Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    The sheet metal came today and I drew out the shape I've decided on. I like the shape because I'll be able to add mud guards along the edge of the front and the sides. I then cut it out, it seems very strong! The four holes in the front are for the bulkhead, which are also beveled out. I also incorporated a guard so no rocks hit the drive shaft. I cut a slit underneath and bent it the opposite direction to get it smooth on the top.

Here's the front installed. I've decided to mount the bulkhead flat to prevent the slanted up-travel of the slash bulkhead. I also made a body mount/shock tower out of aluminum L-bracket. I'll drill the holes for the shocks once everything is on there.

Custom RWD 1/10 BJ Baldwin Trophy Truck

RC Qualifier
    So here's the completed chassis. Thought it turned out well, it's the same wheel base as the other two versions. I decided stronger L channels would help too, they're thicker and have more contact to the main chassis. The chassis plate is exactly 8 inches wide.

RC Champion
    Do you think you'll need any bracing to prevent folding?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Do you think you'll need any bracing to prevent folding?
    This metal is really thick, so no I don't think so. But I'll have to test it out first, that wouldn't be a bad idea though.

RC Champion
    Word. Couldn't really tell by the pictures. Maybe a brace similar to ones that are being used on the LCG chassis.

Could be prone to twisting the chassis at the middle connection, too; again, guess that can't be known until tested.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that version looks so much cleanner than v1! Not that v1 wasn't cool, but i'm sure this one will beat v1 on every aspects!
    But if i look closer, i see a weak point on your back plates:

those 90 degrees angle will create a bending point. But it can be reinforced easelly. Next time you cut inner corner in metal, try to do a 13MM radius instead of a sharp corner, it will remove the tear strength of those cuts!

Cheer and Keep up the good work!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    Wow, that version looks so much cleanner than v1! Not that v1 wasn't cool, but i'm sure this one will beat v1 on every aspects!
    But if i look closer, i see a weak point on your back plates:

those 90 degrees angle will create a bending point. But it can be reinforced easelly. Next time you cut inner corner in metal, try to do a 13MM radius instead of a sharp corner, it will remove the tear strength of those cuts!

Cheer and Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Boilo, I've brought all the aspects of the first and second build and combined them into this one. I'm happy with this one so far. Thanks for the advice too. I cut these with a 4 & 1/2 in. angle grinder, so it's harder to cut small details, but I'll keep that in mind if I have to cut anything else. I'm not as worried because the cuts didn't overlap, they met each other evenly, though still being a 90 degrees. Through testing I'll keep an eye on it.

RC Qualifier
    I did some more stuff to the truck today, I almost have it back together. I made some new mounts for the trailing arms out of steel square tubing. I saw that this was a week point on the V2 build, so these should be very strong.

Also drilled the holes for the steering rack. I had a Proline steering rack from an old slash so I though I might as well use it. Might end up going aluminum here, don't want to break this jumping and racing through bumps!

RC Champion
    Once again.... you are doing some fine fabrication...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Went to the lhs this morning to pick up the protrac front arms. With these, the front width will be back to normal.

I had to dremel the arm for the steering hub's clearance at full droop.

With the shocks mounted up.

Clearance with the wheels on (Almost 3 inches!)

This is looking so sick man I through the first one was sweet but this is in a different league.Keep up the awesomeness dude.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Some more updates today. Through previous testing, I've found that the combo of the VXL and the axial transmission has been the reason the truck was slow. The transmission was already geared down because it's made for rock crawlers, and the VXL simply couldn't handle 7+ pounds. It could move it around, but no where near as fast as I wanted. I had the opportunity to switch out my VXL for my dad's SCT pro, so I took it in a heartbeat. So now that I have the ideal system for my rig, I'm going to switch back to the stock Slash transmission. And to fit in the top plate, I had to move the motor plate back a little.

I've also decided not to mount the front flat. The steering links and the shocks both sat at weird angles. So to properly mount the angled front section, I made a new skid plate. It will attach to the bulkhead and then underneath on the chassis.

With this new change, I had to also move up the steering rack.

This little gap will be filled by the narrow section on the front of the chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Yesterday I built the side panels/mud guards, and with that, today I can finally go out and test the V3 build!

Here's the completed inside, still have to clean up the wiring a little.

RC Champion
    Did you make sure to lock the diff in the 2wd TRX transmission?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Did you make sure to lock the diff in the 2wd TRX transmission?
    I did remember to lock the diff, I used some JB putty. We'll see how it holds up.

RC Qualifier
    This is how it's sitting at the moment. Tried in the street yesterday and all I can say it wow. Overall handling improvement over the Slash chassis version. I'd say it's at least 1 & 1/2 pounds heavier than the completed V2. That extra weight really makes it feel grounded, and if you wanted to flip it over, it would be on purpose! The 2wd slash front section is much lighter, and with the protrac arms, it feels pretty rock-solid. The front skid plate idea worked perfectly and seems much stronger than just directly attaching the bulkhead. The locked transmission worked well and it's gear ratio is back were it needs to be. The Castle 3800kv is a beast too, the front popped up a couple times!

New air vent and handle:

All it needs now is a rollcage!

RC Qualifier
    That thing looks rad! Wonder how hot that motor will get pushing that armored beast around?!

RC Champion
    Is the battery located just in front of the shocks?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Banjoblue, it's coming together! Just from testing it in the yard, the motor works great! I was having some doubts at first but it moves pretty quick with the gearing I had, it surprisingly popped a couple wheelies! I have a mod1 spur and pinion in the mail so that should get it up to speed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Is the battery located just in front of the shocks?
    Yeah the battery tray sits about 1/2 an in. away from the shocks. The layout was starting to get a little crammed so I was happy everything fit on their without any rubbing or binding.

RC Champion
    What body are you planning to use on your fine creation, a new one or one of the previous ones?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    What body are you planning to use on your fine creation, a new one or one of the previous ones?
    Right now it's the same Chevy pro-2, I plan on getting a Chevy 1500 because it looks much more like BJ's truck. I got the Pro-2 originally because the local hobby shop had it and I didn't want to wait. On the new one I going to make sure it's flat black, and white instead of silver.

RC Qualifier
    I think you should contact this BJ dude and show him what you've done?!!! I'll bet he would pay you big $$ to build him one, especially if you send him a vid of it in action. Seriously.

RC Champion
    The Pro 2 body and paint look great but the 1500 body painted will give it that identical twin look!!!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    What's up dude can we see a sneek peak of your brothers trophy truck to? Maybe yours and his side by side!

RC Champion
    Video!!!????!!!!
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Haven't really done anything major, since the last update I've just added a couple panels. It's starting to really take shape, I just need to some how find or make a roll cage. But tonight I'm taking it apart to apply the carbon fiber wrap!

What his truck looks like under the body panels:

RC Champion
    Love it! Can't wait to see videos of the suspension in action.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Love it! Can't wait to see videos of the suspension in action.
    Yeah I'm excited to get some cool footage of it too!

Almost finished the breakdown, will update the thread in the morning.

RC Qualifier
    Wow! U need to mount a 1:10 scale 50 Cal. gun on that thing!

RC poster
    That things lookin sick, but what's up with that rear right wheel? Looks like an Losi Ten SCTE wheel painted green but silver in the middle?

RC Champion
    What is the weight of your build?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 20LSU View Post
    That things lookin sick, but what's up with that rear right wheel? Looks like an Losi Ten SCTE wheel painted green but silver in the middle?
    Thanks man. The wheels were originally silver and I tried to paint them black, but it's starting to peel off lol

RC Qualifier
    What is the weight of your build?
    I'm going to find a cheap scale because I'm very curious too. My current scale errors when I throw this thing on there...

RC Qualifier
    And here's the update I promised. The carbon fiber vinyl went on very well. I got it from a guy on Ebay and it was well worth the $9. I think it looks awesome, what do you guys think?

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130721224032...84.m1497.l2649

RC Champion
    Looks great!!!! Don't cry when you get it dirty......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Woah that looks amazing! So different from v1!

RC Champion
    How did you get the Ten-scte wheels on there? Looks great!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Ok, so I have been sitting back watching your updates and admiring your work. I have been wanting to say it but I am holding my tongue. You know what I want to see
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Qualifier
    Here's what I've done today, been with family for the last week. I've decided to change the location of the sway bars to in front of the shocks. That way, there will more leverage for them to actually work instead of being so stiff. On the real ones they're also in this spot so it made it an even better improvement.