Thread: 3s Lipo

RC Champion

3s Lipo

So I've been running a 3s lipo in my Digger for some time now and now I have a problem. When I went to charge it, it said it was full so go out to run hits LVC instantly. Upon further inspection the black wire on the balance plug pulled out of the white balance plug. How would I go about fixing this?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Competitor
    First of all, did the wire pull out of the female pin or did the pin pull out of the connector? if the wire pulled out you need to somehow open the connector and get the pin out to re-solder the wire back into the female pin. then put it all back together.

If you can't do that you can purchase a new connector. (try Newark.com or visit a Radio Shack) Cut off the old one and reconnect the wires to the new connector. Just be sure to write down the proper pin out from your old connector.

Good Luck...
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL

RC Competitor
    Did you balance charge it last time or just a straight charge without balance?

I have a 2s lipo where the balance connector has a wire that likes to pull out of the white connector. The wire is still attached to the pin so I just push it back into the connector when I do a balance charge. There is a little "nub" that will hold the pin into the connector that just needs to be bent slightly to fix the problem permanently.

One of my 3S, has one of its balance plug wires kinda pulled out, and came like that and sometimes it wont register as a 3S to one or both of my chargers. Not fun.... It thinks its a 2S cuz of it, so only one of my chargers will charge it.

Take a pic, so we can better see whats going on... If its the balance plug one of its wires, shove it back in...
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I hate those JST-XH (balance) connectors. I don't know if they are all cheesy or some/all are China made. I found on eBay a connector saver that is supposed to keep that from happening. I just havent installed them. But yet they are a pain and a pain to get back on if you are able. I think you have to buy a whole new connector and reinstall it. Ughhh. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Yes its just a wire that pulled out, when I try to charge it after shoving it back in my charger just keeps beeping. Is it okay to charge it as if it was a 2s or no?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    Yes its just a wire that pulled out, when I try to charge it after shoving it back in my charger just keeps beeping. Is it okay to charge it as if it was a 2s or no?
    In balance mode it won't balance all 3 cells correctly. I'm not sure which 2 it is that it will balance and the one it won't. Which color came out? You will probably be better off replacing the balance connector IMO. They are a dime a dozen.

JST-XH
    JST-XH connectors are by far the simplest. All the wires are simply attached in order starting with Neg (-) at the top of the connector and finishing with Pos (+) at the bottom. This is the case for all 2s-6s balance connectors.
    Here is a diagram of a 3 cell lipo and how the balance connector is wired.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    It is the black wire. Guess I need to be more careful with the balancing connector. Is there something you can cover them with while you are using the batterys?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you guys are talking about the little metal female pin pulled out of the white balance plug, try this:

Inspect closely the small metal pin and look for a very small blade-like edge on one side of the pin. It will be barely noticeable and appear as just a slight rise stamped out of the pin. It most likely will be pushed down nearly flush with the pin side. I'll call this edge the retainer. Using a hobby knife blade or something similar, try lifting/bending the leading edge of the retainer up just a mere fraction of an inch. Too far and it will snap off, so just barely lift/bend it. After lifting/bending it ever so slightly, insert the pin back into the white balance plug in the same configuration as the other plugs. The pin should slide in and the newly bent retainer should catch the edge of the balance plug which will prevent it from coming back out.

Thats the info I was looking for. Thanks Jakey.

BTW do the balance connector savers do any justice by keeping them from coming out?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm not sure what balance connector savers are????

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I'm not sure what balance connector savers are????
    They look to keep the wires from pulling from the JST-XH connector. I had to find a pic that was permitted. Looks to be a good idea, just not sure if they do what they are intended for.

More of saving the plug from user error. haha
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 03-08-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't know???? Yeah, they probably would work. Seems kind of over kill though.

RC Champion
    The balance plus should be removable for when the battery is in use....
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I don't know???? Yeah, they probably would work. Seems kind of over kill though.
    And bulky and ugly looking, right??? I was looking for JST connectors last summer and happen to come across those. I have them still in package. Think they werent as enticing as the picture portrayed or at least the one I originally looked at. I might try on a couple connectors just to see.

Bruno Mars RoCkEd at the Houston Livestock Show & RoDeO!!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore