Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jimmies Mobile Play Center...

Been working on this for the past few weeks...
    finally got it finished tonight!

The finished product... it weighs about 35#.

I can be 30' from an outlet and still power up my charger with 24 volts.

Shot from the backside.

Binding post on the outside to power up an RC buddies charger... just in case we feel like using more of the 41 available amps.

Cell checker and temp gun Velcro'd to the underside of the lid... very important RC tools.

Battery clamps in case I am more than the 30' away from an outlet.

Charging tray... it was the lift out tool tray with a handle... I cut the handle out and riveted a sheet of aluminum in the bottom of the tray after I sprayed it with bed liner.

Controller storage... I added "on" diffused red indicator LED's to my hacked 8 channel radios powered by 3S LiPo's... hopefully I won't forget that they are on anymore. lol

Continued...
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 03-07-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Parts are stored in the lower section.

Fluids...

miniRevo and Boss Mustang parts...

Summit parts...

Future RC parts... getting a MT4 this Friday! Not many spare parts for this one yet.

Continued...
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 03-07-2013 at 01:40 AM.

The 24+ volt 41 amp power supply is stored in the very bottom. Time will tell if I need to add more ventilation.

AC cord and the CAT5 cable for the controls.

8 gauge power cords, 50 amp shunt, and the backside of the binding posts.

Now we are back up into the lid... this is where the CAT5 leads to. Down is off, making it safe to attach a charger.

Middle is 12v/41a/492w, just in case the outlet trips a breaker with both SPS's turned on... 12v is indicated by the red diffused LED.

Up is 24v/41a/984w... and indicated by both red diffused LED's.

The layout of the upper area... on the left you can see the amp meter so I can make sure that I am not trying to pull more out of the supply than it can provide.

Continued...

To get the cord reel to work as I wanted it to, the ends needed to be swapped. I would have made it so that it was hard wired to the SPS, but I also use this reel to power up my camper.

Some pretty close quarter soldering.... and it hides in the stopper ball really well.

Took the reel apart and added some bolts so it can be mounted.

Originally, I had wanted to mount the reel on the back... even drilled holes for it, but it made the play center too tippy.

Carved out the hole for the C13 socket.

All bolted in place.

The most challenging part of this project was getting the holes drilled in the lid... there was no room for a standard drill bit so I ended up carving them out free hand with a ball nose bit in my Dremel.

I made sure that the cords that run from the bottom storage area up to the lid actually slide... they don't kink when the lid is shut. The CAT5 cable slides down into the storage area and the amp meter cable (USB cord) slides up into the project box that houses the amp meter.

Now that this project is complete, I won't have to make a half dozen or more trips out to the car whenever I want to go play with my toys.

RC Racer
    Ok....now that is awesome, good job and thanks for sharing that bit of ingenious engineering!
    Who needs brakes!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Simply Amazing, Great Job, i am now going to TRY and make myself one!!

A thing of beauty...that actually does something besides look cool,which it does anyways.very nice work

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Maaaannn you got it covered at the track that's sweet
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Ok that's impressive....nice and I mean very nice work Jimmy
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Very cool, but I have a question about the cord actually two. One I do not see any protection over the solder joints are you not worried about the possible danger in that, or are the protected some how? Two instead of "swapping the ends" couldn't you have taken the cord completely out and rewound it from the other end? Since you had it out to drill the holes it would have been easy to do. Not complaining just courious is all. very cool set up to say the least though.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

Thanks for the compliments fellas!

The only joints that are not protected are the ones that are around the bottom side of the binding posts.... for a couple of reasons. One being that the only way to cover then would be to cover them in liquid electrical and that would make them difficult to remove if I ever need to. Two being that since they are tucked up out of the way you would pretty much have to mean to touch them while they are active to get a poke. Third being that since the containers within the storage area are plastic there is no worry of them shorting them out. Fourth being that even if they were touched or shorted out, the SPS would simply shut down... and this happens so fast that you barely even feel a poke.

The joints on the AC power cord are protected... the white one (not visible in the picture) has shrink on it and the other two are staggered so that they can never touch within the rubber sheath that grips the cord inside of the plastic stopper ball.
    Uncoiling and swapping ends would not get you too far... the IEC C13 end shown is stationary - as in soldered to a slip joint. Also, the standard plug end is soldered to the other side of that slip joint. Retractable cord reels are not one continuous section of wire.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 03-07-2013 at 10:16 AM.

RC Qualifier
    that's awesome!!
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    I did not know that about that type of cord assembly thanks for the info. By the way great work on it.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Champion
    Freaking sweet dude! Nice work for sure.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    Great project/hauler! One thing that would make this even more incredible is to put some holding device on the back. Whether it be bungee cords or something you make yourself, if you could get it to hold a rc it would be sweet!

EDIT:
    i didn't see it doesn't have wheels so it might make it hard to carry, either way it is sweet!
    END EDIT

RC Champion
    Heh at first I was confused then I found out chrome isn't loading the images. So I jump over to firefox and it worked, Now I understand and it looks awesome! That will be really useful.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Quote Originally Posted by idkhow101 View Post
    Great project/hauler! One thing that would make this even more incredible is to put some holding device on the back. Whether it be bungee cords or something you make yourself, if you could get it to hold a rc it would be sweet!

EDIT:
    i didn't see it doesn't have wheels so it might make it hard to carry, either way it is sweet!
    END EDIT
    It does have wheels!

Bottom of this picture:

Left of this picture:

The only place I might be able to put an RC is strapped to the front somehow... but since I would have to remove it every time I wanted in it, I might as well just carry it. Besides, my 15lb Summit will probably tip it over. lol

FYI:
    I am working out some ammeter kinks... I think I get a defective one due to the fact that the readout is no where near the actual amperage being drawn.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like anything you build; ends up being top quality and well done!
    Might add looks great and should do the job for you real well.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

Thanks!
    I hope so... I have about $70 wrapped up in it not including the RC parts, charger, or radio.

RC Qualifier
    You sir. Are a genius. Great work mate
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Racer
    patent it and submit it to trx lol

I have an update on the Ammeter issue... it has been solved.
    Two things were causing issues. One being a defective meter... the other being too small of wire used creating additional resistance and throwing off the meter. Here is a shot of the new meter and wiring installed:

I used the smallest RC wire I had on hand... 16-18 gauge probably would have worked just fine.

I found an issue with the way I wired it up to run 12v. With both supplies getting AC in either configuration (12v or 24v), the one supply that is running to make the 12 volts is fine... but the one that is not producing anything (meaning the fan is off too) is overheating. I have figured out a way to solve this... make a parallel harness so that the 12v unit runs the fans in both units. But this also means that the unit that creates the other 12v to make 24v will not turn on because it is not running a fan... one of the many safety features. I have also figured out a way to solve this issue along with another (twp birds with one stone so-to-speak)... have the 24v unit power a fan to vent the mobile station itself. Once I figure out if I want to draw hot air out or blow fresh air in I will know what kind of grill to order. If it is blowing out I will have a plain metal grill and if it is blowing in I will have a filtered grill.

I will keep updating this thread as I make changes!

RC Competitor
    If you suck air in would it not control the dust better than if you have it blow out?

It would be about the same either way, really. The unit is not air tight by any means... dirty air is going to get inside no matter what direction the fan is blowing.

RC Competitor
    So what about reversible? That way on hot days you can vent the air and on cooler days you can bring in the air?

Then you are talking about adding a controller to the fan... it is brushless.

I have decided!!

I am pulling in fresh air... I mounted the fan up high in hopes to keep most of the dust out. This method will somewhat pressurize the unit and may help keep the internal dust to a minimum. I ended up just using some screen material I had laying around instead of a fancy filter that bolts on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Thanks!
    I hope so... I have about $70 wrapped up in it not including the RC parts, charger, or radio.
    . So that means you'll take 100 for it lol

Very nice build you have there so when is it hitting the market?
    what are you going to use for movement prevention? i see alot of stuff that can move around a lot. I had an idea when i first looked at the pics think it was draw liner to have stuff grip to it to not move around so much.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Shipping costs would be horrendous... and I would be charging a lot more than $70 for it! lol

What are you worried about moving around Mike?

RC Champion
    OH MY LUCKY STARS!!!!!!

Man, you like to tinker WAY more than I do.......Oh, by the way, where is the Radio??

Under the charging tray:

Or did you mean the one that pumps out tunes?

RC Racer
    ok for the fan you can get a thin peice of foam to go between the screen add a second screen just larger than the first to create a finer filter just my 2c

Good idea.
    I will see how dirty it actually gets inside before I do anything though.

Shipping costs would be horrendous... and I would be charging a lot more than $70 for it! lol

What are you worried about moving around Mike?
    charger, paraboard, tx's, psu not sure if you have them secured didnt see it if you did. some kinda non slip padding like found in tool drawers or cabinets i found a huge roll at grandma's today going to come in hand when i make something for my psu+charger.
    shipping would be more than the product itself haha

The iCharger came with rubber sticky feet and it is sitting on bed liner material which is grippy by itself.
    I need the paraboard to be able to move to the batteries... what little it will shift during transport is not a concern.
    The Tx's are pretty snug where they are... not too worried about them shifting either.
    The SPS/PSU has rubber sticky feet on the bottom and is Velcroed on the back.

We had that liner stuff between the couch and the couch cushions of our old couch. The material was so slick the cushion would dump you on the floor if you leaned back. lol

ok so you got alot covered or just about everything then...
    haha funny that stuff is slick if used like that i know i cut some for our cabinets and works good but if you just throw something in it slides around alot but that is funny you would slide off your couch cushions.
    30ft is a super long cord cant see you using more than 10ft maybe but who knows i like the retracable cord your using nice feature too.

I try to think through just about every situation that could happen... and it seems I always miss something once I start using it more regularly. lol Like the over-heating 24v supply when only wanting 12v.

30' is overkill for this... but sometimes it is not long enough when it is powering my camper.

I try to think through just about every situation that could happen... and it seems I always miss something once I start using it more regularly. lol Like the over-heating 24v supply when only wanting 12v.

30' is overkill for this... but sometimes it is not long enough when it is powering my camper.
    true it would over heat perhaps if not enough air flow for the psu to have if only using 1 i know if i put mine to close to the wall when charging the fan changes sound and the air flow is not that much then if i pull it away further it returns back to allowing more flow.
    ooh yes 30' is sometimes not enough i know that i have to have a 50ft and a 100ft on hand for grandma to have for her 5th wheel both are thicker than what you have used them for building the house.
    gives me an idea when i get our house is to have that cord with me to hook up my psu+charger when i am out so i dont have to walk back to the garage lol kinda lazy i know

RC Qualifier
    nice "build" jimmy! i wish i had the $$$$$$ to do that, but my rc fund,well my fund in general is 0.00, so it will be summer before i get anything fixed!do you have any nitro RC's?
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!