Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

stripped desperadoes

I stripped my rims today.
    Is there a better rim i can use that wont strip?
    Upgrades?

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum hex hubs?
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    All 12mm hubs have potential to strip. I have found that gluing the hex into the wheel stops this from happening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have always wondered why the hex solution is used. A square or triangle solution would have a much lower risk of stripping. You need 17mm to get rid of the problem.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I have always wondered why the hex solution is used. A square or triangle solution would have a much lower risk of stripping. You need 17mm to get rid of the problem.
    what rims can i use then with 17mm that will fit right?

Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    Aluminum hex hubs?
    i have aluminum hexs on the front and mip ones one the rear
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-03-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Oh...I guess that eliminates my input
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

MIP has 17mm hexes. Bit expensive, but it is an option.

RC Qualifier
    Rpm revolver stablemax wheels 17mm fit great. Aka 17mm adapters are great quality. The inner part of the wheel ends up the same distance away from the body as desparados. Look up how to remove your tires and trim them to put on the bigger wheels. Really easy once you do it, I just did last week.

RC Qualifier
    will e-revo rims and tires fit?

RC Qualifier
    The full sized e-revo ones would fit if u got 17mm adapters I bet but those are some big tires for a pede. 5.75 tall on 3.8 rims. Performance would go downhill. Stocks and trenchers are a little under 5" tall. Your in a bind cause 2.8 wheels aren't made in 17mm. Use 3.2's and trim them.

RC Qualifier
    Slaughter has been on the forum a long time, has a wicked set up and he says gluing hexes works. I never glued new hexes into new wheels. When I tried it the wheels were already stripped. Worked for a while but wobbled.

I glue my hexs at the mo because i can not afford 17mm adaptor and wheels right now and so far they are holding up well to my tenshock motor so i am happy for now......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    im not to sure I want to glue the hexes in place...Especially since the rears are mips. I know it works but I plan on putting the desperadoes on my p4de thats only running 2s...
    I guess ill be getting some rims and trimming

Then go 17mm and never strip hexs again.When i have got the cash i will upgrade to 17mm too....peace

RC Competitor
    I have trenchers mounted on desperados on order right now. What are drawbacks to gluing the hexes to the new wheels? I also suspect if I go that route, I should buy new traxxas hexes huh? Seems the ones that came with my tekno cvds are slightly smaller than the stock traxxas hexes.

RC Qualifier
    If you have Teknos like I do, then traxxas hex won't fit because its only 5mm. I drilled out my traxxas hexes to 6mm but you have to be very careful to keep it centered. Since you are gluing, I would think the slightly smaller tekno hexes will be fine. Just put a lot of tire glue and make sure it's centered. Shoe goo might be better at filling the empty space.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    All 12mm hubs have potential to strip. I have found that gluing the hex into the wheel stops this from happening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I glue my hexs at the mo because i can not afford 17mm adaptor and wheels right now and so far they are holding up well to my tenshock motor so i am happy for now......peace
    What glue did you guys use?

Will shoo goo work?

Will do this mod today.

I found a shop that sells FLM 17mm adapters which fit over a 12mm hex (FLM21100). I can't find them on the FLM website. Maybe they stopped making those. Nice solution for my MIPs at the rear and FLM duellers at the front.
    Just a pity I ordered some preglued Subcultures on Rulux wheels. Oh well, you can't always be lucky.

Thank you peter for the info and thanks for helping me out with the motor thing this forum is lucky to have a person like yourself......peace

RC Competitor
    If you have Teknos like I do, then traxxas hex won't fit because its only 5mm. I drilled out my traxxas hexes to 6mm but you have to be very careful to keep it centered. Since you are gluing, I would think the slightly smaller tekno hexes will be fine. Just put a lot of tire glue and make sure it's centered. Shoe goo might be better at filling the empty space.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Gorilla glue might be another good option as it expands as it dries.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by baylorar View Post
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Gorilla glue might be another good option as it expands as it dries.
    Thanks guys! Have some gorilla glue at home so will be doing it today.

RC Qualifier
    I found a shop that sells FLM 17mm adapters which fit over a 12mm hex (FLM21100). I can't find them on the FLM website. Maybe they stopped making those. Nice solution for my MIPs at the rear and FLM duellers at the front.
    Just a pity I ordered some preglued Subcultures on Rulux wheels. Oh well, you can't always be lucky.

nice!!!
    where can i get some of these??

Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    nice!!!
    where can i get some of these??
    Just Google on FLM21100. Brings you here.

Got the FLMs in the mail today. Typical FLM. No instructions and sort of a puzzle how to mount them.
    The silver coloured part fits nicely over the 12mm hex and with the black part you can fasten the wheel. No idea what the purpose of the grub screw is.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-06-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: merge

Nice kit man tell us what you think after you have given them a test or two.....peace

Nice kit man tell us what you think after you have given them a test or two.....peace
    I will, but I have to buy a set of 17mm wheels first. Not sure what to get. RPM revolvers are nice but HPI Warlocks look pretty decent too.

The hpi warlocks look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and what colour or finish would you go for peter???.......peace

The hpi warlocks look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and what colour or finish would you go for peter???.......peace
    The wheels will be black. The way I use my Pede would show too soon on chrome like ones. Lol. Not sure if I am going to try to get my Trenchers on them or get tires which fit more easy.

RC Qualifier
    I always wondered, what happens if a 17mm wheel nut comes off and disappears? Seems like you have to buy a whole new set.

Universal fit 17mm wheel adapter installs onto existing 12mm wheel hexes(2.2 or 1/10 truck wheels). Adapter adds .435" offset and 17mm nut is threaded to fit 4mm wheel axle (Slash,CRt.5, Mini Hyper, etc.). Nut includes 4mm set screw for extra security against loosening. Adapts 1/8 buggy wheels to Slash 4wd, Crt.5, mini Hyper and similar vehicles. CNC Machined from 7075-T6 Aluminum.
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 03-07-2013 at 12:55 AM.

I always wondered, what happens if a 17mm wheel nut comes off and disappears? Seems like you have to buy a whole new set.

Universal fit 17mm wheel adapter installs onto existing 12mm wheel hexes(2.2 or 1/10 truck wheels). Adapter adds .435" offset and 17mm nut is threaded to fit 4mm wheel axle (Slash,CRt.5, Mini Hyper, etc.). Nut includes 4mm set screw for extra security against loosening. Adapts 1/8 buggy wheels to Slash 4wd, Crt.5, mini Hyper and similar vehicles. CNC Machined from 7075-T6 Aluminum.
    Yeah, I wondered the same. I have some wheelnuts on stock, but this kind of stuff on stock would be a bit pricey. Weird thing about the set screw is that you cant insert it into the 17mm nut from the outside, but only from the inside.

The wheels will be black. The way I use my Pede would show too soon on chrome like ones. Lol. Not sure if I am going to try to get my Trenchers on them or get tires which fit more easy.
    I think that combo will be awesome for all terrain and look sweet as well........peace

I ordered an extra set of unreal cheap Talon like tires and wheels. Those come unglued and the tires might fit nicely on the Warlock wheels.

I have the old pinned mips all round will those flm 17mm fit on.I am saving up to upgrade and need new wheels and tires too.....peace

I have the old pinned mips all round will those flm 17mm fit on.I am saving up to upgrade and need new wheels and tires too.....peace
    Those FLMs should fit any 12mm hex. I don't see why not on the old style MIPs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I see Tekno hexes mentioned a few times here.... one thing that needs to be said! Get rid of those Tekno hexes! The set that comes with the m6 upgrade will set you up for wheel failure! Tekno makes the hex out of nylon/plastic blend, its a very soft compound that causes all wheels under power to strip! If you buy the upgrades, Tekno alloy hex for $19ish, you will have a better chance of keeping your hex/wheels in tact. If your running some steady, hard driving power to the wheels, there's isn't any way around it, your gonna need some 17mm wheels. I did try the glue bit, it did work as a temporary fix.... even the Tekno alloys strip under steady 2s power from a strong motor.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    I see Tekno hexes mentioned a few times here.... one thing that needs to be said! Get rid of those Tekno hexes! The set that comes with the m6 upgrade will set you up for wheel failure! Tekno makes the hex out of nylon/plastic blend, its a very soft compound that causes all wheels under power to strip! If you buy the upgrades, Tekno alloy hex for $19ish, you will have a better chance of keeping your hex/wheels in tact. If your running some steady, hard driving power to the wheels, there's isn't any way around it, your gonna need some 17mm wheels. I did try the glue bit, it did work as a temporary fix.... even the Tekno alloys strip under steady 2s power from a strong motor.
    Seriously, this is depressing. I just got my trenchers mounted on desperados in the mail last night. I put them on, put the lugs on with loctite - ready to rock. Problem is I have tekno rear CVDs - and I come across this post. I have the stock motor and run 2s lipo.

Since I have the stock front CVDs and and tekno rear CVDs, these hexes are the same right, as far as size goes? Can I get these and use them on all four corners?
    http://www.amazon.com/ST-Racing-Alum...ampede+4x4+hex

Any advice is appreciated.

Those FLMs should fit any 12mm hex. I don't see why not on the old style MIPs.
    Thanks man for the help will start saving soon as and have a nice weekend.....peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    No, the only hex that fits the Tekno axle without modding is the Tekno 6mm set. If you look at the stub axles, traxxas/Tekno, you'll see that the threaded part of the Tekno axle is 5mm, the rest is 6.
    Stock motor and 2c shouldn't rip it loose if its nice and tight. Let your lock tight set up and check the right side wheel nut as often as possible. That's the side that can torque loose from forward throttle. I think that most stripped hexes happen when the wheel loosened up first. I've had a couple powerhouses (4s and a 2400) rip the hex loose in the rim and it was as tight as could be, but a stock set up can't do that. Keep um tight and see how it unfolds.....my sl4sh basher set up for 4s....
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Nice rig, dread. Good point about the bigger axles of the Teknos.

Got my cheapo tires and Warlocks in the mail. The fit is not perfect, but it saves me cutting an edge of the Warlocks which would make them look bad.

I like the look of the new wheels peter give us the low down after you have tested them out man.....peace