RC Enthusiast

MERV suspension gold - thanks to varunaX!

If you haven't read varunaX's "how-to" suspension setup, you need to do yourself a favour and check it out here: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ips-and-tricks

Backstory: I bought the brushed MERV, and then upgraded it to brushless with the vxl3m and 380 Velineon motor. After upgrading, I could barely turn on pavement without sending my MERV cartwheeling far and away, and this was with nihm batteries! Even at moderate speeds, the MERV would three-wheel through corners.

Fast forward: I followed varunaX's guide to order about $7 worth of stuff off flea-bay. Using the stock shock bodies and pistons, I replaced the stock "oil" with 80wt Losi silicon shock oil. I pulled the black springs from the back and put them on the front. I then put blue summit springs on the back. I then adjusted all four corners so that the driveshafts were just above horizontal after recovery.

Wow, what a difference.

I just got back in from my first runs after upgrading the springs + shock oil. It was very cold out (about -10 C), but dry. All runs were on pavement.

It was impossible to flip or cartwheel the MERV.

I can't believe that $7 worth of springs and shock oil can make a world of difference. I could plow my MERV into turns at full throttle, and it would just stay flat. In the past the MERV would lift the inner rear tire like a dog taking a pee at even moderate speeds. Not anymore - it feels like I'm driving a totally different truck. I can only imagine what it would be like doing the rest of the recommended mods like putting in rocker bearings and better shock bodies & pistons.

If anyone is having trouble keeping their MERV shiny-side-up like I was, I really think its worth a couple of bucks an and hour of your time to try out this mod.

Here are a couple of closeups of the shocks and pre-tensions.
    Black MERV springs up front:

Blue Summit springs in back:

RC Competitor
    whenever i do a turn at high speeds the car usually flips although it depends on how i throttle too

but it occasionally does the pee thing u mentioned so sounds pretty great

RC Racer
    reviving an old thread ... but in this case I dont mind.

I love suspension tuning. thing about this truck is that it can do a lot of things fairly well. it can bash on or off road, it can jump, and it can race around a track - to an extent. right now I have my truck setup for a decent compromise between pavement and track, only changing tires and 3s to 2s in the process. swapping shocks takes a bit longer than I would like but would ultimately be the next best thing to change. right now I'm on blues/80w front, purples/100w rear.

basically an on road setup means more spring than tire. in other words a very stiff spring that will make the tires skid before it wants to lift the inner rear wheel.
    MERV - 3S 23/50
    Revo 3.3 - stock

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the shout out buddy. i too am still pretty pretty much using the same setup as you described. save up for those GTR traxxas shocks as well. over a year and i havnt needed to touch them, zero leakage.

RC Competitor
    Just screenshotted this post and I am going to try it! I drive my revo on pavement a lot and it loves to cartwheel and tumble when I take sharp turns! Thanks for the tips!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm definitely going to do this. I am just about to place my order for the springs and oil but could you provide more info on the following please?
    I then adjusted all four corners so that the driveshafts were just above horizontal after recovery.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwiggie View Post
    I'm definitely going to do this. I am just about to place my order for the springs and oil but could you provide more info on the following please?
    I then adjusted all four corners so that the driveshafts were just above horizontal after recovery.
    Sure: I test the shock setup by pushing down on the chassis - bottoming it out - and then letting it rebound on its own. I then look at the driveshafts. Each drive shaft should be slightly higher at the chassis, and slightly lower at the wheel. If this is not the case, I adjust that shocks adjustment ring and retest: push down on the chassis and let it rebound. Repeat until its right.

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh... Thanks very much. Gonna do this at the weekend. Ordered my bits the other day.

RC Enthusiast
    I have done everything suggested apart from put the blue summit spring in the back. Having a terrible time getting them here in the UK. Been on back order with my hobby shop since beginning of may. I can only get them from abroad on eBay but I will end up paying about 8 just for a set of springs. Have these been discontinued or something, or are traxxas super slow at manufacturing parts like this?
    I really want my blue springs to give it a go

RC Racer
    I am using the same spring setup - black in front and blue at the back with 80wt oil all around. For me it works as a best compromise for different terrains and driving /fun types - asphalt runs, grass, dirt, even jumps! I am only finetuning pretension. Stock shocks so far and yes - they do leak ...