RC Qualifier

Stampede_fanatic's "How to" clinic: Installation of motor fan using receiver.

2 things you need:
    Motor fan:

and

10" 2-wire JST/BEC Extension (JST yellow circle. BEC blue circle):

Close up of BEC side:

Close up of JST side:

First step is to open the receiver:

You will use this part of the receiver, between the 2 arrows (That is channel 4):

Better view of channel 4 (Pay attention to the two red circles):

The JST side of the 10" 2-wire JST/BEC Extension will plug into channel 4 in the receiver (Remember those two red circles eariler). Take note of the exposed part of the JST side (The one which show the gold metal leads, circled in green). In order for the JST side to fit into the receiver, the exposed metal leads should be facing towards the rear of the stampede. That is a very important step. If you did not do it correctly, the dual fans won't work at all:

This is how it looks with the JST side connected on channel 4:

More pics coming up next post...
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-10-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Traxxas only allows you to post 10 pics.

RC Qualifier
    Better pic of the JST side connected to channel 4:

From a distance, this is how it should look after connecting the JST side into the receiver on channel 4:

Next is to open this part of the receiver and thread the BEC side into it (Circled in red):

Keep on threading the BEC side by following the ESC wire's path:

Continue following the ESC wire's path:

BEC side now passing underneath ESC:

BEC Male about to meet BEC Female:

After pairing them:

Did some tidying up of the connected wires:

DONE!

Feel free to post up or PM me if you have any questions. Hope you guys like it!
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-10-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added more detailed pics.

RC Qualifier
    Just some observations as I used to run these fans. It's much easier and less wire (lower reistance) to solder up a little BEC harness and run them right off the tap from the ESC along with that fan. You get the same 6V there, much closer, and you just have to worry about red to red and black to black.
    You need to re-route the motor wires from the way you have them. You're cutting off about 30% of the air intake to your ESC fan, and putting any pressure on it will not be good for the fan motor either.
    While these fans/heatsink will drop your temp 15-20 degrees, the single large fan in the "Mega heat sink/ fan" thread of a week or two ago will drop it 30-40 degrees! The dual is now my backup, and the Mega the every day setup. You wire that up the same way, but you'll need a Dremel and cutting wheel to modify the heat sink to fit on the velineon motor.
    Happy bashing.

RC Qualifier
    It might sound simple, but I'm sure your images with help someone in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to document this mod.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you taking the time to do this. It is very helpful!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Just some observations as I used to run these fans. It's much easier and less wire (lower reistance) to solder up a little BEC harness and run them right off the tap from the ESC along with that fan. You get the same 6V there, much closer, and you just have to worry about red to red and black to black.
    You need to re-route the motor wires from the way you have them. You're cutting off about 30% of the air intake to your ESC fan, and putting any pressure on it will not be good for the fan motor either.
    While these fans/heatsink will drop your temp 15-20 degrees, the single large fan in the "Mega heat sink/ fan" thread of a week or two ago will drop it 30-40 degrees! The dual is now my backup, and the Mega the every day setup. You wire that up the same way, but you'll need a Dremel and cutting wheel to modify the heat sink to fit on the velineon motor.
    Happy bashing.
    My initial plan was to solder up the BEC pigtail and run it off from the ESC, but since I don't have any soldering stuff, I decided to use the receiver.

Your right on the motor wires. The circulation is really affected since the wires coming from the ESC are blocking the air's path. I need to adjust the motor mount so that the motor wires are coming out from the side and not on top.

Once I have found a nice used dremel, I'll definitely do the "mega heat sink/fan mod".

Quote Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
    It might sound simple, but I'm sure your images with help someone in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to document this mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman00 View Post
    Thank you taking the time to do this. It is very helpful!!!!!!
    Thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    Update!

Fixed the wiring as well to help the ESC draw more air in. Went from this:

To this:

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Update!

To this:

Is the 4 channel reciever the stock reciever?Im going to install a simlar heatsink fan. Also when you moved the wires did you have to disconnect them or just unscrew the clip and move them?
    thanks for any help.

Yes that is the stock receiver dude just take your time and enjoy putting the fan in the truck.........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    excellent thanks. im hoping a 6 inch extension will work couldnt get a 10 inch... if anything i guess i would switch the fans around and run the wire alng the other side right down the middle to the reciever?

You need to watch your references.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-27-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Content

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird43 View Post
    excellent thanks. im hoping a 6 inch extension will work couldnt get a 10 inch... if anything i guess i would switch the fans around and run the wire alng the other side right down the middle to the reciever?

You need to watch your references.
    -ksb51rl
    Sorry about that.

Dude that will work just fine make sure you give us an update on what you think........peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird43 View Post
    Is the 4 channel reciever the stock reciever?Im going to install a simlar heatsink fan. Also when you moved the wires did you have to disconnect them or just unscrew the clip and move them?
    thanks for any help.
    Just like Spennie had said, yes that is the stock receiver. When you said I moved the wires, are you referring to the wires that go from ESC to the motor? If so, I did not disconnect the wires. I just moved the whole ESC to motor wires towards the right and arranged the wires in such a way that the ESC fan does not get blocked.

Hope that helped.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 08-29-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Racer
    Update!

To this:

Did u zip tie it to the wire hold down clamp. Or are they just zip tied and free moving. How did u move the 3 wires coming from the motor to the side of it?
    Last edited by Jaybird43; 09-03-2013 at 04:50 PM.

RC Racer
    I tried taking off the motor too see how you got it turned sideways and i am baffled. I can see in the pic were the wires have been moved with the motor. Does anyone know how this is done?

Put the motor plate as if it was in the chassis and then turn the motor 1/4 and then match up the hole and job done.......peace

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Put the motor plate as if it was in the chassis and then turn the motor 1/4 and then match up the hole and job done.......peace
    Oh ic i got to take the screws out of the bottom of the plate and turn it. then i guess the screw holes will line up?

They will line up just fine and then the motor will sit just as you want it dude...........peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Spennie got it right Jaybird43!

Exactly how I did mine!
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Qualifier
    My initial plan was to solder up the BEC pigtail and run it off from the ESC, but since I don't have any soldering stuff, I decided to use the receiver.

Your right on the motor wires. The circulation is really affected since the wires coming from the ESC are blocking the air's path. I need to adjust the motor mount so that the motor wires are coming out from the side and not on top.

Once I have found a nice used dremel, I'll definitely do the "mega heat sink/fan mod".

I just wanted to say that i bought a 'piece a junk' dremel knock-off from walmart for $14.88 i've used it countless times now with no problems... LOL I always held off buying one because they are so expensive...Turns out that's just Dremel.. There are many other way more affordable brands..You definitely get what you pay for, and the Dremel is a superior product but don't let that stop you.... a cheap one will do the job just the same,just make sure to pick up some quality cutting discs... pay the 5 bucks at the register and get the warranty... if it breaks they give you a new one....Best $20 bucks i've spent in a long time...

RC Racer
    yup, just seen this thread and installed my heatsink/fan combo. If using the integy, you have to remove the fan and rotate it to be closest/shortest distance to the receiver. this thread just saved me $25 for labor. lol
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Racer
    WoW! Nice photos on the "how to".
    Can you make a how to service the diffs. or shock oil?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMaxPro View Post
    WoW! Nice photos on the "how to".
    Can you make a how to service the diffs. or shock oil?
    that'd be awesome
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Nice write-up and pictures!

How do your VXL-3s like it running three fans? I've seen more than one report stating it may be throublesome...

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna get a esc fan and motor heat sink see if that works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I really like the mod to allow more airflow to the ESC fan.

I have an ESC fan on its way, but I can't figure out for the life of me how you rotated those motor wires to the right.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning waring points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by coryumph View Post
    I really like the mod to allow more airflow to the ESC fan.

I have an ESC fan on its way, but I can't figure out for the life of me how you rotated those motor wires to the right.
    you have undo the single screw in front of the gear cover. rotate the motor mount plate to the right. then you'll see 2 screws holding on the motor to the plate. undo the screws and turn the motor clock wise or counter clockwise. then install in reverse order. once you take the motor assembly off the motor mount you'll see what I'm saying. real simple
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-12-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Modified quote.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSJoo View Post
    you have undo the single screw in front of the gear cover. rotate the motor mount plate to the right. then you'll see 2 screws holding on the motor to the plate. undo the screws and turn the motor clock wise or counter clockwise. then install in reverse order. once you take the motor assembly off the motor mount you'll see what I'm saying. real simple
    Ah hah! I didn't realize you had to remove the motor from the plate. Now I got it figured out. Thanks for the help.