Thread: Servo Question

RC Enthusiast

Servo Question

So building my LGC Slash and just got the Savox 1258tg servo. I got this puppy installed and when I went to test it out it turns the transmitter red, cuts out then turns back on quickly. I am taking this is brown out and will require a BEC, but did lots of research on here about servos with stock electronics and this seems to be the go to servo. I have tried the servo in my SCT410 and it works like a champ. I am confused do I just get the BEC and if so which one is good to buy?

---------------------------------------------
    (2)Slash LGC 4X4 Stock ESC +Motor
    Slash HGC 4X4 RX8 T8 Tekin 2650
    SCT410 HobbyWing SCT Pro 4700Kv

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Yep its browning out.

A quick easy fix is a Glitch Buster. You can pick up one of these from $5-10. They work very well at fixing the issue. This remedies it very well. The best fix is an external BEC. Castle has a nice 10A BEC for about $22.

With the Glitch Buster you just plug it into a free'd up port on the Rx and it'll fix it just like that. The 10A BEC will require you to cut some wires and do some soldering.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. What is the diffrence between the two fixes?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone View Post
    Thanks for the info. What is the diffrence between the two fixes?
    Some servos draw a little more current than is available through the receiver and a 1000 mfd capacitor plugged into port 3, 4 or 5 will instantly provide the current/voltage needed to keep brown outs to minimum.

But under higher servo load, sometimes the voltage drops to 4.0V and the ESC canít regulate the voltage fast enough to keep it constant. By using an external BEC, like the CC BEC rated @ 10A, you are making sure even under stress the servo is getting constant voltage and enough current to draw from.

Hope this helps a little.. Most of the time the Glitch Buster concept works just fine. I use the Glitch Buster method as a precaution and build them myself for less than $2.50....

So if you can solder the latter is a quick cheep fix or test to see if it solves your problem.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Glitch buster fixed it. Thanks for the help

RC Champion
    Did you buy one or make it yourself? Either way, glad you fixed it so quickly.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Those things work like magic. I have both the novac plug in, and the Castle solder in. The Castle was kind of a pain to install but it's more robust.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    They do work wonders, I did my first one just because I used so many lights on my rc for night driving when we would go to Glamis in the sand dunes.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    I purchased the Novak Plug in. What is required to build your own?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone View Post
    I purchased the Novak Plug in. What is required to build your own?
    Did the Novak plug come with wires on the plug?
    If so just purchase a low ESR 1000 mf capacitor(less than a $) and solder the positive lead of the capacitor to the center wire (positive), hopefully red, of the plug and the negative lead of the capacitor to the negative lead (should be black or brown) on the plug. If the plug has three wires do not use the white or yellow as that will be a data wire.

If you need a picture, let me know....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The traxxas BEC is a little weak for a super high voltage servo. But, with an upgraded ESC, especailly a castle (like an MMM or MMP) you can adjust the BEC to output more voltage. I run a 1258 in my rally with an MMP ESC and have never had a brown out. But again, upgraded ESC made the difference. I have a few glitch buster laying around and have used them with great results when they were necessary. IMO, an external BEC is alot of hassle and extra wiring to fix a problem like this. Most of the time your not turning your wheels back and forth as fast as you can (which is often what causes a brown out) so the glitch buster adds that extra buffer needed to prevent brown outs during normal driving.

With all that said, I run a 1258 in my 2X4 stampede with a stock traxxas VXL system and have never had a brown out.