RC Competitor

What Lipo can is use?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm very new to the hobby. I upgraded my Slash to the Velineon 3500 setup and I am very happy with it. I am currently running 2s 5000 mah 20C Lipos along with my 7 cell the truck came with. I don't want to go 3s. What would be a good size battery to run to increase my run times? Also, can I use a Lipo rated higher than 20C? I'm just not sure what I can run or what would be best for the setup I have. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would use a battery with a 30c rating encase you want to go bigger in the future.imo I would run at least a 25c 2s but the velineon is a well balanced system,I have three and love them.And your 20c 2s should be fine.
    Make sure you have a lipo balancing charger!
    The esc will only give the motor what it wants,but even the cc3800's I use run fine on 35c thunder power lipos,but much better on 65c 2s,but that's even a bit over kill for that motor,but the battery never gets warm.
    Again,and you will hear this a lot,get a lipo balancing charger.
    Oh 5000mah is also a good number for your system.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I have the Thunder A6 charger and I am happy with it. So would a lipo with a higher discharge rating, say 35C, give me a shorter runtime then I currently get with my 20C lipo? I was looking at the Traxxas 5800 25C as I thought that might give me a longer runtime, but is my thinking correct? Again, thanks for your help.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwenter View Post
    So would a lipo with a higher discharge rating, say 35C, give me a shorter runtime then I currently get with my 20C lipo?
    Discharge rating has nothing to do with run time; the higher the mah, the longer your run time.

Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

No, a lipo with a higher mah number will decide your run time.
    A 30c 2s 5000mah will run twice as long as a 2500mah 2s 30c.
    Think of the MAH # as a gas tank,the more mah's,the more run time.
    And the 5800mah will give you more run time then the 5000mah.
    The 35c might give your motor a little more punch,as it has more power to give,if the motor needs it.
    But the velineon isn't an amp hog,35c 2s thunder power is basically all I use in my velineon's
    Thanks. I have the Thunder A6 charger and I am happy with it. So would a lipo with a higher discharge rating, say 35C, give me a shorter runtime then I currently get with my 20C lipo? I was looking at the Traxxas 5800 25C as I thought that might give me a longer runtime, but is my thinking correct? Again, thanks for your help.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    But the velineon isn't an amp hog,35c 2s thunder power is basically all I use in my velineon's
    +1 this ^^^ I use 2S 25C in mine, and that's plenty for my taste!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Also, you can't just go by C rating. Saying to get a 20C, 30C, or 40C pack means absolutely nothing by itself. You need to factor in the mah with the C rating to know the ability of a pack.

Well Boss,if your going to tell him that ,explain why if the mah# is to small,theirs not enough gas in the tank to deliver the continues c rating,im puting in a bell crank.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Also, you can't just go by C rating. Saying to get a 20C, 30C, or 40C pack means absolutely nothing by itself. You need to factor in the mah with the C rating to know the ability of a pack.

RC Competitor
    Thanks. A lot of this info has been very helpful.

Well Boss,if your going to tell him that ,explain why if the mah# is to small,theirs not enough gas in the tank to deliver the continues c rating,im puting in a bell crank.
    Yeah, that probably would have been nice.

Basically, you multiply the mah by the C rating to determine the amount of amps a pack can safely supply.

So a pack rated at 30C, but only 2,000mah wouldn't be able to supply the amps that a 5,000mah pack that's 20C.

30x2=60 amps

20x5=100 amps

My explanation probably isn't the best.

Bell crank all done.
    For a stock velineon system,I wouldn't go under 4200mah at 25c,and you will be fine,5000mah would be better,but are you getting the idea?
    Like I said,my favorite velineon system battery is a, 2s 35c 5400mah thunder power,that's 189 amp battery,more than enough for your system.I just like thunder power lipos,that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the others.

RC Qualifier
    Get a 2s 6500mah 50c Lipo hahahah

I run a 2s 6500mah 65c with my cc 3800's.
    It's like putting a singe stage nitrous system on it.lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

My next battery purchase will be some SPC 2S 6500 50C packs. I'm currently using the 5400 50C and it's amazing.

Just waiting for Spring to roll around before I order.

Wait a minute. Scratch that. I'm gonna get the SPC 6500 65C packs.

422 amps can cover the field pretty well,in my cc3800's it doesn't even get warm..I should probably discharge it,I charged it for a run,and never made it,about a month or so ago,I'm sure it's fine,If I left it low I would be concerned,whops better watch what I say or will get locked again.
    My next battery purchase will be some SPC 2S 6500 50C packs. I'm currently using the 5400 50C and it's amazing.

Just waiting for Spring to roll around before I order.

Wait a minute. Scratch that. I'm gonna get the SPC 6500 65C packs.

422 amps can cover the field pretty well,in my cc3800's it doesn't even get warm..I should probably discharge it,I charged it for a run,and never made it,about a month or so ago,I'm sure it's fine,If I left it low I would be concerned,whops better watch what I say or will get locked again.
    Yeah, you might want to discharge it down to storage level. A friend of mine who used to race with me for awhile had a TP 5000 40C that he left charged and quit racing. It was probably close to a year later, but the cases split while sitting dormant.

Nothing to do with it being a TP pack though. It can and likely will happen to any of them. Then again, the race director at my local track claims he always stores his pack at full capacity. However, he races pretty much every weekend, sometimes more than once a weekend, so I doubt he will have any issues in that amount of time. I always discharge mine to 3.7 just to be safe and in case something comes up and I don't get a chance to run in the following week.

Actually the pack I left full was a 6500mah 65c 2s Reedy
    $115 battery.But just like today I take it out and set my servo,and run up the motor a few times.so it is getting some use,so that should help a bit. the other is my 3s,I charged it Thanks giving ,then we had to eat and never used it,but that's only three month as well,and again,if i need to test something I will use one of them ,so they get some use.
    Yeah, you might want to discharge it down to storage level. A friend of mine who used to race with me for awhile had a TP 5000 40C that he left charged and quit racing. It was probably close to a year later, but the cases split while sitting dormant.

Nothing to do with it being a TP pack though. It can and likely will happen to any of them. Then again, the race director at my local track claims he always stores his pack at full capacity. However, he races pretty much every weekend, sometimes more than once a weekend, so I doubt he will have any issues in that amount of time. I always discharge mine to 3.7 just to be safe and in case something comes up and I don't get a chance to run in the following week.

RC Champion
    I run SPC 2S 8200mAh 50C batteries.
    they are only $45.95 + shipping.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    I got that SPC 2s 6500mah 50c and that thing will run forever hahahaha. Ran it yesterday and I was surprised the LVD 3.5v didn't sound. When I hooked it up on the charger it still showed 3.85 charge hahahah

RC Qualifier
    But going from the team Orion 2s 4000mah 30c to the 2s 6500 50c much diff in power I dunno :-/ maybe after a couple break ins on the new SPC

That 6500mah at 50c should run close to an hour
    But going from the team Orion 2s 4000mah 30c to the 2s 6500 50c much diff in power I dunno :-/ maybe after a couple break ins on the new SPC

RC Qualifier
    That 6500mah at 50c should run close to an hour
    Ya Billy it ran forever hahah

RC Competitor
    I just ordered the SPC 6500 55c so judging by this thread I should be happy. $57 shipped so you can't beat the price. Thanks a lot for all the info.

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered the SPC 6500 55c so judging by this thread I should be happy. $57 shipped so you can't beat the price. Thanks a lot for all the info.
    U will be pleased my friend.

RC poster
    hey yall im thinking about buying a 2wd vxl slash, i want some serious power, but i dont want to over heat nothing or burn nothing up, ive ordered the fan for the esc, but i was looking at a 3c 8400mAh 11.1v lipo, is that too much>? please help me! keep in mind I WANT SERIOUS POWER..thanks yall

Chances are you run a velineon on 3s with a 8400mah battery,the motor will over heat and fry,or you'll break something before it goes dead.
    Those size battery's are more for planes.
    And If your just buying a 2wd slash,I hope you like going in circles,cause that's about all you'll be doing.
    You better go 2s until you drive a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-bo85 View Post
    hey yall im thinking about buying a 2wd vxl slash, i want some serious power, but i dont want to over heat nothing or burn nothing up, ive ordered the fan for the esc, but i was looking at a 3c 8400mAh 11.1v lipo, is that too much>? please help me! keep in mind I WANT SERIOUS POWER..thanks yall

RC Qualifier
    yup after learning more about lipos w/ the help from billy as well, on 2cell lipo I wouldn't go anything over 6500mah, for a 3cell I'd probably stick w/ 4000-5000mah tops

RC Racer
    Billy and xrated uh I ordered a 3s lipo 4100 35 or 40c punch will that be ok?

I have,out of 24 lipos,one 3s,It's a 4200mah 30c,I use it to find weak spots in the drive drains.
    Imo,3s is over powering the slash,any real track wont let you run 3s.Because there to much to control in a sct not to mention heat issues
    If you have the right motor,and set up, 3s up to 6s +,all have a place,Just IMO,I don't think the slash is it.
    It's up to you,watch your temp,stock up on tires,get through your go fast stage,then get a good 2s,and have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback fan View Post

RC Racer
    Your not going to have to worry about punch using 3s. I run a 3s 5400mah 20c in my rustler and its crazy. Easing into the throttle frm half throttle to 3/4 it'll ride a 40mph wheelie on its way to the near 60mph top speed. Its a handfull to say the least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

I must admit that is fun,I use a 2s 6500mah 65c,but with 32p gears, 15 to 56.
    From about a twenty mph roll,with a cc 3800,This one will lift the front about 3 inches,and hold it till it's top speed of approximately 40mph.With no wheelie bar.[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    I have the spc 2s 6500 65c lipos and they are great. I am geared low as I run in a lot of sand, rock and loamy dirt. I run for quite awhile never really timed it. I have the velinion system and I know its probably a little overkill but the price was right and the 50c lipos were out of stock.

I have a friend that has the 10000 mah traxxas soft case. Don't get it. It runs forever but the size, weight and the soft case scare the heck out of me. (no offense to traxxas corporate and its intermediaries you guys make great stuff its the soft case that gets me.)

With lipos I feel hard case is the way to go. I have 1 soft case and every time I charge it or use it it just feels weak and I always concerned about whether or not its in good condition.
    Last edited by Next perce; 03-05-2013 at 08:56 AM.

I'm the same way,my one 3s is my only soft pack,and my last.
    Soft pack that is,I'm sure I'll get another 3s one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    I have the spc 2s 6500 65c lipos and they are great. I am geared low as I run in a lot of sand, rock and loamy dirt. I run for quite awhile never really timed it. I have the velinion system and I know its probably a little overkill but the price was right and the 50c lipos were out of stock.

I have a friend that has the 10000 mah traxxas soft case. Don't get it. It runs forever but the size weight and the soft case scare the heck out of me.

With lipos I feel hard case is the way to go. I have 1 soft case and every time I charge it or use it it just feels weak and I always concerned about whether or not its in good condition.

RC Qualifier
    i thoroughly enjoyed this thread, thank you all for ur great input.

RC Qualifier
    yup for now I only have one 5000mah 25c 2s, 4000mah 25c 2s, and my stock nimh, but on thurs. I'll be ordering 4 new lipos, 2 spc and 2 smc for my new build but I'll def. be putting them to use in my slash as well probably going to gget three 2s lipos range from 50-60c and possible one 3s not sure yet we'll see

RC Qualifier
    you'll be fine w/ that but you're really going to have to watch your temps, also be easy on that throttle haha 2s and 3s is night and day difference

RC poster
    thanks yall, im just gonna stick no higher than 5000mah for a 3s, pics coming soon
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    yup after learning more about lipos w/ the help from billy as well, on 2cell lipo I wouldn't go anything over 6500mah, for a 3cell I'd probably stick w/ 4000-5000mah tops

RC poster
    oh another quick question is what millimeter is the vxl motors diameter?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by J-bo85 View Post
    oh another quick question is what millimeter is the vxl motors diameter?
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../trac3349.html