Thread: Summit Bath

RC Qualifier

Summit Bath

So I have heard and seen people take there Summits into the shower after they are done driving it through the snow. I was wondering if I should do it, then after it sits infront of a heater to lube it. Is there different ways and what is the chance of the water wrecking the Summit?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I used to "bath" my Summit after I went through mud, or somthing dirty. It made it really clean. But, after about a week of that, (that's when It was brand new) I took it apart to lube the diffs and transmission. I DID NOT like what I found. Every bearing was rusty, 8 of them seized up, and the diffs and transmission each was FULL of water. It took forever to get everything just back to normal. I then filled every bearing and moving part with marine grease. After that, I don't soak my Summit anymore. I still run in water, snow and all that's wet. I tore down my Summit down again two weeks ago, and NOTHING was even slightly rusted! In the end, I don't think it's best to completly soak your Summit. Hope this helps!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I am hopefully just going to melt the snow away with a heater, but I don't know if it will work. Should probably tear my diffs, tranny, and everything apart one of these weekends too because i haven't taken it apart since I got it a month ago.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    I always shower mine off after a snow run or mud. I use strait hot water and turn it upside down in the tub for a few hours to drain then put it over a heater vent for a while. Iv had the tranny and everything apart and had no rust or water in tranny. After its dry I also give every bearing and moving part a few drops of 3in1 oil. I only have a few screws with rust and those are the ones that I did not oil

RC Qualifier
    I also hear a grinding in the back diff of my Summit, so what does that mean??? I havent taken anything apart apart since I bought it, so I think it is either dirt or a broken diff. Which one would it be?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Only way to tell take it apart.

RC Qualifier
    OK. I am a little worried about taking it apart, cause usually it will cost me more money buying parts, oils, etc. Next week after I run it in the snow though, I will take everything off of it. I have never taken diffs or a tranny apart either so I hope it gets put back together right. I will post pictures of running in the snow tonight though.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    If you don't find out what the noise is and continue running it you may do more damage. If you have broken gears they could bind up and take out the hole diff, drive shaft, tranny. Best to tear it down now. Better off to cost a little money now or possibly more next week

RC Qualifier
    So running it in the snow Sunday and then tearing it apart would be a bad idea? Nevermind cause I found out what it was. When I oiled the Stub Axle Carriers, there was dirt in them so it is making the grinding sound. I feel stupid now! I will just clean them out before I run them.
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 02-16-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Hehe. Been their done that

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I then filled every bearing and moving part with marine grease. After that, I don't soak my Summit anymore. I still run in water, snow and all that's wet. I tore down my Summit down again two weeks ago, and NOTHING was even slightly rusted!
    I proved the bearing idea. Stripped my summit down and pulled all the bearings out. Popped the rubber seals off and cleaned them out then packed them with some waterproof grease. The next run was at the beach and they did get a bit of salt water on them. My bro took his p2de as well and it was first priority to be cleaned coz it is small. my summit sat for like 2wks being only washed down with fresh water and none of my bearings seized up.
    Just thought i would share that because if you (Jacob) are going to strip your summit down it wouldn't be bad re filling the bearings with grease.
    Look here: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-edition/page4 if you want to know how to remove seals off the bearings. Post #133

Back to the question IMO i wouldn't bath it. Mine gets pulled apart completely every 2months or so, Depending what i run it through. Thats how i clean mine.
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 02-16-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    Summit; Spartan; Others yet to come

RC Competitor
    Mine gets a quick shower (lower pressure in the utility sink), then I'll wipe it down as best as possible with some towels, then sits in front of my space heater with a fan blowing on it for a few hours. I only have a few screws that show signs of rust. I wouldn't clean it as often in the spring/summer/fall (usually just gets an air compressor treatment) but with the amount of salt they put on the roads out here in PA, I try to remove as much as possible.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL