Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251

    El Slob special 2.0

    I was running a Traxxas 2200Kv & MM2 on 4s in my sl4sh. It is built from front to back to handle the power. The thing is, it's just too heavy! I was considering the El Slob special but I wanted a little higher Kv than the 2400. I have a 3800Kv, but is a 540 can... And I really want more oomph than the 3800Kv can muster. I wanted to find a 550 can motor like the traxxas 2200Kv. After alot of looking I found the vanguard 3150Kv 550 can motor. The bonus is that it has a 5mm shaft! Woohoo! I'm going to pair this with my MM2 & run 3S. Going to start with 15/40 mod1 gearing. Will let ya know how it goes.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  2. #2
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,620
    Good luck with that system. Might want to give some attention to the ESC power wire(s).
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,614
    Keep an eye on your temps as well.
    I'm not 100% but fairly sure El Sob was have some heat issues with the new axial motor.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Good luck with that system. Might want to give some attention to the ESC power wire(s).
    What are you referring to? The wires are a little dirty but intact, solder joints are factory and snug, insulation is not split... The fan wire looks to be on drive shaft but it's just the angle.
    Last edited by natrix500; 06-26-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    El Slob, can you chime in?
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  6. #6
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,620
    Need insulation here. Probably on the negative power wire too.

    Should look more like this:

    or this:


    BTW, the title is amusing, but I'm not sure if El Sob will appreciate it.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-26-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    I agree with the motor to esc wires. I had heat shrink, it was just too small. It's on my list of 'to do.' The red esc wire has been like that for 1.5 years. That's how it came from castle... Hasn't caused an issue yet. I'm still waiting on a replacement mip out drive... So it will not be ran like this. Painting a new body too... It's always something isn't it?
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  8. #8
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,620
    You aren't in any imminent danger, but it would be best to clean up those little things.
    As an owner of multiple trucks, I can agree that there's always something that can be done, but not necessarily something that has to be done.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    707
    I think that motor was dubbed the "viking" due to the sn of the poster that had it first?
    Lcg ultimate, mip's,castle SW8th 2200kv

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix500 View Post
    I agree with the motor to esc wires. I had heat shrink, it was just too small. It's on my list of 'to do.' The red esc wire has been like that for 1.5 years. That's how it came from castle... Hasn't caused an issue yet. I'm still waiting on a replacement mip out drive... So it will not be ran like this. Painting a new body too... It's always something isn't it?
    Throw a little silicone or something on it and call it done

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix500 View Post
    I was running a Traxxas 2200Kv & MM2 on 4s in my sl4sh. It is built from front to back to handle the power. The thing is, it's just too heavy! I was considering the El Slob special but I wanted a little higher Kv than the 2400. I have a 3800Kv, but is a 540 can... And I really want more oomph than the 3800Kv can muster. I wanted to find a 550 can motor like the traxxas 2200Kv. After alot of looking I found the vanguard 3150Kv 550 can motor. The bonus is that it has a 5mm shaft! Woohoo! I'm going to pair this with my MM2 & run 3S. Going to start with 15/40 mod1 gearing. Will let ya know how it goes.
    Keep us posted!

    Castle and Tekin both make 2650kV motors.
    Slash 4X4 LCG Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca and Fairfield, Ca
    Posts
    11,592
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix500 View Post
    El Slob, can you chime in?
    I will certainly chime in! First off look at my signature. I will say this, the 3150 is a good little motor but it runs a LOT warmer than the 2400 motor. I had it geared so it was .38 mph slower than my 2400 but it made a lot more heat doing it. I will probably keep it as a back up motor. I was geared 14/50. I think you may be asking a bit much for the motor.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    4,339
    Going to start with 15/40 mod1 gearing.
    Ohhh? That's high on a 3150kv. I was running 13/40 for off road use and 15/40 for street use on the 2400kv. Temps were in the 150s and the highest I saw was 161. The dual Integy fan got it down to the mid 140s.

    Let us know though. I've seen stranger things. One guy on here says a 5700kv is working fine for him.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,614
    Let us know though. I've seen stranger things. One guy on here says a 5700kv is working fine for him
    In a 4wd, this is a stretch for sure.
    I was shocked when Jezza had a 3800 run 3s with a mmp and his temps stayed decent but a 5700kv.
    Just think of how hard that little motor is working.
    I've never had one complaint about castle motors, sometimes I think they should throw a 10amp bec in with their esc's tho.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    I plan on running smc 7200mah 60C 3S lipos. I had 17/40 gearing with the 2200Kv so I'm down 2 teeth already. I'll go lower if I need to. USPS states my out drive hub should be here today so hopefully I'll have it up tomorrow. Going to put a hobby wing heat sink on it for insurance purposes. I know I'm asking ALOT of this motor but I'll let you all know.
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  16. #16
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,620
    "Working fine" means much different things to different people. Some claim that a Maxx with a Velineon 3500 works like a dream (but then post that there are heat problems.)
    There are no magic solutions here, so if someone is experiencing results which you don't think are reasonable, it is sensible to check the conditions under which the vehicle is operating AND make sure that they are not artificially limiting their scope of use in order to justify their claims.
    5700 (4-pole) on hard surfaces with small and/or hard tires? Why not? It just happens not to be how many or most of us would choose to run.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    4,339
    sometimes I think they should throw a 10amp bec in with their esc's tho.
    Or at least 5A. Here is the one thing that cheeses me off about Castle. Everyone is aware that the BECs are weak. Guess what? They sell the fix for that. An external BEC. But then you (reluctantly) buy this $22 BEC and think you are all set. Nope, guess what? It only puts out 5.1v.... but quess what? They sell the fix for that too. It's called a Castle Link and you plug it into it to make it the INDUSTRY STANDARD of 6 volts. That'll be ANOTHER $22 please.

    Sorry OP. Rant over.

  18. #18
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,620
    Industry standard is not 6.0 volts. Please stay on-topic.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Or at least 5A. Here is the one thing that cheeses me off about Castle. Everyone is aware that the BECs are weak. Guess what? They sell the fix for that. An external BEC. But then you (reluctantly) buy this $22 BEC and think you are all set. Nope, guess what? It only puts out 5.1v.... but quess what? They sell the fix for that too. It's called a Castle Link and you plug it into it to make it the INDUSTRY STANDARD of 6 volts. That'll be ANOTHER $22 please.

    Sorry OP. Rant over.
    No worries. Been there bought that
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    I looked in my pinion case and found an 11 tooth mod1 to go with my 40 tooth spur. This puts it about the same ratio as 15/54 mod8 so this should be a little more friendly than the 15t I had on it. I also have a 13t in there as well...got gearing covered. My boys and I are planning to run our rc's shortly. Got my IR gun with me to get temps. I'll let you all know later how it does.
    Last edited by natrix500; 06-28-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix500 View Post
    I looked in my pinion case and found an 11 tooth mod1 to go with my 40 tooth spur. This puts it about the same ratio as 15/54 mod8 so this should be a little more friendly than the 15t I had on it. I also have a 13t in there as well...got gearing covered. My boys and I are planning to run our rc's shortly. Got my IR gun with me to get temps. I'll let you all know later how it does.
    Enjoy, hope to hear some serious fun was had.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    Good news is my youngest did very well on his truck's maiden voyage. The oldest even helped him out and gave a few pointers. Gotta love it when brothers get along. Also, nothing broke on any of the 4 trucks taken.

    And now for the bad... On 3S, geared 11/40 (3.63), motor temps got to 180-200 degree F! Ugh... El Slob you are very correct my friend. This motor didn't like me 3S too much. Outdoor temps were 70F. I did not have the Dusty Motors cover on so air flow was good and temps still got high. I ran in somewhat tall grass mostly full throttle. I wanted the hardest conditions to test the motor out.

    Maybe the 3150Kv will like 2S more? Maybe you can put the 3150Kv motor shaft in a 2400Kv can with the end result being a 2400Kv with 5mm shaft...? I'm not an electrical guru, I work with the human body for a living...

    I'll have to call Castle and see if they'll give me any insight... Anyone have an opinion?

    I do have a CC 2650Kv that I can take out of my backslash and put in my sl4sh. I have 4S but want to run 3S to keep weight don't n some...
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    4,339
    Maybe you can put the 3150Kv motor shaft in a 2400Kv can with the end result being a 2400Kv with 5mm shaft...?
    Unfortunately, they are different lengths.

    Anyone have an opinion?
    What about trying 10/40 and an Integy dual fan?



    I know... I know... Integy. But this is one thing they make that actually works very well.

    According to this: http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html you would still see about 45 mph.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    I've got a hobby wing heatsink with fan. About the equivalent of the above mentioned solution. The problem is its not hot out yet... Summer temps get to 80-90 deg F here. This weekend was unusually cool. I appreciate the advice on the motor differences.

    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Unfortunately, they are different lengths.
    They look so simular without physically comparing them...
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,589
    Yup as billy-bones mentioned, I am one of the lucky ones with my MMP (unfortunately long gone and missed) and as murphys laws go I am sure if I get another MMP, it would be different, how ever I still have the CC 3800 and will eventually use it on of my trucks again.

    Another motors that I suprisingly like is my tacon 2600 2 pole, and an Onyx 4550 I had , offcourse the Onyx never saw 3s and never intended to do so, but it had an awsome speed too on 2s geared 14/58

    Right now i am liking the El Sob special on 3s 18/54, its just awsome to show to my sons soccer team this weekend, awsome speed runs and bashing with both my salash 4X4 MT and erebe.

    That Viking also looks interesting, yeah keep us posted.
    Last edited by Jezza; 06-28-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I will certainly chime in! First off look at my signature. I will say this, the 3150 is a good little motor but it runs a LOT warmer than the 2400 motor. I had it geared so it was .38 mph slower than my 2400 but it made a lot more heat doing it. I will probably keep it as a back up motor. I was geared 14/50. I think you may be asking a bit much for the motor.
    That sucks I was hoping I had a bad motor and that you wouldn't have the heat problems I had. The best motor I have found for these trucks is leopard 3674 2650kv geared 17/54 to 50. I have ran the traxxas 2400kv the vanguard 3150 the alphastar 2350 stock traxxas 2 and 4 pole. The traxxas 2400 is impossible to beat for the price I think ,I have three trucks now and I run it in 2 of them with sidewinder 8th's in them.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca and Fairfield, Ca
    Posts
    11,592
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoC6z06 View Post
    That sucks I was hoping I had a bad motor and that you wouldn't have the heat problems I had. The best motor I have found for these trucks is leopard 3674 2650kv geared 17/54 to 50. I have ran the traxxas 2400kv the vanguard 3150 the alphastar 2350 stock traxxas 2 and 4 pole. The traxxas 2400 is impossible to beat for the price I think ,I have three trucks now and I run it in 2 of them with sidewinder 8th's in them.
    It's a decent motor. Just for my taste it runs too hot! I think that on 2s it may be the perfect motor for someone. I haven't decided on what to do with it yet. It is a backup for now. I hope to not break another motor shaft. I love the El Sob 2400! I have mine geared 17/50. This past weekend it was in the 80's and the motor never got hotter than my hand. The 3150 geared 14/50 never got too hot to touch but I never truly felt good about running it on 3s.

    You were right about the screws on the motor by the motor plate. They didn't have any Loctite on them. They loosened up but my heatsink kept them from falling out.
    Last edited by El Sob; 06-29-2015 at 05:24 AM.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    651
    I think it's about time for me to chime in with my experience with the Vanguard 3150kV after five months of use.

    Firstly, although most people seem to prefer 3S, I only run 2S (geared 14/54T with 2.8" Trenchers, top speed 31mph). I picked the 3150 because I thought that the kV-rating would suit 2S perfectly.
    Secondly, where I live we haven't seen ambient temps above 15C (60F) so far this summer (which isn't unusual - average in July is 12.5C (55F).
    I have a Traxxas heat sink on the motor (#1522), but no fan. The motor is paired with a HW SC-8 WP ESC, and I use a Dinogy 2S 6500mAh 65/130C battery (average run time 40min). I also use a Dusty Motors shroud in the summer and a self made shroud in the winter (because the DM shroud isn't able to keep all the snow out).

    I do not bash extremely hard. In the summer I run about 10% on short cut grass, 40% on tarmac and 50% on sand and gravel. The highest temp I've seen is 65C (150F), but that was after a lot of speed runs and braking with my home made shroud on. And I only did it to see how high I could get it. With the Dusty Motors shroud I average 40C (105F).

    The combo is incredibly smooth with no cogging and very linear throttle respons. I run it with a Hitec Lynx 4S radio and a Proton 4 receiver with built-in GPS and a temp sensor on the motor (the temps are double checked with a temp gun).

    Bottom line is I LOVE it!
    But I can understand the heat issues on 3S and under high ambient temps. It only shows that everyone has to find the set-up which suits them the best.

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    4,339
    Well... there we go. 2 good reviews from 2 experienced users. So, to sum it all up. The 3150kv is great for a 2s rig, not great for a 3s rig.

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier natrix500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canton OH
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Well... there we go. 2 good reviews from 2 experienced users. So, to sum it all up. The 3150kv is great for a 2s rig, not great for a 3s rig.
    Agree with your statement. I may eventually put the 3150Kv in my youngest son's Slash platinum with the new 4 pole capable traxxas esc on 2S of course...

    For my sl4sh, I still plan on 3S... The castle 2650Kv will come out of my street oriented backslash and be placed in this rig. The goal of going to the 3150Kv was to lighten the sl4sh up. It had a 2200Kv on 4S prior... The backslash will become a Rally with an xl2 & 2200Kv project for speed runs

    Oh, I addressed the exposed connections too...
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •