Thread: Really!!!???

RC Qualifier

Really!!!???

So got my truck up and running again did some backyard basing today and snapped my STOCK rear bearing/hub carrier after that went to my LHS and bought rpm rear carriers got home installed them went out the my local bashing spot was doing some 5-6ft jumps nothing crazy and a few tumbles notice my left rear tire was sitting sideways(same thing that happened w/ my stock carrier earlier in the day) checked it sure enough rpm rear carrier snapped it was around 45-48degrees outside when this happen, lucky me I have the other stock rear carrier I'm going to install to replace it cause when I went to my LHS the employee invited me tomorrow afternoon to a local track to do some bashing and racing

RC Qualifier
    Wow that stinks! I believe rpm warranties their products. Look it up...
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

RC Qualifier
    Dam that sucks dude :-/ crazy those RPM's snapped too

RC Qualifier
    yea I'll check it out but just for rear carriers???, would I have to send em both in or could I just send the broken 1, yea it is crazy the rpms snapped and if you seen the stock 1s snapped more cleanly the rpms snapped all crazy

RC Qualifier
    I'm not to sure. I recommend giving them a call, from what I've heard is that they do replace parts. Now how they break, how long you had them all those factors etc I don't know. But like I said give them a call or check the net and see what you can find.

RC Qualifier
    cool man I'll do that, yea tomorrow around 12 I'm going to a new track that was built over here in temecula at wine country it'll be my first time at a track so we'll see how it goes

RC Qualifier
    Best advice I can give you is take it slow. Learn the track etiquette, and just focus on staying in the track then working on being smooth then fast.

RC Qualifier
    cool man I'll let you guys know how it goes I'll try to get a vid up to

RC Champion
    Yeah they will replace it, just write up a short explanation of how it broke and send it to them.

CM10 Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

The stock part I can see,the rpm noway. There are other forces at work here. Even tho I told you to move your lower shock mounts out,because you thought it was sitting to low, the bearing carriers are taking all the force of your landing's.
    5 foot of air is more than you think,if that's the type of running you want to do fine,but bring the shock lower mounts closer in,so they can do there job. Then they will take 50% of the force before the bearing carrier even knows its landing.
    That's why they come out of the box set up for max punishment.
    When that truck is in the air,I can guaranty you the suspension is fully unloaded,look at the sight I'm seeding you,take your time and learn how to set up your truck for different conditions.
    With the proper set up,a stock truck will make 5 to 10 foot jumps all day long,without breaking anything.
    http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
    Go to quick reference guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    cool man I'll do that, yea tomorrow around 12 I'm going to a new track that was built over here in temecula at wine country it'll be my first time at a track so we'll see how it goes
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You can also boil plastic parts to make them more flexible. The only thing is with them flexing you will loose the stiffness & stability you need though (even though RPM doesnt really give you that).

Any thought of aluminum carriers? I run them on my Slash and havent busted a carrier since. If they get pushed hard enough they will bend though. I've bashed my Slash pretty hard for amost a couple of years now, in the yard, sk8te parks, and at the track and they are still going strong. I'm revamping my Slash at the moment and checking stuff through.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

In my opinion,you should run aluminum caster blocks,and rpm carriers,or reversal.
    The reason I say this ,is someone brought it to my attention and it made sense.
    In a front end impact with aluminum carriers,and c blocks,something has to give. Tho I have never experienced it,It makes perfect sense.I chose aluminum c blocks and rpm carriers,only because rpm c blocks give,as do carriers,but c blocks tend to bend the pins more often.
    I guess it depends on how and where your running.
    Just like I tried telling x rated,If you want to go from a short course to a flat oval,you need either two trucks,or time to readjust everything.
    You wouldn't take a real off road truck and run the Indy with it,anymore then you would take a Indy car on an off road course.
    Ill bet you anything his truck is landing hard on the rear side,that keeps taking out the bearing carriers,but the way I suggested he set up his truck was far more for hard surface semi flat running ,not 5 foot jumps.He has his shock bottom mounts way out,admittedly my call,but he was worried about the suspension sitting to low,but we have to under stand sitting still and running are two very different things.
    If my truck is set to run a rough short course,it will dance in the dirt,but take that same set up on the street,and you can hardly turn with out the front end diving,and lifting the rear tire right off the ground,or just rolling over.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    You can also boil plastic parts to make them more flexible. The only thing is with them flexing you will loose the stiffness & stability you need though (even though RPM doesnt really give you that).

Any thought of aluminum carriers? I run them on my Slash and havent busted a carrier since. If they get pushed hard enough they will bend though. I've bashed my Slash pretty hard for amost a couple of years now, in the yard, sk8te parks, and at the track and they are still going strong. I'm revamping my Slash at the moment and checking stuff through.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the info I'll check it out

RC poster
    Interestingly enough...I bought a Slash VXL today, brought it home and unboxed it only to find out that the rear strut (carrier) was BROKEN!! Back to my LHS and exchanged it.

And now, before even draining the first battery, my tranny is making a lot of noise with a rhythmic clicking sound.

Compared to my 10 year old TMaxx, and new Revo 3.3, I'm not so impressed with the Slash so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    You can also boil plastic parts to make them more flexible.

You must have owned a first generation JQ car.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoVance View Post
    Interestingly enough...I bought a Slash VXL today, brought it home and unboxed it only to find out that the rear strut (carrier) was BROKEN!! Back to my LHS and exchanged it.

And now, before even draining the first battery, my tranny is making a lot of noise with a rhythmic clicking sound.

Compared to my 10 year old TMaxx, and new Revo 3.3, I'm not so impressed with the Slash so far.
    You will like it
    I think their has been a bad batch of rear carriers going around
    The trans is probably a tiny pebble stuck in the spur gear
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

whops wrong post.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    You will like it
    I think their has been a bad batch of rear carriers going around
    The trans is probably a tiny pebble stuck in the spur gear
    Last edited by billy-bones; 02-16-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    In my opinion,you should run aluminum caster blocks,and rpm carriers,or reversal.
    The reason I say this ,is someone brought it to my attention and it made sense.
    In a front end impact with aluminum carriers,and c blocks,something has to give. Tho I have never experienced it,It makes perfect sense.I chose aluminum c blocks and rpm carriers,only because rpm c blocks give,as do carriers,but c blocks tend to bend the pins more often.
    I guess it depends on how and where your running.
    Just like I tried telling x rated,If you want to go from a short course to a flat oval,you need either two trucks,or time to readjust everything.
    You wouldn't take a real off road truck and run the Indy with it,anymore then you would take a Indy car on an off road course.
    Ill bet you anything his truck is landing hard on the rear side,that keeps taking out the bearing carriers,but the way I suggested he set up his truck was far more for hard surface semi flat running ,not 5 foot jumps.He has his shock bottom mounts way out,admittedly my call,but he was worried about the suspension sitting to low,but we have to under stand sitting still and running are two very different things.
    If my truck is set to run a rough short course,it will dance in the dirt,but take that same set up on the street,and you can hardly turn with out the front end diving,and lifting the rear tire right off the ground,or just rolling over.
    Very true!

The one thing about landing, if you land hard on one side, all to the front, or all to the rear it will take the brunt of the impact and will stress those parts. Maybe not at this instant but it will eventually take tole on the parts. It took me a while and i'm still not perfect at it. But when you take a jump you need to learn what throttle does to make it land flat on all 4's. A well balance truck totally helps out to. My Slash was built for bashing so I know what it is capable of at the track. I think I have it figured out on the jumps and how to make it react to them. I hardly ever get a chance to go to one as they are a journey to get there. At the begining of the year my bro in law and I spent almost a day at the track. I finally got the feel for it and was doing pretty good at the end. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    sometimes I get smooth jumps and most of the time I could dive the nose down in mid air but it's hard to bring the nose up, I don't know if it's my slash or their all like this but when I jump I have to hit reverse twice to make the tires spin

sometimes I get smooth jumps and most of the time I could dive the nose down in mid air but it's hard to bring the nose up, I don't know if it's my slash or their all like this but when I jump I have to hit reverse twice to make the tires spin
    The first time you hit reverse it stops the rotation, second time the wheels will turn.

It's more difficult to change your attitude in the air with a 2wd truck because of less rotational mass.

As Digger mentioned above, aluminum bearing carriers will fix your problem. STRC for one, comes with new bearings.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    alright I got rpm rear carriers but I'll check out some aluminum

I'm not a big fan of rpm bearing carriers or C-blocks because they usually bend, not break like yours did.

To their credit, RPM will warranty just about anything.

RC Qualifier
    well I already got the strc casters so I don't want to go aluminum on aluminum in the front

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I'm not a big fan of rpm bearing carriers or C-blocks because they usually bend, not break like yours did.

To their credit, RPM will warranty just about anything.
    Very ture. i've been there and done that too! I'm wondering if the new hardened steel king pins by STRC or Proline will fix that. As the stock king pin and using those made the problem worse IMO.

well I already got the strc casters so I don't want to go aluminum on aluminum in the front
    Nothing wrong running aluminum on aluminum. Many people do it and w/o any issues. Unless its just a person preference why you dont want to. As a lube i'd suggest graphite powder anywhere they both rub. Especially when installing the king pin back on.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Then I'd stick with what you have on the front. I don't do epic hums but haven't broken anything in a while and I use aluminum too.

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Then I'd stick with what you have on the front. I don't do epic hums but haven't broken anything in a while and I use aluminum too.
    Wow my typing is worse than usual. Lol. I think I meant to say I don't use rpm hubs... I need to go back to bed.

RC Champion
    I do believe one of the best bullet proof set ups is the STRC aluminum castors, bearing hub carriers with STRC harden steel hing pins.

I have broken both the stock and RPM bearing carriers, though they were some very hard hits......

My aluminum on aluminum has and is working very well on both my race and off road Slash. The main difference in mine is set up, tires, suspension and gearing.

I really think that the race track provides more of a beating due to collisions with other trucks... The Slash is much more durable than my sons SC10...Just my opinion......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    that rear carrier takes a ton of stress when its hit hard. Go aluminum
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'