC poster
    I will be ordering 2 of them today as soon as I decide what else I'm ordering

RC Champion
    After my disappointment in the FLM cups I went back to stock but with the I bar and not 1 problem bashing on 3S.

Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    After my disappointment in the FLM cups I went back to stock but with the I bar and not 1 problem bashing on 3S.
    So is it he XO-1 differential a direct replacement? All you have to do is connect the cv joints and go or do you have to replace the internal gears to get it to match up?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think I said it here before but, i'm going to say it again

slash 4x4 stock diffs = GOOD

slash 4x4 stock diffs with I bar = BETTER

XO-1 diffs = BEST

I think I said it here before but, i'm going to say it again

slash 4x4 stock diffs = GOOD

slash 4x4 stock diffs with I bar = BETTER

XO-1 diffs = BEST

Sounds good to me! I have had pretty good luck with the stock differentials, I give it to Traxxas they build a darn good truck! They can take a good beating and come back for more! I appreciate all the help everyone has contributed to this thread. It has been extremely informative.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    El Sob you think like me man, always wait for any result from someone that have experienced whether its good or bad then proceed from there. I myself didn't pull the trigger on buying them aluminum cups and after pro mod steve mention about his experienced, I back down (lost interest)

El Sob you think like me man, always wait for any result from someone that have experienced whether its good or bad then proceed from there. I myself didn't pull the trigger on buying them aluminum cups and after pro mod steve mention about his experienced, I back down (lost interest)
    There are times when I like to try new things first. Tires, when I see a set that catches my eye, I'll give those a shot. This just kind of happened by accident. I had just moved from an apartment into a house and didn't have the spare cash laying around. I am hoping one of the aforementioned companies steps up and makes things right for all the dissatisfied people using their products. I think from now on it will be a sit and watch game for me on certain things

RC poster
    I also ordered 2 XO-1 diffs from JRC should be here the 14th or 15th

RC Qualifier
    Here's a pic of my rear HR diff. Notice the angle of the shaft coming out of the housing. I had the FLM ctr diff. in the truck and it failed causing crazy vibration which transferred to the rear diff. causing it to fail. Now. Runnin the stock slipper and the stock rear diff. with the "I" bar spider gears. Hopin for the best. Will test tomorrow at track.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    Here's a pic of my rear HR diff. Notice the angle of the shaft coming out of the housing. I had the FLM ctr diff. in the truck and it failed causing crazy vibration which transferred to the rear diff. causing it to fail. Now. Runnin the stock slipper and the stock rear diff. with the "I" bar spider gears. Hopin for the best. Will test tomorrow at track.
    So that is what was causing that horrible wobble to the axles? Well how about this, I cannot get away to the track but if you bring your truck with you to work, give me a call when you get off we can test it in a bash spot of mine.

RC Champion
    This needs an update. Since I went back to factory cups from FLM not one problem at all. Been months since I switched back to plastic and flawless.

Thank you! Remind everyone, did you have the Hot Racing or the flm? I put a plastic differential as a replacement and it has been doing its job. I would still like to make his area of my trucks indestructible but only time will tell. Pro mod, I am just happy you found what works good for you.

RC Enthusiast
    just catching up on this thread and thought I would revise. Made the mistake of ordering the FLM diff cups on ebay, and trying to cancel before they ship. Hope others will not make same mistake and learn from the experiences of others... Just going to go with the X0-1 diffs in plastic housing and call it a day.

RC Enthusiast
    revising this old thread... valuable information given the current active discussion on upgrading stock diffs with X0-1 front/rear differentials. In summary, avoid the alum diff cases as plastic appears to be more durable.

RC Qualifier
    So let me get this straight also the wobble on the out put shaft is stopped when you install the ibar correct.

RC Enthusiast
    It may. Bad bearings may also be the problem.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chipsterguy View Post
    It may. Bad bearings may also be the problem.
    No it's not it's the diff out put yoke that's wobbly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    No it's not it's the diff out put yoke that's wobbly.
    Please may I inquire? So if you completely removed the differential from the truck. When you touch the output shafts there is a lot of movement? If that is the case, you need a new differential cup. That play comes from the inside getting worn away where the spider gears sit.

RC Qualifier
    It's an almost brand new diff cup I just rebuilt them a month ago.

RC Qualifier
    So I'm reading this right under 4s power the stock slash 4x4 diffs will last for a few years?

What I thought was a bearing causing wobble seems like its prob a bad cup. Since I don't know it seems smarter to me to order another stock and then tear this one down see what's going on in there and rebuild with the X0-1 gears
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

So I'm reading this right under 4s power the stock slash 4x4 diffs will last for a few years?
    Since the original truck was never engineered for much more the 2s with a 2 pole 3500kv motor I really doubt it.
    If you put an over powered engine in your 1:1 car its going to break, imo the slash is no different, running over sized motors and twice the power their engineered for imo isn't going to end well.
    Just upgrade when things break and have fun.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.