RC Racer

Castle 2400kv Motor Speed Issue

I just finished rebuilding my 2400kv motor with my 5mm Shaft repair kit that came in the mail today. The motor seems to be running perfectly fine. I am running 19/52 Hot Racing Steel Pinion(Just installed today) and Spur along with a FLM Center Diff. I went out today to get some speed runs with my 3s 5000mah lipo and my top speed was only 37Mph! I was surprised since others are averaging about 50Mph with the same gearing. I have MIP's all around, Can it be the weight? My battery was fully charged. My tires were not ballooning. Can it be from going from a 3.2mm shaft to a 5mm? My bearings are clean, but havent checked my diffs for a long time. Does my new Steel pinion need to be broken in? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what oil wt did you put on your CD? your pinion dont need to be broken in.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Racer
    I actually dont know, since I purchased the Center Diff ready to go and I wasnt told which wt oil was inside. Do you think putting fresh oil will help? If so, what wt do you recommend (I was thinking 30k)? I race on-road and bash on grass/dirt.

RC Qualifier
    there is 100k in there right now. i found 500k to work the best for me . its diff lube for the funny car

RC Champion
    I'll GPS mine this week. I've got the same motor but 17/54 gearing.
    Mine seems pretty peppy.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    What are the performance differences between the 100k and 500k?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlledWithRemote View Post
    500k is a big difference you'll feel it once you have it in there by trying to spin it with your hands. me i ask why you put a CD?

RC Racer
    I got the center diff when I purchased a used slash 4x4, when I tried it there was more acceleration. From then my gears always felt pretty stiff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i'm guessing the previous owner race it? CD is more likely for racing, great for eliminating wheelies as it transfer most of the spin to the rear.

RC Racer
    Yea, I really enjoy it for bashing around as well! By putting 500k diff oil in it, will the gears be smoother? By that I mean, will the car be able to roll around easily without using too much pressure? This will also increase my speed right?

RC Champion
    It can potentially increase your speed by limiting the excess wheel spin of the front tires and giving a little more to the rear.
    If the car stutters when you just push it, then it's the motor doing that, not the gears or anything.

In my Nitro Revos, I used Silly Putty in the center diff.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    I believe the the friction between the steel pinion and spur is causing a bit of stiffness to car. Anyways, last time I opened up my CD, the oil was a blackish color and I have never changed it. I think I'll go ahead by buying 500k diff oil just like everyone mentioned.

RC Qualifier
    its hard to explain really it will still wheelie. but you will need to really want it to. its almost like a pefectly set up slipper or a smart slipper it just seem to let go at the right moment .

RC Racer
    Alright thanks! Will the traxxas 500k diff oil be fine or do you recommend some other brand?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Alright thanks! Will the traxxas 500k diff oil be fine or do you recommend some other brand?
    it dont matter what brand you get as long as its 500k, your good.

RC Racer
    After some speed runs today with my center diff and the same diff oil. Gearing is 19/52. I got a max speed of 41Mph, which is 4mph faster than yesterdays top speed. Motor temperature was about 90 degrees Fahrenheit after about 7 mins of constant speed runs! Tomorrow I will be trying out some speed runs with my slipper clutch, I will keep you guys updated. [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ControlledWithRemote; 03-31-2013 at 04:55 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the first time you run it and hit only 37mph, whats the temp outside? i find it that diff oil tend to softened when heat goes up and when temp drop the oil gets back to its thickness.

RC Racer
    Well, I opened the center diff and there was only about 50% oil in it. I also payed closer attention to where the power was being distributed. Both front and rear wheels were getting equal amount of power. I also tried my slipper today and I prefer it for bashing than compared to the CD. I still like my CD, but would only use it for loose dirt or gravel because I get alot of traction which makes my slash tip over on turns. It can also make really tight turns. Now I realize how it would be good for racing since
    I ran both.