Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    480

    Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor

    Has anyone upgraded to the Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor upgrade? Do you like it? Does it have more speed/torque than the Titan 775? Would you recommend for someone else to upgrade to it? Do you use Lipos? I would be using Traxxas 2C 7600 mah lipos.

    Thanks,
    Clay

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,287
    I'm running one...never had the Titan so can't comment. I'm running mine on lipos 2/2s. It's going pretty smooth .
    Rock n Rolla !

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,413
    It's the dewalt 14.4v motor
    I have run one for a looooong time.
    It does much better when being fed lipo
    juice.It can be geared up some for a bit more speed,not brushless speed but not too bad.enough torque to pull stumps so to speak.and very hardy.a good proven upgrade as far as brushed motors go


    Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  4. #4
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,777
    It's not a KD Dewalt. It's just a Dewalt 396505-21SV 14.4V drill motor.
    From an earlier post of mine:
    This afternoon I was attempting to install a pinion on a Dewalt motor that had been prepped by Kershaw designs. (A subject for another day, but apparently their motor prep involves cutting the pinion gear off and making a flat spot in the shaft. This is good. But you are also paying for 14ga wire leads, one each + & -, equipped on one end with spade connectors that are slightly too large for the spades on the brushes, and with the cheapest Radio Shack looking bullet connectors on the other end, and which happen to be badly crimped.)
    What I didn't mention is the slice that was put in the face of the motor by whatever they used to remove the pinion. Having installed a couple Dewalt motors myself, I know how easily this can happen, but my slips were not nearly so bad, and I'm not charging for my services. I do give them points for doing a good job with making a flat spot in the motor shaft. I suppose the moral of all this is that if you buy the motor from them and not your nearest Sears store or local fixit shop, you'd do well to solder on your own wires and connectors. And inspect the motor for errant Dremel cuts.

    The Dewalt is a bigger motor (820 vs 775) and it has more torque. Therefore it can be geared for a little more speed. Although I firmly believe that the Titan 775 is a good enough motor for the Summit, I would have to admit that the Dewalt is a stronger motor with some pluses. Like it's rebuildable (replaceable brushes) and it has bearings instead of bushings. The minuses are that it's not exactly a direct fit and that it is not prepped "out of the box." However, if you expect Mamba Monster system type speed and power, you will be disappointed. It is a bit smoother under load than that system, though.

    Never used NiMH in my Summit. They were sold right away as I had a good stock of SPC Racing's LiPos on hand from my ERBE. The Traxxas 7600mAH LiPos are supposed to be very good too.

    This is a VERY good tutorial with more than "twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph ... explaining what each one" is:
    My own Dewalt 14.4 Instal. LOTS OF PICS by pavmentsurfer.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-14-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Posts
    347
    Yes, what KSB said

    I'd like to add that unless you plan to go to dual motors, there are a couple of slight minuses if you decide to go with the Kershaw motor mount.
    1) It raises the motor and therefore raises your COG. (a minus for crawling/climbing/cornering)
    2) You no longer have the stock Summit spur cover to help keep junk out of the spur gear. (not a major loss, just wanted you to be aware)
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 10-15-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    The Kid

    14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    2) You no longer have the stock Summit spur cover to help keep junk out of the spur gear. (not a major loss, just wanted you to be aware)
    I've managed to use the stock cover with the DeWalt motor, not sure if was because of the spacer mod
    Rock n Rolla !

  7. #7
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,777
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I've managed to use the stock cover with the DeWalt motor, not sure if was because of the spacer mod
    MK was referring to the gear cover used in conjunction with the Kershaw motor mount. Are you running that part?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    MK was referring to the gear cover used in conjunction with the Kershaw motor mount. Are you running that part?
    My bad...sorry I didn't read the first part about using the Kershaw motor mount ...I am running stock motor mount with the DeWalt motor.
    Rock n Rolla !

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    480
    Would I have to mod the stock motor mount? I dont have a Dremel, is it hard to do without a Dremel? I dont know how to solder wiring, is it hard?

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,413
    Soldering is not hard but does take practice to do it well.
    I got my no name dremal for 9 bucks on sale few years ago.a good tool for Rc uses. A small round file will do it,just take a bit longer.
    The mount is aluminium,so not super hard material


    Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 11-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    480
    I know how to solder copper pipe, but I hear wire is a little different. LOL

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,413
    Yes I believe so lol
    Torch vs iron. Sounds like a new comic book.


    Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    Would I have to mod the stock motor mount? I dont have a Dremel, is it hard to do without a Dremel? I dont know how to solder wiring, is it hard?
    I used a couple of small files. A rat tail and a half round. You don't have to remove much so take your time and test fit along the way.
    The Kid

    14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    55
    Hey Guys! I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to revive it with current news. I recently got a Dewalt 14.4V motor from them and had them solder the caps for me cause I wanted a pop n go motor...well that's not what happened. Kershaw still has terrible QC on their soldering work. The solder pops off the cans for the caps, the power leads going to the motors...well the ends broke off the + terminal, the can came with a little rust...and the quality of wiring is subpar to the factory (yes silicone wiring is better and they don't use it). After talking to Dan at Kshaw (which was useless), he didn't get back to me after I told him that his work was in need of some serious QC for something so simple. Yes...i am upset...missing time with my son makes me upset. Thanks Dan.

    FOR ALL OTHERS THAT READ THIS! Don't buy from Dan. The QC is terrible and it is easier to do it right yourself the first time. He fooled me once and never again. I would just hate to have someone go thru this. Either way...Have a great day and happy trailing!

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BFrank View Post
    Hey Guys! I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to revive it with current news. I recently got a Dewalt 14.4V motor from them and had them solder the caps for me cause I wanted a pop n go motor...well that's not what happened. Kershaw still has terrible QC on their soldering work. The solder pops off the cans for the caps, the power leads going to the motors...well the ends broke off the + terminal, the can came with a little rust...and the quality of wiring is subpar to the factory (yes silicone wiring is better and they don't use it). After talking to Dan at Kshaw (which was useless), he didn't get back to me after I told him that his work was in need of some serious QC for something so simple. Yes...i am upset...missing time with my son makes me upset. Thanks Dan.

    FOR ALL OTHERS THAT READ THIS! Don't buy from Dan. The QC is terrible and it is easier to do it right yourself the first time. He fooled me once and never again. I would just hate to have someone go thru this. Either way...Have a great day and happy trailing!
    That's too bad to hear, I wanted to order a 820 prepped from him too, guess I'll do it myself

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    44
    I got this kit and have been running it without caps for 2 years, have had no issues.
    Aton
    Summit DeWalt 820 14.4v

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    55

    Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor

    Quote Originally Posted by ostacruiser View Post
    That's too bad to hear, I wanted to order a 820 prepped from him too, guess I'll do it myself
    Pulling out the brushes is sooooo easy so it's worth doing it right the first time. You'll be glad you did.

    Also, Dan sent me a reply to my email in a couple days and asked me if I would like to return the motor so he can fix it. I just asked him if it was possible to just get a refund for the labor of the cap install....no reply yet.
    Last edited by BFrank; 02-10-2016 at 12:10 AM.

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waterbury CT
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by BFrank View Post
    Pulling out the brushes is sooooo easy so it's worth doing it right the first time. You'll be glad you did.

    Also, Dan sent me a reply to my email in a couple days and asked me if I would like to return the motor so he can fix it. I just asked him if it was possible to just get a refund for the labor of the cap install....no reply yet.
    What are the point of the "Caps" I just ordered an 820 this morning, I did not pay for the motor prep. Because at the top of the page it says Now includes dual wiring harnesses pre-soldered for no extra charge! Good for use with 2.4GHz radios

    Im confused

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier rtmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Across river Portland,Or.
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by BFrank View Post
    Hey Guys! I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to revive it with current news. I recently got a Dewalt 14.4V motor from them and had them solder the caps for me cause I wanted a pop n go motor...well that's not what happened. Kershaw still has terrible QC on their soldering work. The solder pops off the cans for the caps, the power leads going to the motors...well the ends broke off the + terminal, the can came with a little rust...and the quality of wiring is subpar to the factory (yes silicone wiring is better and they don't use it). After talking to Dan at Kshaw (which was useless), he didn't get back to me after I told him that his work was in need of some serious QC for something so simple. Yes...i am upset...missing time with my son makes me upset. Thanks Dan.

    FOR ALL OTHERS THAT READ THIS! Don't buy from Dan. The QC is terrible and it is easier to do it right yourself the first time. He fooled me once and never again. I would just hate to have someone go thru this. Either way...Have a great day and happy trailing!

    Sorry to hear about your issues. This is the 1st I've heard of Dan's work being inferior.


    I think I'd be more upset with myself for not being able to solder, lol.
    Last edited by rtmike; 02-25-2016 at 04:54 PM.

  20. #20
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,777
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    Sorry to hear about your issues. This is the 1st I've heard of Dan's work being inferior.
    Strange. It's been pretty well documented that there have been quality issues way too regularly.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    55

    Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor

    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Strange. It's been pretty well documented that there have been quality issues way too regularly.
    Yup it's not the first! And yes I do know how to solder very well as that's what I do at work. I added my own and was actually able to do them inside the motor so you can't see them while keeping clear of the fan and brushes. Cheers

  22. #22
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1
    Just bought a used Summit running this single Dewalt. Noticed mine is wired a bit differently than KSB51rl's. I have two wires coming off each post. Is that because you are running a different ESC, or do you have a splitter going to the EVX-2? Thanks in advance.

  23. #23
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    18,777

    Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor

    In the case of both the motor and the ESC, I also have two wires that run into 5.5 mm bullet connectors. It's the same ESC, but I don't like the stock connectors that are on the Titan775 and I saw no reason to keep the wires separated with a 4mm connector each.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-01-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •