Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    My brother and I are actually having a trophy truck build-off, and he actually just finished up his a couple days ago. Unlike mine, he used the front from the HPI blitz, but the rest of the truck is a pretty standard design. We made a short video just to introduce it, check it out

Hey man, does your brother have any more vids? or a Youtube chanel?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Just curious what is your plan of attack? Being a tig welder I have never done any thing that small. Given the small diameter I don't see how running a bead could be possible except in SHORT runs maybe 2 or 3 dabs of filler before repositioning. I would guess mig wire for filler I have used .045 but sometimes hard to get and I would think it would be too big for tube joint of this size? If you use pulse what would you use for PPS? I have done pulse on small stuff .045 but nothing like this as far as small diameter tube. I can't wait to see the finished product.
    Well we have a Thermal Arc 95s TIG stick right now, but we're looking to upgrade it to handle these projects my brother and I are doing. I'm optimistic, but with a stick it'll be difficult. We haven't tried welding tubing yet with that one but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm glad I found someone with some experience. What do you think we should do?
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    I'm gonna guess he's gonna use a mig or braze it. I can see a tig causing more problems than necessary on this small of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    I guessed brazing...
    I never considered brazing but I'm going to look into it now. It looks pretty easy..
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroslashtt View Post
    Hey man, does your brother have any more vids? or a Youtube chanel?
    Yeah his channel is BashMasterx. I was thinking about uploading a couple of his old testing videos on my channel, but it makes since just to put them on his. Subscribe to him and you'll see when he puts it up!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Enthusiast
    I never considered brazing but I'm going to look into it now. It looks pretty easy..
    If you braze it, I suggest brazing rod with at least 15% silver and even better would be rod with 45% silver. I have done this numerous times and it is rather easy, you will need to get it hot though for the silver rod, use oxygen acetylene to burn not propane or mapp gas, it won't get hot enough

Btw, Awesome build man!!!
    Last edited by Smokedya2; 03-24-2014 at 12:27 PM.

RC Champion
    I would advise against brazing completely if you have the option. It cost a lot and is a pain to deal with.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokedya2 View Post
    If you braze it, I suggest brazing rod with at least 15% silver and even better would be rod with 45% silver. I have done this numerous times and it is rather easy, you will need to get it hot though for the silver rod, use oxygen acetylene to burn not propane or mapp gas, it won't get hot enough

Btw, Awesome build man!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    I would advise against brazing completely if you have the option. It cost a lot and is a pain to deal with.
    From a video it looked easy, but tubing would a whole nother story. I also looked at the prices and it's not cheapest option. I'll be sticking to welding for now.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Hey cyconxc, how well did the axial driveshaft work out for you? I think I remember you posted a picture and it was broken, but I just ordered some for my build because of the angle they can flex to
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Hey cyconxc, how well did the axial driveshaft work out for you? I think I remember you posted a picture and it was broken, but I just ordered some for my build because of the angle they can flex to
    They worked ok, but the screw that connects the two pieces kept coming loose. I also noticed that one of them ended up twisted, so the plastic they use for them is rather soft. But what kind of angle do you need them to go? My Traxxas heavy duty ones can flex pretty far.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier

XC's Custom Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build Thread

Well I'm using a wraith axle and a bunch of travel so the hd slash ones aren't long or flexible enough
    Last edited by seanycool; 03-26-2014 at 09:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    love that truck. awsome

RC Qualifier
    Well I'm using a wraith axle and a bunch of travel so the hd slash ones aren't long or flexible enough
    Oh ok I understand. I had to splice a couple HD ones together to get the right length. I wanted to make sure there was enough contact so I made them longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew123789 View Post
    love that truck. awsome
    Thanks Drew, hopefully the metal ones turns out just as good!
    Last edited by CyconXc; 03-26-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Enthusiast
    Hi cycon your build is completely awesome , once you get your instagram 😉 I have the same username as my traxxas username, come check out my own trophy ruck build!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy rc 3 View Post
    Hi cycon your build is completely awesome , once you get your instagram �� I have the same username as my traxxas username, come check out my own trophy ruck build!
    Alright man cool. I have one, just not for RC yet. I'll go check it out and let you know what I think!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a ton man!!!!! I have a tread now too off you want to follow that!

RC Racer
    I use mine for both rc and personal, but I hangout with my cars more than my friends haha
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Enthusiast
    I posted a ton of pics of your trophy truck cycon!

RC Qualifier
    I posted a ton of pics of your trophy truck cycon!
    Wow man it's a whole nother world over there! I've pretty much read most of your posts and I'm pretty impressed with what you have so far. Especially for your age, you're definitely ahead of many others I've seen. Thanks for the shout outs too. I just made my new instagram account so I'm gonna start to post pics on there.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a ton man!!! I've always looked up to your trophy truck build and to hear that from you is an honor I'll give you instagram Chanel shoutout to get you going if I have your name! Thanks again man!

And yeah it is a whole nother world but it's great! And yeah I've watched all your vids and liked them like twice but thanks man!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-30-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Wow man it's a whole nother world over there! I've pretty much read most of your posts and I'm pretty impressed with what you have so far. Especially for your age, you're definitely ahead of many others I've seen. Thanks for the shout outs too. I just made my new instagram account so I'm gonna start to post pics on there.
    What's your Instagram mines @graysondenny follow me I'll follow you back. Trophy where did you post some pics up.

RC Enthusiast
    Mines trophy rc 3 deal follow for follow I created my own thread called trophy rc 3 custom bryce Menzies rc trophy truck

RC Qualifier
    And yeah it is a whole nother world but it's great! And yeah I've watched all your vids and liked them like twice but thanks man!
    Yeah man there's lots of stuff going on there, and thanks for the shout again. I'm going to need a boost to get the page started.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    What's your Instagram mines @graysondenny follow me I'll follow you back. Trophy where did you post some pics up.
    Mines the same, cyconxc. I'll make sure to follow you too.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Well we have a Thermal Arc 95s TIG stick right now, but we're looking to upgrade it to handle these projects my brother and I are doing. I'm optimistic, but with a stick it'll be difficult. We haven't tried welding tubing yet with that one but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm glad I found someone with some experience. What do you think we should do?
    What is the wall thickness of the tubing you decided to use or if solid rod what is OD? It will help in determining best route. Also do you have a foot or hand control on the tig?

RC Enthusiast
    . My custom tire rack

RC Qualifier
    What is the wall thickness of the tubing you decided to use or if solid rod what is OD? It will help in determining best route. Also do you have a foot or hand control on the tig?
    I'm going to be using a mix of 1/4 in. and 3/16 in. chromoly, both with a .035 wall thickness. And our TIG has a hand control. I'm tempted to just order a couple of pieces just to test it out.

My custom tire rack
    Looks good!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Enthusiast
    You need to clear some personal message space is what it said so I can't send you anything. It said for you to receive my pm you needed to clear some space yes it would love to see it

RC Qualifier
    You need to clear some personal message space is what it said so I can't send you anything. It said for you to receive my pm you needed to clear some space yes it would love to see it
    Ok I just cleared it up a little. Try sending it now.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    You guys have seen me working on the NSP-1 project lately but that's not going to be drivable for while. So I decided I'm just going to get the old truck back together and start putting up some more videos! Ah yeah!

#customrctrophytruck

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet man more run vids yeah

RC Qualifier
    Nice!! Any new additions or just as is?

RC Qualifier
    Nice!! Any new additions or just as is?
    There's no major changes, all I'm going to do is put in the new servo I got. I might change the shock setup but that's about it.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Ok cool. Btw how were u able to make a second Instagram account? I want to make another for rc's but can't figure out how

RC Qualifier
    Ok cool. Btw how were u able to make a second Instagram account? I want to make another for rc's but can't figure out how
    I had to make a new email for it to work. It kept saying ''email is already in use" so I just made a new gmail, it took less than a minute.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    I'm going to be using a mix of 1/4 in. and 3/16 in. chromoly, both with a .035 wall thickness. And our TIG has a hand control. I'm tempted to just order a couple of pieces just to test it out.

Looks good!
    I don't have a good solution now. I have bulk brake line tubing at work same OD don't know about wall thickness at work should be close though. I will try to tig up some joints and get a base line for ya in the next couple days. I use a foot pedal only so I have no tips as far as torch controls.

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a good solution now. I have bulk brake line tubing at work same OD don't know about wall thickness at work should be close though. I will try to tig up some joints and get a base line for ya in the next couple days. I use a foot pedal only so I have no tips as far as torch controls.
    I really do appreciate your help. I'm sure what ever you come up with will be helpful for sure.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Found the 1/4 and 3/16 brake line today its .032 wall. Been slow so hopefully tomorrow I can tig up some joints and get you some data.

RC Qualifier
    Found the 1/4 and 3/16 brake line today its .032 wall. Been slow so hopefully tomorrow I can tig up some joints and get you some data.
    Ok man that sounds good, thanks for the help.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Got to burn some rod today. The 1/4 is easier than the 3/16 they both can be done. Fit up of the joint is critical NO GAPS. If you have a gap you are more likely to just melt the open end off the tube. I used .040 tungsten machine at 45 amps MAX and controlled with foot pedal. .045 70s2 was the smallest filler I had and it worked. .035 or .030 might work better. To get that small you might have to use mig welding wire.Best results get in and get out. Don't wait around when you light up the torch or its gonna overheat or melt the tube. Make sure and move around a lot to prevent overheating and or warping the tube basically tack a joint in a couple spots and move to another joint to keep from overheating. Before you waste a lot of CM tube on practice get some cheap brake line from the auto parts store. It will weld the same and make sure to clean joints to shiny metal before welding.

RC Champion
    I say you send all the kit tubing to Pro Mod Steve... Viola, done and done

RC Qualifier
    Got to burn some rod today. The 1/4 is easier than the 3/16 they both can be done. Fit up of the joint is critical NO GAPS. If you have a gap you are more likely to just melt the open end off the tube. I used .040 tungsten machine at 45 amps MAX and controlled with foot pedal. .045 70s2 was the smallest filler I had and it worked. .035 or .030 might work better. To get that small you might have to use mig welding wire.Best results get in and get out. Don't wait around when you light up the torch or its gonna overheat or melt the tube. Make sure and move around a lot to prevent overheating and or warping the tube basically tack a joint in a couple spots and move to another joint to keep from overheating. Before you waste a lot of CM tube on practice get some cheap brake line from the auto parts store. It will weld the same and make sure to clean joints to shiny metal before welding.
    Thanks man that's some great info there and it will help me with what I need to buy. From what I understood, do you think it's better just to get solid steel? Have you ever tried welding chromoly that small? Chromoly is gonna be lighter but I'm thinking it might be too hard to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    I say you send all the kit tubing to Pro Mod Steve... Viola, done and done
    Haha no kidding, Pro mod definitely sounds like he knows his stuff!
    #customrctrophytruck

Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast