Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    Now you have to make the body! Really cool build
    Thanks man, the body is going to be the hardest part. I should be ordering that and new tires soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rustler1999929 View Post
    that looks super cool, make a video and post it I want to see how this handles
    Once I get the body painted, the video will be coming up!

RC Qualifier
    Here's a better picture of the design I have to replicate. The black and the tribal designs will be easy, but it's the other small details I'm worrying about. I'm thinking of just using a stencil. This is his older body style, he kept the same design on his newer truck.

RC Qualifier
    it sounds like an amazing project! but the only pictures that are working are of the 1:1 scale truck
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    it sounds like an amazing project! but the only pictures that are working are of the 1:1 scale truck
    Hmm that's weird, they were uploaded through Imageshack. Maybe try a different browser? I use chrome.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    This is an epic build!

Just wondering, how did you match the gear ratio from ft to back? Can you change the rc4wd rear axle ratio to match the traxxas ft ratio? What exactly are the ft and back ratios???
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    This is an epic build!

Just wondering, how did you match the gear ratio from ft to back? Can you change the rc4wd rear axle ratio to match the traxxas ft ratio? What exactly are the ft and back ratios???
    I'm not sure why, but with the axle flipped both ways, the rear wheels will still turn forward. So I'm guessing it was specially made for the Traxxas diffs. When it's Rwd you don't have to worry about the front diff. I checked on their website and it says the hardcore axle's gear ratio was 2.93:1. Not sur what the Slash 4x4 front diff is.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I finally had some time to take it out and really test it yesterday. I've been driving it in my driveway, but I wanted to see how it performed offroad. My local park has a nice big sand/small gravel parking lot so I thought that would be a great place to try it out. It felt a little squirrely, but it was controllable. It definitely needs sway bars. And then I started to jump it a little. Not too high of jumps at all, actually landed them very well for not having any tuning.

Then this happened. 8lb Trophy Truck + soft plaster = broken parts. So I'm either going to have to buy the RC4WD arms, or try to make my own.

It also go pretty beat up visually. I was running it 4wd so some rocks shot right into the axle...

This was from one of the jumps.

This is what I've been waiting for! I am happy you got to run it! Just a few upgrades and you are there! I really want to see a video of it running! This is very exciting to watch your progress! !!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    This is what I've been waiting for! I am happy you got to run it! Just a few upgrades and you are there! I really want to see a video of it running! This is very exciting to watch your progress! !!
    Yah I'm almost there. Today I'm working on making my own trailing arms, I'll post up how it works out.

RC Qualifier
    Here is what I've been working on today. This is the idea I came up with to replace my plastic trailing arms. I got this squared steel tube from Home Depot for $5 that will be the base of the arm.

As for attaching links to each side, I placed a nut inside with the screw and braised it in place.

They are now also adjustable.

Then I can just open a slot through the top and drill a hole through all the way to attach the shock.

And here it is all done!

Had to add an inch spacer because the shock is no longer on the side of the arm.

RC Champion
    Wow this is an awesome build. Can't wait to see it finished.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    you are very creative- excellent job.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Qualifier
    What's happening now?!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to leave you guys hangin'!

Starting to realize that this thing really is HEAVY! I going to upgrade to a new motor, but until then, I'm starting to try and save weight. Sooo, I bought a stock 2wd Slash transmission case and dyed it black. Didn't get a chance to weight the Integy case, but the plastic one is much lighter.

Also added desperately needed rear sway bars. Really easy to make, just used the rear sway bar from the slash 4x4. Got a chance to drive it afterwards, made a huge difference. I can drift it around now without it leaning!

#customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Started to have a couple problems with the links I made. #1, the plastic tie-rod ends were starting to strip and slide off, and #2, the actual hex I welded inside bent. So the whole screw was slanted.

So on Monday I ordered the RC4WD trailing arms, and they got here today. I didn't want to have any other problems with the links, so I spent the extra money to get the metal ones. These things are very nice, can't wait to install them tomorrow.

And as you can see, they're really long!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Wow, those things look tough!
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    Since the new arms are so much longer, I had trouble figuring out how to mount them.

This side was easy without the receiver box

And on the other side, moving the bracket would make it hit the pinion.

Then it hit me, I could just mount them on the bottom! Since the Slash 4x4's chassis is so high anyway, putting them underneath would actually be better. But now with all this new travel, I have to figure out the shocks.

#customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Came up with a quick idea on how to make the shocks longer. The gunmetal piece is from a servo mount, which I used as a spacer to create more travel. These aren't permanent, I just want to be able to test out the new travel.

Stock rear shock on the top.

#customrctrophytruck

Wow you have been putting in work on that thing! I hope you are finished soon! I still want to see a video of it running!!!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Looking good. Have you thought about going with a cantilever setup and run Revo shock's in the rear. Could probably use there cantilever's from the Revo or even Summit. Not really the true Trophy truck look, but if it will enable you to get the suspension geometry correct, go for it. I'm sure whatever you deside will still be sweet.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Awsome build man I wanted to do something like that fr my stampede 4x4 but not to make it a bashed just a crawler
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Awsome build man I wanted to do something like that fr my stampede 4x4 but not to make it a bashed just a crawler
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    this is an awesome truck you have done a nice job with it but how well does it run with the 5700 thru the trans i would think it helps with gearing but also slow it down

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    this is an awesome truck you have done a nice job with it but how well does it run with the 5700 thru the trans i would think it helps with gearing but also slow it down
    Thanks, it actually runs pretty well with the 5700kv. From the gear ratio in the axial trans and the spur/pinion gearing, it actually slows it down considerably. Temps are good too, thought it would be overheating. But it's the only motor I have for it right now, I'm not sure if I want to make it water proof.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    UPDATE!!!

Did many things to the truck since the last post.

First off, since it is 2wd, I decided to take disconnect the front axles. After driving it I noticed it was much quicker, due to the lack of drag from the front diff. Now with a big gap above the a-arm, I decided I wanted to move the shocks into the center of the arm. It was really easy to do. You just have to drill a whole through the back of the a-arm for the screw, make a 1/4 in. spacer for the tie-rod, and attach the shock to back of the shock tower. Looks alot more scale!

#customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    I ditched the old sway bars and made me some new ones. Just ran a metal pole through both plates which would attach to the swing arms. Originally I was going to use a set screw, but I ended up just welding them together.

Before the truck would lean ALOT, and with these, I can actually drift it around!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    And last of the updates was the rear tire mount. I wanted to make something that was similar to what's on BJ's truck.

Started out by making it out of paper.

Then got it to the shape I wanted.

Cut out a slot for the bigger tires.

Finished product:
    Last edited by CyconXc; 04-09-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Racer
    Wow! It's coming out great! Keep up the good work

It looks to cool for school dude .......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    You got some time on your hands bro.. But it is well worth the I'm sure hours spent.. SICK (two thumbs up)
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Champion
    Months in the making and nice to see it come to fruition. I have followed this since it's onset and amazed at the amount of effort that has gone into this build....... to you....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySSG View Post
    You got some time on your hands bro.. But it is well worth the I'm sure hours spent.. SICK (two thumbs up)
    Thanks, spent alot of time working on this over the weekends!

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Months in the making and nice to see it come to fruition. I have followed this since it's onset and amazed at the amount of effort that has gone into this build....... to you....
    Yah it's come a long way. Testing has brought about issues I need to fix. I don't want to release a running video until it's 100% ready. It'll be there soon!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-11-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: merge
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    It does seem to be in need of some refinements but from what I've seen thus far.... You will prevail.....

If it was easy, we would all be doing it... Right!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Made some travel limiters out of some shoe string. I'm going to figure out a better way to attach them, but for now I just double-knotted them.

#customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Another scale feature I was going add was his bent front a-arms. The real purpose of these is so you can run longer shocks in the front without raising the ride height. My front end didn't really need longer shocks, so mine are just for looks

Did this by heating the arm with a blow torch, then slowly bent it to the angle I wanted. The right arm was playing hard to bend, so I had to heat it up a little extra...

How it was before:

New bent arm:

Final product!
    #customrctrophytruck

This build keeps getting more sick by the week dude keep up the awesome work man.......peace

RC Enthusiast
    omg this is the coolest thing i have ever seen!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    This build keeps getting more sick by the week dude keep up the awesome work man.......peace
    Thanks alot man, I will!

Quote Originally Posted by bmxdude97 View Post
    omg this is the coolest thing i have ever seen!!!
    Thanks bmx, can't wait to finish it! E-savage shocks should be here Wendseday
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-16-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: merge
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Sneak peak of the body!
    #customrctrophytruck

I did not know to much on bj but i have seen the latest vid on youtube and the guy is mental so i can see why you are putting so much love into this truck man......peace