Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    have you tried liquid mask before? I hate painting with tape, so time consuming for maknig designs. I had the glue left behind. looks like you have some paitence.

RC Qualifier
    Here it is! Still waiting on the rest of the stickers for the side and the top.

Custom RWD 1/10 BJ Baldwin Trophy Truck

That looks great! You are almost finished with the build! I still am waiting for a video of it being put through it's paces!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Champion
    Yeah dude this thing is just absolutely amazing. l really like it!
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates over the past month, been busy with school and sports, but those will both be over soon. What I've been doing so far has been a trial build, to see how things needed to work for when I do it for real. With that being said, I'm going to be making a V2 version with a new chassis and aluminum instead of steel for the plates. It will be a much cleaner looking build, and now that I've experimented, it will be right the first time. Since the aluminum won't rust, I plan on making this version waterproof.

This is finished chassis from build 1.

It's really ugly on the bottom.

This is with the new chassis, ready to be trimmed up.

Instead of the 8 holes that mounted the two different transmissions on the old one, this new chassis will one have one!

RC Qualifier
    Here were some pictures of the body with the new stickers before I took it apart.

RC Champion
    Any videos yet of your new build in action? How is it handling in off road stuff?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Really excellent and inspiring build well done - subbed

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Any videos yet of your new build in action? How is it handling in off road stuff?
    It drives great in loose dirt, exactly how I wanted it too. I don't have any good offroad footage yet.

But for now, how about some snap-shots from testing

Looks great! I am still waiting on that video! I would love to see that truck ran through its paces. Pictures are nice but you can't beat the real thing.

RC Champion
    Nice pictures......There is some serious wheel travel there.

Some slow motion video of the wheel travel over jumps and stutter sections would look sweet!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    That second picture is awesome! Looks so real with those bent a arms!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Looks great! I am still waiting on that video! I would love to see that truck ran through its paces. Pictures are nice but you can't beat the real thing.
    I know you guys really want a video, but I thought the pictures should hold till then. Now that I'm making a V2 build, I just have to order some aluminum to make new plates. Then I can put it all back together. I really want this thing perfect before I go out to shoot a video. I really don't want it breaking on me.

Nice pictures......There is some serious wheel travel there.

Some slow motion video of the wheel travel over jumps and stutter sections would look sweet!!!
    Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking forward to, going full speed through some whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    That second picture is awesome! Looks so real with those bent a arms!
    Yeah it really shows off the front travel, I think the bent arms are a nice touch.

Going from where I left off, I did alot to the V2 build today. Like I said, I wanted to make this one waterproof, so I got a used VXL system for $75. Everything fits on nice and clean, especially with the transmission mount. I attached the rear links and axle to show the layout before I cut the sides. I'm also going to start out with the RPM arms this time to see if there's any differences.

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-19-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Bent a-arms offer so much more travel than straight out ones, idk why traxxas didn't do that from the beginning, now they need bent aluminum a-arms for more travel on the rc trucks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushless boy View Post
    Bent a-arms offer so much more travel than straight out ones, idk why traxxas didn't do that from the beginning, now they need bent aluminum a-arms for more travel on the rc trucks
    I agree with you, but I noticed the bent arms only give you the ability to run longer shocks. This does mean more travel for the shock, but the physical ride height and travel of the arms/wheels will be the same. If you draw a straight line from the inner to the outer hinge pin on the bent arm, you will notice that line will be the same angle of a regular a-arm. And not having that 1cm of shock sit below that line should actually give the regular arm more travel.

RC Champion
    have to admit, I had my doubts at first but you really pulled that off!

NICE ingenuity!! Looks AWESOME!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    have to admit, I had my doubts at first but you really pulled that off!

NICE ingenuity!! Looks AWESOME!
    Thanks for the kind words man, means alot. This build hasn't been as easy as it looks in the pictures. Lots and long planning and testing to get it to this point. Can't wait to just be able to drive it and not have to worry about anything going wrong.

RC Champion
    Do you think the bent a arms have any advantage over the straight ones?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Originally I was planning to buy new pieces of sheet aluminum for the new plates. I did have some scrap pieces but they weren't tall enough to cut out the entire shape. So I just used those two pieces I already had and cut out the shapes without the tallest point. The new design has a cut-out for a battery tray that I will mount when it's together. To solve the mount issue, I just made two separate pieces to attach and then mount the shocks.

I used a bigger diameter and length screw for this new build because I wanted to make the rear frame stronger and wider. The original plastic tubing that I used for spacers was too small for the new screws. I noticed that the old center driveshaft was perfect to use as a spacer, so I cut that up into 3, 2.5" pieces. This is it compete, ohh is it nice!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Very cool thread. Sorry that the 4wd did not pan out 8(...
    What you are ending up with is truly exceptional in spite of that. Great work man.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    I had the rear end attached from last week, I just didn't update the thread. Today I made a new spare tire tray, the new one is much bigger like on BJ's truck. That bronze piece is a 50g weight to make to rear a little heavier and it will hide under the spare.

I give it to you, this second build looks a lot cleaner. I hope I didn't offend you when I said pictures are nice but cannot beat the real thing. I am just very excited to see your finished product in action. You should be extremely proud of what you have accomplished! This is a great build

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I give it to you, this second build looks a lot cleaner. I hope I didn't offend you when I said pictures are nice but cannot beat the real thing. I am just very excited to see your finished product in action. You should be extremely proud of what you have accomplished! This is a great build
    Thanks Sob. I understood what you meant by that. Out of everyone, I think you're the most excited to see it! I really can't keep you waiting anymore, I'll get something together

Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Thanks Sob. I understood what you meant by that. Out of everyone, I think you're the most excited to see it! I really can't keep you waiting anymore, I'll get something together
    I appreciate that! I really appreciate when someone thinks out of the box and creates somethingsomething completely different. You had an idea in your head of what you wanted to create and made it happen. I have the utmost respect for you! I ha e a great working knowledge of this truck but you have gone over and above!

RC Champion
    Is that solid axle and parts still available some where?
    I would have an interest I building one ... It has that real trophy truck look.
    Very, very good build!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome Build! I'm def with El Sob, really want to see this truck in action!

RC Qualifier
    Here's what you've been waiting for!

RC Competitor
    Ill give u $300. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Great job! Your built is awsome!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    You should think about patenting the rear of this chassis..Looks at the way the rear absorbs some nasty bumps..Great Build!!! I wanna see more video footage in real time instead of slow mo'
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Champion
    You did just fine my man.... Wheel travel etc looks like a real full size trophy truck... Even the lean over in the turns.... Sweet!

Once again.... Can those parts still be purchased? PM me if ya like... Thanks
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    You did just fine my man.... Wheel travel etc looks like a real full size trophy truck... Even the lean over in the turns.... Sweet!

Once again.... Can those parts still be purchased? PM me if ya like... Thanks
    Thanks man, I'm happy with the way it turned out. As for the parts, those can be purchased on RC4WD. You can buy the Hardcore solid axle and the metal trailing arms there. Their prices are a bit steep, but they are top quality.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Hardcore-Scal...rm_p_1093.html

http://store.rc4wd.com/Hardcore-Shor...ear_p_474.html
    Last edited by CyconXc; 05-25-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Dude the vid is sick and cant wait to see what the mark 2 will be like when its done ........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Here's what you've been waiting for!

You did the fool out of that! Man it was worth the wait! Looks extremely good, great job, you should be proud of your work!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYaStoleIT View Post
    You should think about patenting the rear of this chassis..Looks at the way the rear absorbs some nasty bumps..Great Build!!! I wanna see more video footage in real time instead of slow mo'
    Thanks, the other vids will definitely have real time footage. And jumps, there will be lots of jumps!

RC Qualifier
    I totally agree...this design should be used by traxxas! I think it would sell really well! I would buy one just because of how real it looks and acts...it's like the next generation of scale RC's. I never liked scale RC's because of how slow they are...but u created something that combined them both scale and normal RC! Nice job once again...and by the way I have that song
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Very, very nice!! Been lurkin' about, checking in on this thread every once in a while. I was doubtful at first, and for that I feel quite humbled. Great build. Perfect example of commitment! Looks GREAT. Very realistic video! Thanks for posting!

RC Racer
    Such a fantastic build! So much thought has gone into it and the result is brilliant. I've been slightly blown away watching the build and everything that has gone into it, and to see it in action, and handling so good, is awesome.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the link CyconXc
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I know the truck looks good in the video, but it doesn't truly handle like a trophy truck. Through more testing, it sometimes feels like it wants to tip, and it's hesitant to go into a drift at high speed, the exact opposite of what I want. I've found the main reason being it's not lcg. Compared to other trophy truck builds out there, only 1 other out of the 20+ I've seen use this chassis. The others use custom metal chassis.

So I'm going to try it out, and don't worry, I'll be using the same rear section. The only other thing I need is the front end of a slash or rustler, which I have in my spare parts bin. The Slash 2wd front end offers the ability to narrow the bulkhead and run wider protrac arms. That alone made me want to do it, plus the obvious performance gains. So I guess this is the official beginning of the V3 build. The new metal should be here tomorrow. Hopefully this will be the last

I was messing around with the bulkhead today and found that I would have to narrow it about 2cm for the right offset with the ProTrac arms. I can always order another one, so I did a test cut with it. Turned out a little sloppy, but it should work well after CA glued and the shock tower is attached. We'll see.