RC poster

New to the hobby, Need help with Slash 4x4

A buddy of mine just bought a Slash 4x4 and built a track in his backyard... So being the competitive friend I am, I went and bought the same one so there can't be any excuses when I smoke him on his own track lol.

What are the mandatory upgrades for these trucks? Like what setups to go with for short tracks. I am new to the hobby so really don't know much.

RC Qualifier
    There aren't mandatory upgrades and don't let anyone make you believe otherwise. Suspension settings will come to you with some experience and kinda hard to tell you what you need in that department as a suspension setup depends on your track conditions and layout. Just use the truck as is, learn as much as you can by reading in these friendly forums and soon you'll be on your way to mastering your truck. The only thing that may give you a slight edge out the box is using a 2s lipo battery if he uses a nimh battery. Since your new I would stay away from a 3s lipo for now, truck requires more attention with a 3s lipo.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Champion
    Not a racer here but if you use the search function there is a TON of info and friendly people here to help. Check out the slayden set up sticky and WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION. To quote El Sob "we are here to help."

RC poster
    as far as the track, it is a pretty short with sharp turns and loose dirt. The main reason I ask is I am the kind of guy that is going to want to modify it heavily so I figured there would certain modifications that all racers do.

I will check out the slayden set up. Thanks for the quick replies

RC Qualifier
    Out the box the Slash is a lot more "Ready to Race" than some of the other platforms. For what you are planning to do it would probably be more beneficial to "tweak" settings (shock positions & oil wt, turnbuckle positions, diff oil etc.) to start with rather than upgrade.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Qualifier
    Good tires will probably be your first best improvement.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierravmax View Post
    Good tires will probably be your first best improvement.
    I agree with this.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC poster
    What would you say is a good all around dirt tire?

RC Champion
    +1 on tires. Do some good research on short course tires. There's lots of info that will help you pick based on the terrain. Tires for dirt tracks with loose dirt on top are very different from those made for tracks without loose dirt.

Heavy sway bars are very helpful on this truck too. 20 bucks well spent.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstarSlasher View Post
    as far as the track, it is a pretty short with sharp turns and loose dirt. The main reason I ask is I am the kind of guy that is going to want to modify it heavily so I figured there would certain modifications that all racers do.
    First thing may be to gear low. If you cannot hit top speed then it's power wasted. Stock gearing is 13t pinion, 54t spur. Try a 10 or 11 tooth pinion. This will also help keep temps low. After you are used to this, maybe try a 3s lipo.
    Last edited by briandee; 02-19-2013 at 10:48 PM.

RC Racer
    Loose dirt= pro-line trenchers

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowdx1 View Post
    Loose dirt= pro-line trenchers
    I agree with Slowdx1, the proline trenches are the best for bashing or racing on loose dirt but not so much on a well maintained dirt track. I have a set on mine and they have killer grip on loose dirt and for mudding lol

RC poster
    How are the Pro-Line Gladiators?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstarSlasher View Post
    How are the Pro-Line Gladiators?
    If the track is has no grass, and some loose dirt on top, then gladiators will work very well. Get a soft compound, and don't run them on the street.

Before you guys run, perhaps give the track a light spray with water.

RC Champion
    I run the Gladiator's in M2 compound, they are a sweet tire. Tread design change's with wear which give's full lug's always. As posted above they do wear quick on the street.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Upgrade your Rig as you break parts. Its a great way to learn all about your Rig. Also right down notes
    when you run into a problem and when you solve it. Don't hesitate to ask anyone here for help. Tires are
    A great upgrade. one thing I love about the Slash 4x4 is that just by changing out the tires to suit your
    Terrain it also changes the Vehicle's style from offroad to onroad. Its like having four vehicles in one truck.
    Also stick with the 2s for now and gear properly. 3s are great but you will break a lot of parts fast and since your
    New to the RC Life you will have a lot of down time trying to figure out why your Rig is not running right when
    Something wears down or breaks.. Enjoy your Rig and Welcome to the Family..
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC poster
    I ended up getting the Jconcepts Goose Bumps, sway bar set and a center diff.

RC poster
    tires and get u the losi springs 3.7 and 4.1 . ive done a few upgrades but those 2 were the best and made it a better truck. just mess with the setup and tune it to ur liking. u can set make a big diff in how the truck drives with just the settings .

RC poster
    can you link me to those springs please?