RC Qualifier

Shock upgrade help.

I just bought a rally and started a thread. I really have not been getting much feedback in my thread (hope that changes soon). Well anyway I want to upgrade my shocks. I was thinking of replacing the stockers with losi ten-t/scte shocks. Question about those is do I just buy 1 pair of front and 1 pair of rear or do I need to get 2 sets of front or 2 sets of rear due to size difference? The other option was the traxxas gtr shocks. And last but not least the one I would really like to do is the hot bodies d8 shocks on my rally. I know people did the conversion on the slash 4x4 but was not sure if it would work the same on the lcg chassis that the rally has. Thanks for any help.

RC Champion
    I know a forum member named Diggerpede run's the Losi ten T shock. Raving review's about them. They are very good quality and not to expensive.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I do run both the Losi Ten-T's and the Traxxas GTR's. They are both very comparable to each other in performance & cost. I'm running F/R on both. The good thing about the GTR's is they come with TiNi shafts. So I call that a plus.

The one thing I noticed when running both shocks where I have them set on the arms (stock position) the springs rub on the rod ends. I might push both mounting locations out 1 more and see if that solves the issue. Its not much but it does touch it by a hair. I even spaced the mounts out with a washer and it does help a little.

I run stock 30wt oil in both shocks (Ten-T & GTRs) with their stock springs and with my car being a little big heavier seems to be doing really good. When I have some free time I want to work with the GTR's and play around with the springs and maybe the oils. I'm confident in my current setup with them though.

They are both worth the money. If you'd like to build your own. I'd suggest using STRC bodies and Ten-T shock parts. Check my Slash 4x4 thread.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Hope this helps ya.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone have any info on the hot bodies d8 shock conversion?

RC Champion
    Digger would one of those people
    Everything overpowered...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    D8's are an awesome shock, large and handle some big hits with ease. Its at the point of overkill though.....imo. I run losi ten-t shocks on a few trucks,, some of them need the oversized dampening to handle the hits but as for the rally, it just doesn't take those kind of hits or jumps. I am also thinking of cost vs effect lol. If I was building an all out rally with out any budget, I wouldn't choose D8 shocks, it would be losi or gtr. Those of us that run D8's with success are all racers or very heavy bashers and it takes a heavy built truck to bring them to life properly. You can get all the action and response you'll ever need from the smaller shocks on a rally, and most of us don't send it 8' up.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks dread. So if you say skip the d8's. Sounds like you prefer the losi over the gtr traxxas shocks? Have you used all three? If I decide to go with the losi shocks will I need a set of front and rear? Or 2 of one or the other? Also is there any other parts needed to fit them to the rally or will they drop right in with no adjustment? Gtr's I assume drop right in. I have proline power strokes on my slash 4x4. I could just get another set of those. I like them I was just thinking of trying something different. I'm just hoping to get the best performing shocks while also adding a little bling.
    Last edited by CoreyM; 02-16-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Because I can

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I've had D8, I use losi, trx big bires, trx stockers, trx stockers with alloy caps and tin shafts (just as good as big bores in my opinion!) I haven't used trx gtr's yet but will next. If you get losi, get front and rears + mounting hardware and they drop right in. If it were me I would go gtr because I trust trx upgrades and already have many sets of losi tens. Diggers loving them, says they are comparable to losi, that works for me lol. I only down the D8 in this application because its a huge shock, very unnecessary and will be a fight to balance out your suspension. After you run losi or gtr shocks, or even D8, you will realize just how overpriced Proline's are for what you get. The ride through rough on these giant bores with light wt. oils will simply blow you away. Im sure Proline's are great but your doing the right thing by trying something new.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    wont the xo1 shocks work also?
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restlessrustler View Post
    wont the xo1 shocks work also?
    it will work but it going to set low, lower than the stock suspensions.
    humay has left the building, peace.