Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Rustler caster mod on a Jato (Better Pics)

I did this mod about a year or so ago and took all the pictures with my cell phone and the pics were horrible! Here is an updated version of it and I can say that I have been running this mod for a while and have no complaints. It works awesome and wheels and tire choices are awesome! I am currently running the Proline Titus beadlocks (p/n-2713-1x) with Dirt Hawg tires (p/n-1071-00) or as a combo (p/n-1071-13) but I haven't really ran them yet as I am still in the break in stage of my new TRX 3.3.

Here is the shopping list-

RPM Electric Rustler Caster Blocks 30 Degree p/n 80712

RPM Electric Rustler Front Bearing Carriers p/n 80372

Traxxas Suspensionn Pins 2.5x31.5mm w/ e-clips p/n 3740

Traxxas Electric Rustler Front Axels p/n 3637

Traxxas Hexes and Axel Pins p/n 3654

5x11x4mm Bearings

Ok now with the mod!
    Here is the before picture with the stock setup-

Pic with replaced parts removed-

Difference between the two spindles-

Drilling out the bottom of the new caster (where a-arm connects) with a 1/8" drill bit-

Installation pics-

Finished product-

T-Maxx was my gateway drug now I am a Jato addict.

RC Racer
    that looks pretty sweet, are those bead lock tires

RC Racer
    Thanks! And yes they are beadlock wheels. The p/n's are in the post.

I am pretty sure some company makes a hex around the bearing, would save a lot of trouble. Also note your now single sheer, so be careful when running it around.
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    Single sheer? Haven't had any trouble so far and I have jumped and hit curbs with no damage. I would be interested in seeing the hex around the bearing tho as I haven't ever heard of it. Not saying you are wrong would just like to see the part.

RC Racer
    How do you like those beadlocks, ive been really interested in them but haven't really heard that much about them

RC Racer
    Pretty sure they are fairly new to the market. I am going to try and get my engine broke in this week and I will be able to let you know. Since they are so narrow I am going to definitely tape them.

[QUOTE=jjlogue3]Pretty sure they are fairly new to the market. I am going to try and get my engine broke in this week and I will be able to let you know. Since they are so narrow

I'm Kind of curious why you did this mod? I can't find that part, But you could always bore out a 14mm hex and push in a bearing.
    Last edited by KyLeader7; 03-14-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    The reason I did this mod is because every time I went to my LHS the options were limited on the the wheel choices. I wanted beadlocks without spending $100 on ebay getting those aluminum ones. 12mm hex wheels are easier to find and there are a lot more of them than the standard Jato front wheels. Rear wheels will fit on the front and visa versa. You still haven't answered my question what is "single shear"? How is the set up with the Rustler casters any different than the Jato set up other than the hexes? I can't see any.

RC Champion
    I also see no point to doing this.

You can get 2.2" beadlocks for the Jato. They are plastic and arent that expensive. There are tons of options for tires to put on the Jato.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353

You can get 2.2" beadlocks for the Jato. They are plastic and arent that expensive. There are tons of options for tires to put on the Jato.

So don't do it.

Edit:

For this reason right here. Rob there are many of us with different tastes here and this helps satisfy them. If you don't like a mod don't do it it is that simple. There is no reason to come in and bag on someone else's mod. You don't see me bagging your carbon fiber do ya? I don't like carbon fiber but i didn't go into that thread about that top plate brace and cut up your pics did I?
    Last edited by jjlogue3; 03-14-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Single sheer is the the rustler ex. The mounting screws goes through the turnbuckle end, and mounts to the bottom of the steering block.

the jato's screw goes into the steering bock, then through the turnbuckle, then mounting in the lower part of the steering block.

I'm not dissing your thread or your mod at all man, i'm just curious as to why you chose to do it. On my Nitro rustler I went from rustler parts to the jato setup and I personally saw a better platform in the jato setup.
    Learn by doing

RC Champion
    Im not trying to bash your idea and your mod. I just wouldnt do it to my truck, thats all. If you like that setup better, then go for it.

RC Racer
    Sorry.......Blank

RC Racer

2.2 Beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by RobF353

Send me a link please for a beadlock that fits a front stock axle on a Jato or nitro Rustler please.....Gliddenace@aol.com ......Thank you !!

Pretty sure maximizer makes them, try their website..
    Learn by doing

RC Qualifier
    why do you even need beadlocs on the front they have no torque on them just stick with agitators for the front and any 2.2 beadlocs on the back

RC Racer
    i like the mod jjlogue3, ive been looking to try something like this, as would be good when rear tyres getting low to swap with the fronts and vice versa ,

RC Racer
    whats the steering and turning circle like though as looking at the pic, seems this will be affected

RC Qualifier
    I like the idea just because you can use hex front and rear so "rotating" tires is possible. I didn't notice the possible difference in steering until jatonewbie mentioned it. Hmmm .... does it change? And which way? Looks like it might be LOTS more sensitive or twitchy.
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

RC Racer
    hi, i maybe wrong, just looking at the differences it looks like you may lose some of the turning circle etc, but on a plus point the idea of rotating wheels does sound appealing

RC Racer
    You do lose a little bit I will post a pic of the difference tonight or tomorrow. But I really didn't notice it after the mod. As for the beadlocks on the front it is basically so I can rotate them and I hate gluing tires. lol..

RC Racer
    would you say then when running, theres a big difference in the turning circle, as the stock jato has quite a sharp turning circle when your finger isnt on the trigger that is lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jatonewbie70
    would you say then when running, theres a big difference in the turning circle, as the stock jato has quite a sharp turning circle when your finger isnt on the trigger that is lol
    lol i was gonna say why do you need tight turning with the jato when you can just spin it around lol. I will post up pics and if I get real ambitious I will post up a video of the truck turning with the mod. I'm gonna go out to the garage right now and swap out the casters for pics.

RC Racer
    Ok here is what I did for the pics. I changed out one caster to the stock and disconnected the steering turnbuckle to the other side so it wouldn't interfere with the turning. I then took pictures of the stock caster turned fully right and fully left then did the same with the Rustler caster (with both steering turnbuckles hooked up). I decided to take it a step further and mark the turning points on my garage floor so you could get a better idea. Please take note that the beadlocks are narrower than the tire wheel combo that i used with the stock caster. If you want me to throw a 2.2 (normal) rear wheel on the front and take some more pics I will.

Stock Turned Right

Stock Turned Left

Rustler Caster Turned Right

Rustler Caster Turned Left

Garage Floor With Marks BL=Beadlock NBL= Not Beadlock

As you can see there is a little bit of a turning difference I will try to hook it up to a device and tell you exactly how many degrees difference it is. With pics of course

RC Racer
    Ok hopefully I have swapped out my casters for the last time I have a much better way of showing the difference between the two. If you see ant flaws with my method let me know and I will do my best to fix it. I came up with a 3 degree difference between the two with the stock casters having the advantage. I built a jig to hold my Jato in the same spot every time to do this and found it to be quite handy. I might try to make something more permanent out of aluminum. It would make it an ease to set camber and toe in/out on the front.

Here is the jig I built-

Here is my Jato in the jig-

Here it is with the Rustler casters on 132 degrees (inside mark)-

Here it is with the stock casters on 135 degrees (outside mark)-

Here is what I used to measure them-

Hope this answers all questions. I wanted to know for myself too and in my mind this answers it!

RC Racer
    nice1 that answers my question, not a lot of difference then yeah, nice pics and jig you did to

RC Racer
    Thanks jatonewb as for the jig I just threw it together with some scrap wood I had laying around in the garage and it is only good for this jato with these wheels and tires on the back. I want to make a more universal on that would work for all of my trucks.

RC Racer
    ill be trying this mod myself, as will have more choice of wheel combos, and be able rotate them also

RC Racer
    What an awesome thread!! Good job bro, I definity will do this mod. Rotating tires is a great thing especially on the rear tire rippin jato. Thanks A LOT!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sein01
    What an awesome thread!! Good job bro, I definity will do this mod. Rotating tires is a great thing especially on the rear tire rippin jato. Thanks A LOT!!!

Thanks man!

RC Competitor
    Just got my parts, can't wait until I'm done. Finally some good wheel/tire choices. Nice write up

RC poster
    I'm actualy going to try to put some bearings in hex's.If I cant get that to work I will try your mod.Three degree's does'nt seem like enough to worry about.

Putting the bearings into the hex won't be too hard. Find the right size drillfor the end and just work your way up from the centermost point. Goodluck with it though, take your time- easy to get off center.
    Learn by doing

RC poster
    It shouldn't be to difficult. I'm lucky enough that my brother inlaw has a machine shop in the garage. I've been slowly talking him into showing me how to use the tools. I'll post pics as soon as I build stuff.

RC poster
    Nice mod man. I am doing this mod right now and was wondering how much it affected steering sensitivity. I see the radius is affected but it looks like steering ratio will be thrown off. I was wondering if you noticed any difference.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post

So......who makes plastic headlocks that r a direct bolt on for a jato..?.. I'm curious.....Im not worried bout price.... WHO..?...
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Anyone looking for some bolt on billet beadlocks??? Pm me
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post
    So......who makes plastic headlocks that r a direct bolt on for a jato..?.. I'm curious.....Im not worried bout price.... WHO..?...
    proline titus 2.2
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Qualifier
    Btw, you MUST have the RPM A arms. This mod will not work with the stock A arms. The wheels hit the little bolt holding the axle carrier rod in place.

Can you please add the RPM A arms part number to the OP? Thanks.