RC Competitor

Rustler xl-5 motor and esc

I'm wondering if I can use this motor with my rusty xl-5:
    http://www.amazon.com/HPI-Racing-114...ref=pd_sbs_t_2

And I may upgrade the ESC while I'm at it to this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Products..._bxgy_t_text_y

Pretty sure I can use the motor, but what about the ESC?
    Thanks~

RC Racer
    I have that exact motor in my rusty right now. The only thing is you need to drop a few teeth on the pinion gear because its a 540 type motor. I purchased this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-2416...item4ac11ee6e6 With the stock 19t pinion I had pretty high top end speed but I wanted more torque. It was explained to me here to drop the pinion gear down a few teeth and it worked.
    Is that ESC waterproof? I seen that it is pre programmed and has reverse but I would make sure its waterproof.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Qualifier
    xl5 esc Motor Limit: 15-turns** (540 Size) Cant be less the 15 turns so it would work. With the esc
    12-turns** (550 Size)
    Also if you thinking about upgrading the esc. I would get the traxxas vxl esc it can run a brushed motor. Then you are half way there to go brushless just my 2 cents.

Most people on here will say go with the electrifly s600. If you do that you need to solder on the wire leads, capacitor, and add a flat spot on the shaft. Also the shaft is shorter the the titan. It also works fine with the xl5 esc. Last Year I bought an electrifly ht600 on ebay. It is an older model they dont make it any more. But there is one on ebay right now for 12 bucks plus shipping. All I had to do was make the flat spot longer on the shaft. I am very impressed with it. More torque then the titan. Speed was a little slower with same pinion. but I could also gear up. The titan would bog in the grass. I could not wheelie with out going backwards then forward. The electrifly ht600 doesnt bog wheelies great. I have no experience with the s600. If you search on here there is plenty of info on it.
    Last edited by mes882; 02-11-2013 at 09:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...0-120912_4.pdf

Brushed motors
    For the ultimate in versatility, the VXL-3s has no motor limit when
    used with a brushed motor. This allows you to use any readily
    available 540 or 550 size brushed motors in your VXL-3s equipped
    vehicle. Always be sure to follow all break in and maintenance
    instructions set forth by the motor manufacturer. The VXL-3s
    automatically detects what kind of motor it is connected to so no
    programming actions are required to use brushed motors. Simply be
    sure to properly connect the motor to the speed control as shown.
    Optional brushed motor wiring diagram:
    • Motor positive (+) should be connected to phase A (blue).
    • Phase B is not used.
    • Motor negative (-) should be connected to phase C (white).
    If the wiring is reversed, the motor will operate in reverse. If the
    motor is wired incorrectly (using phases A+B or B+C), the VXL-3s will
    send short pulses to the motor and turn off the LED indicating a fail
    safe mode. It will not return to normal operation until wired properly

RC Competitor
    I've decided against the ESC, because since it's stock in an onroad car it will most likely not be waterproofed or meant for off road use. What gearing would you suggest for the firebolt 15t?

RC Racer
    I use the stock 83t spur gear and the 16t pinion with the firebolt. It depends on what you want to do..If you want speed or torque and acceleration. Just decide what would be best for your driving style...Here is a quick vid that explains what the gearing will do to your rusty.

RC Qualifier
    Here is some thing I found quick explaining the torque/speed. Related to the number of turns.

To begin with, 540 and 550 are the motor sizes - they are the length of the armature (motor core) in millimeters. Ignore the 550 size for a moment, though, because it just confuses things. We'll get all the basics straightened out for standard-sized 540 motors, then look at how the 550-size Titan compares.

The number in the motor name is the number of turns it has, or the number of times the wire inside is wrapped around the armature. More turns means more torque, and fewer turns means more speed and more overall power. The XL-5 can handle pretty much any standard motor with 15 turns or more, but going to the very limit with a Stampede makes gearing tricky, so most people use a 17-turn for a good balance of torque and speed.

Because of the torque and low speed, most rock crawlers use a 55-turn motor. In a Stampede, a crawler motor might give you 5-10 MPH top speed, so it's not really a good idea. The 17-turn motor gives the truck more than enough torque to wheelie, so going to any higher-turn motor just reduces your top speed and provides no real benefit.

The 27-turn motors you've seen are a special class of motor, used in racing. All the motors have the same characteristics, so the racing is down to skill in maintenance and driving. Ignore these motors completely, because they are a terrible choice unless you're buying them for racing. The motors most bashers and amateur racers use are called 'modified' class, even though they're not actually modified at all. I believe the name comes from the fact that their design is a modification of the 27-turn stock design.

Finally, some of these motors are tunable. You can adjust the timing, which shifts the magnetic fields inside the motor, reducing low-end torque in exchange for a bit more top-end power. These adjustable motors, like the Orion Pro BB, also tend to be rebuildable, which allows them to last much longer.

Now, everything so far has been in reference to standard-sized 540 motors. Traxxas uses an extra-large 550-sized motor in the XL-5 trucks, which makes these discussions much more complicated than they need to be. The longer armature allows the motor to produce more torque but at a lower speed. The extra length also changes the resistance in the motor, so the number of turns isn't comparable to standard motors. The Titan happens to have 12 turns, but it's actually comparable to a 540 motor with around 19 turns. Because the Titan is designed for longevity rather than performance, and isn't particularly well-known for either, it's best to leave it out of these discussions entirely.

RC Competitor
    So, judging from that long post, what would you personally recommend for a rustler? I haven't placed an order yet, and I'm still looking around. (P.S. I like to do wheelies and also go fast.. that may be hard if I want both)

RC Qualifier
    If you really want both go brushless but I know not everyone can afford that .

I have no experience with the hpi motor you are looking at. I bought an electrifly ht600 and an electrifly s600. When the kids titan died. Ht600 is an older motor not made any more but there is one on ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrifly-G...item3ccc15019f. It runs pretty good. 6 months so far. I also bought an electrifly s600 but I have not used it. I do know most people on here say its a very good replacement for the titan. The down side is the s600 you have to add the wire capacitor and grind a flat spot for the pinions grub screw. The pinion just fits since the shaft is shorter. The ht600 I just made the flat spot go to the end of the shaft. Here a video of the s600 I found in a stampede To give you an idea. Remember in the video its a 6 cell so 7.2v I am guessing your running a 7 cell 8.4v which will make a difference to. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42080656,d.b2U
    Last edited by mes882; 02-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    I may try both of the motors since they're both inexpensive. I also cannot afford brushless at the moment, because I'm 14 and money spent on this car comes from me and me only My titan just began to slow down on me so I ordered the firebolt today. Thanks for the great responses/opinions

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by iGoRusty View Post
    So, judging from that long post, what would you personally recommend for a rustler? I haven't placed an order yet, and I'm still looking around. (P.S. I like to do wheelies and also go fast.. that may be hard if I want both)
    If you are looking for wheelies and fast you aren't going to get that out of the firebolt 15t. Small wheelies and some speed. Around 30 to 35 mph. Which is what is normal with the stock titan motor. I upgraded to a SPC (LiPo) 6500mAh , 50C, 2S, 7.4V with that motor and it gave me longer run time but not really any speed. When I dropped a few teeth in the pinion gear I got the torque back that I had with the titan. I still dont pull insane wheelies and its not even comparable to the speed you get with a brushless system. With the gears and a brushed motor it seems to be a give and take relationship. You can get more speed and sacrifice power or you can sacrifice speed for more torque/power. Thats really for you to decide what you want. Then follow the rules outlined in the video I posted to decide what gear combo you want. You can even pick multiple gears on ebay in packs for around 20 bucks. Then you can experiment all you want with gear combos until you find one that fits how you drive.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by iGoRusty View Post
    I ordered the firebolt today.
    When you get that motor in make sure you spend the time breaking it in properly. I done a water break in and it took about 30 minutes. Either way, dry or wet, after the break in make sure you clean it really good with a motor cleaner and then use a good gear oil on it. There are tons of videos on youtube on how to break one in either way. I'm not saying you dont but I see a lot of posts of people buying 10 dollar motors, slapping them in their buggies and driving the heck out of em and they last 10 runs. Spend a little time on maintenance and they will last longer.

RC Competitor
    I got 2 months out of my Titan w/o breaking it in, but I'm not gonna test my luck with the firebolt... And I just want the ability to do a wheelie if I wanted. On my Titan I actually managed to ride a wheelie for about 30 seconds up my road without my wheelie bar, and I wish I had it on video looking forward to getting my firebolt