Thread: Heat Sink(pics)

RC Qualifier

Heat Sink(pics)

Messed up a little but was kind of hard w/ no dremel but their only 10$ might get another one in the future and do it more clean next time but still works, used artic silver 5, IMO best thermal compound/grease out there

Nice clean install!
    Good job
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    thanks, next I'll be working on a way to mount the fan may have to put a bracket, spacers and possibly a couple holes in the tranny casing

Cant you turn the motor 180 degrees,so the wires are where the heat sink is,Fit the heat sink where the hr letters are.And fit the fan there?
    Or is there not enough room?
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post

Messed up a little but was kind of hard w/ no dremel but their only 10$ might get another one in the future and do it more clean next time but still works, used artic silver 5, IMO best thermal compound/grease out there
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I just took a look at it seems close but I don't think so, but good idea I don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess cause I'm so used to seeing people turn it the way I have it, whenever I get another 1 and do a cleaner job I'll try it out

RC Qualifier
    so I ended up having to take the heat sink off for now cause I couldn't put back on my rear bumper if you look in the pic the tranny casing isn't flush so that 1 screw wouldn't fit, then when I got the screw in the gear mesh wasn't flush and it was way to close where it the pinion/spur wouldn't rotate freely, but the heat sink combined w/ the thermal compound was working really good, after a full pack the heat sink was kind of hot to the touch and motor was cool like it barely even ran, tomorrow I'll be trying to grind off about 1/2inch or so again so I could get it back on w/ no problems, oh yea btw billy before I took it off I tried what you suggested and it wouldn't fit maybe I'll try again tomorrow after grinding a little more off
    Last edited by XRated; 02-09-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Don't forget,that back cap comes off.If your not in the water all the time ,I take them off and but a sticker or something over the bearing hole. That would give you a lot of room,and if necessary the heat sink could come over the motor edge a bit.
    so I ended up having to take the heat sink off for now cause I couldn't put back on my rear bumper if you look in the pic the tranny casing isn't flush so that 1 screw wouldn't fit, then when I got the screw in the gear mesh wasn't flush and it was way to close where it the pinion/spur wouldn't rotate freely, but the heat sink combined w/ the thermal compound was working really good, after a full pack the heat sink was kind of hot to the touch and motor was cool like it barely even ran, tomorrow I'll be trying to grind off about 1/2inch or so again so I could get it back on w/ no problems, oh yea btw billy before I took it off I tried what you suggested and it wouldn't fit maybe I'll try again tomorrow after grinding a little more off

RC Qualifier
    True, I did want to leave the cap on there even though I'm not in the water a lot but I'll try taking it off tomorrow and see if it'll fit w/out any more hand grinding haha I'm pretty sure I have a decal that could cover the bearing

RC Qualifier
    I had to trim my sink a lot to clear the RPM rear bumper. It's easy with some snips and a file.

Hate to say it,because I hate integrity.But I took this Heat sink ,took off the fan and ground off the three fins between the fan mounts, for the motor wires.And it clipped on the rpm case like it was meant to be there.
    Going to by two more for me other two velineon systems.None of my three cc 3800 get hot,and if they do,they come with fans.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    nice, do you just clip em on or have you tried thermal compound, I don't know how hot it gets where your at or how hot your vxl systems get but either way I think it's best to keep your motor as cool as possible and the thermal stuff helps pull the heat away a lot

My motor ran nearly 30 degrees cooler,but I contribute most or a lot of that, to the new rpm case,At least 20 degrees to the rpm case and 10 more for the heat sink.
    But it fit so perfect,I almost felt bad.Literally two minutes of grinding those three fins,sliding it on the motor. Then reinstalling the motor.
    Done perfect fit,ill take some pics tomorrow, when I get the other two.
    And just clipped it on,no compound of any kind.
    nice, do you just clip em on or have you tried thermal compound, I don't know how hot it gets where your at or how hot your vxl systems get but either way I think it's best to keep your motor as cool as possible and the thermal stuff helps pull the heat away a lot

RC Qualifier
    nice!, yea I cut a few holes in my body and w/ the rpm case I can run a lot longer now, today at the track I only had to stop once to let it cool w/ my 5000mah 2s, after I get my heat sink on and get the trenchers and replace my skid plate I want to get somewhere from 6-8000mah 40-60c lipo

My most powerful 2s is a Reedy 65c 6500mah,and that's just for the cc 3800,the velineon has a short burst pull of 140amp max,any thing over 40 to 50c is over kill,and 8000mah,that's air plane stuff,not to mention weight and modifying your slash for it to fit.
    If your not to worried about money,a 5400mah 35c,Thunder power,will give a velineon system all it can use.About $75.And 40+ minutes of run time,they will run my cc 3800 just fine as well.

RC Qualifier
    so I wouldn't want to go over 6500mah for runtime correct? and anything over 35c is overkill for the vxl? thanks in advance for the advice your gonna end up saving me money lol, also I don't know if they even have this but do they make 11.1v 2s lipos and if so are they any good, just wondering cause I hear 2s lipo 7.4v is even w/ a higher volt nimh but the nimh only has and advantage for the first min. or so
    Last edited by XRated; 02-10-2013 at 08:47 PM.

11.1 is a 3s,and your truck will run on it,but you think things break now.
    And NiMh are a dying breed as lipos get more and more,safe to use.
    Unlike lipos the NiMh holds that 8.4 volts for about 2 minutes,and lose power slowly,good for kids as they are not as danger's.''
    so I wouldn't want to go over 6500mah for runtime correct? and anything over 35c is overkill for the vxl? thanks in advance for the advice your gonna end up saving me money lol, also I don't know if they even have this but do they make 11.1v 2s lipos and if so are they any good, just wondering cause I hear 2s lipo 7.4v is even w/ a higher volt nimh but the nimh only has and advantage for the first min. or so

RC Qualifier
    I know 11.1 is 3s I was just wondering if it was possible to have higher voltage on 2 cells cause I thought I found one cause it said 11.1 2s but once you click it and zoom on the batt. it says 3s so nvm haha, but to the first part of the ? I wouldn't want to waste going over 6500mah, and anything over 35c on vxl is overkill correct?

RC Racer
    This is how I put mine on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    NICE!, see I was looking into that gearcase cause the room it gives, I will say I am happy w/ my rpm gearcase, but I think on one of my next r/c's I'm going to have to try out that HR one