RC poster

Concerned New Summit Owner

Hello Everyone

I guess I'm a newbie, its been about 15 years since I've owned a RC vehicle. So what do I do? I order a 1/10 Summit of course! Should be here early next week and I can't wait!

I've been doing a lot of reading, mostly on here and other forums, and now I'm a little concerned. I ordered it with the 2 5000mAh 2-cell LiPo batteries. It seems these batteries take a little more care and feeding that what I was used to in the past, so I'm a little concerned with them.

From what I've gathered, don't over charge them, don't let the charge go below 3v, storage charge them to 3.8v, charge them on concrete, use a LiPo bag, etc, etc. How deep is the water I'm getting in to?

A few questions I have are:
    1) Should I look to get a those bags to charge them in?
    2) Should I get a better charger than the stock balance chargers that are included? I was looking at maybe getting the Traxxas EX Peak Plus charger. It would appear the included balance chargers would not do a discharge or storage charge.

Any LiPo battery guidance would be appreciated. Heck, any other general guidance would be a bonus as well.

I really enjoy this forum, there is such a wealth of information and its good to know there is a lot help available when needed.

Thanks everyone.

I'm terrible, I don't use my lipo bags much when charging...I do use them all the time for storage...charge on a non flammable surface. I run 2s 7600mah batts...I get roughly 45min of solid bashing and about 1 1/2hrs crawling.

I'm sure others will chime in on lipo questions.

This thread may be of some use to you.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-build-edition
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I would get a better charger or chargers. the supplied ones probably take 5+ hours to charge each battery.

The bag will contain the heat and flames if the Lipo does catch fire.
    I also purchased Lipo alarms and voltage checkers, makes it easier/quicker to check the voltage of the cells than to hook it up to the charger.

they had the 2 units together for $10 when I bought them, one is an alarm that checks voltage and the other is just a voltage checker.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Digit...rds=lipo+alarm
    http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Digit...rds=lipo+alarm
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    I'm terrible, I don't use my lipo bags much when charging...I do use them all the time for storage...charge on a non flammable surface. I run 2s 7600mah batts...I get roughly 45min of solid bashing and about 1 1/2hrs crawling.

I'm sure others will chime in on lipo questions.

This thread may be of some use to you.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-build-edition
    Is your Summit setup stock geared? I was bashing for 40 minutes in the park the other day and the batteries were still at 3.9v with my 8200.
    I would have kept going but my brothers Revo-E had the pinion get loose, his Bandit ran out of battery, and his girlfriends Merv also ran out of battery.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC poster
    Once you get the hang of charging it won't be bad .i would get a new charger other than the traxxas one as they will take a while to charge the batteries with a diffrent charger it will take about a hour @ 5 amps your bats are 5000mah so charge at 4.7amps or 5 amps make sure low voltage cutoff is on esc

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Is your Summit setup stock geared? I was bashing for 40 minutes in the park the other day and the batteries were still at 3.9v with my 8200.
    I would have kept going but my brothers Revo-E had the pinion get loose, his Bandit ran out of battery, and his girlfriends Merv also ran out of battery.
    I have the DeWalt 14.4v motor mod and run 17/68 gearing.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    The chargers that come with are slow, but will get you by. If you decide to get a faster charger save yourself some money and research chargers. If in doubt ask here, there are some very knowledgable battery/charger aficionados in the summit forum.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    The chargers that come with are slow, but will get you by. If you decide to get a faster charger save yourself some money and research chargers. If in doubt ask here, there are some very knowledgable battery/charger aficionados in the summit forum

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Very true... research your chargers... mad the mistake of buying what the local shop had and it was a pc of crap.. Time i was done and got a good charger i spent over $400 between 2 chargers

RC Qualifier
    i too was concerned with Lipos and the extra care required.

NImhs were pretty much the least maintenance option and useful for the casual r/c er and if you dont want to mess with discharging before storage or "expanding/bloating" packs. however once you've tried the power of Lipos and they are generally lighter hard to go back.

1. get a decent charger
    2. get a lipo bag for storage
    3. dont leave batteries fully charged for too long

RC poster
    Thanks for the all the advice, I feel more comfortable now with the LiPo's.

I'm about to place an order for the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus charging system (#2933) and the dual charging adapter. $79 with free shipping for the charger.

Seems like most people that have it like, didn't see too many (or any) negative comments on it. I think it will be a good step up charger for me (for the near future anyways!).

RC poster
    Your truck will automatically shutdown. (not off, just down; low speed) Probably shouldn't run it much after that. If it came with the traxxas chargers, you shouldn't worry about overcharging. The bag, you could buy later. Just be around while they are charging. If you drop one on concrete or smash your batter holster, watch em a little closer. Trying to put some Baja 5t pro line trenchers on mine. Still investigating. Anyone certain on the hub size hpi wheels? 24?

RC Enthusiast
    You may want to look at the Duratrax Oynx 245 charger for your batteries - It is a little more money at $130, however it will charge two batteries at the sames time without having to split the current. (will charge both in less time)

Quote Originally Posted by cjhike View Post
    You may want to look at the Duratrax Oynx 245 charger for your batteries - It is a little more money at $130, however it will charge two batteries at the sames time without having to split the current. (will charge both in less time)
    The Traxxas EP+ is a 6-amp, 80-watt charger. The Onyx 245 is a 5-amp, 80-watt (2x40-watt) charger. How will the Onyx achieve a faster charge? Due to their identical watt limit, they will both be able to charge at about 4.76 amps.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Also, you can get a LOT better charger for $130.

Quote Originally Posted by motor city madman View Post
    Your truck will automatically shutdown. (not off, just down; low speed) Probably shouldn't run it much after that. If it came with the traxxas chargers, you shouldn't worry about overcharging. The bag, you could buy later. Just be around while they are charging. If you drop one on concrete or smash your batter holster, watch em a little closer. Trying to put some Baja 5t pro line trenchers on mine. Still investigating. Anyone certain on the hub size hpi wheels? 24?
    Yes it will shut off:
    Stage 1 is slowing down.
    Stage 2 is shut down of the motor.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 02-27-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Listen to ksb and Jimmie they know there stuff.They will not steer you wrong
    Their advice is like money in the bank
    The more of it you have the better the hobby.So to speak. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Once u have a good charger all will be good. Lipos are in more product than u know, cell phones, power tools, computers, etc.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The Traxxas EP+ is a 6-amp, 80-watt charger. The Onyx 245 is a 5-amp, 80-watt (2x40-watt) charger. How will the Onyx achieve a faster charge? Due to their identical watt limit, they will both be able to charge at about 4.76 amps.
    When you charge with the Traxxas you need to use the optional board to split out the leads to charge. In doing so your voltage will remain the same, however your current will cut in half to 3 amps per battery. This will slow your charge time. The Duratrax will charge each battery at 5 amps on AC at the same time. Therefor it will charge two batteries quicker at the same time.

The good thing about the Traxxas is it does come with a small built in discharger.

RC poster
    There not nearly as much maintance as it sounds. However, YES the ez pack plus is the way to go and make sure you get the adapter to charge 2 at a time!!! The regular charger is crap.

RC poster
    No kidding it will shut off. Lol. He asked for pointers. Mine was "Don't push it after it shuts down" Lithium holds a lot of juice. But, if you run them too dry, it'll break down faster; get brittle. In the end, you won't get as many qualities charges from your lipos. Also, its not a bad idea to label your chargers "A" and "B". And your batteries "1" and "2". That will let you know if something is acting up on you.