RC Qualifier

Need help fixing my friends truck

basically i need help with what esc and motor combo to go with.its a 4x4 vxl but he keeps burning up the vxl 3s esc and he wont do it again.so what water proof combo kinda cheap that can run on 3s would you recommend?

RC Qualifier
    if you want waterproof and cheap the vxl 3s is about your only option. a great combo would be the castle creations mamba monster 2 with 2400kv motor. you shouldnt have any problems with heat with that combo

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    i just got a water proof (WP) hobbywing 120amp esc esc with built on fan and a Tacon 3674-540XL-6T 2800KV 1/8 brushless motor and program card for $125.
    This motor is the equivalent to castles 1415 2400 kv from what ive been told from someone who owns both...
    CANT WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE!!!!
    The jang posted a youtube video that made up my mind.
    check it out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQ0m1BTfYo
    this setup (jangs) can go up to 4s safely his is the tacon 3674 1900 KV

The Hobbywing wp sc8 120a esc can handle 4s lipo
    Seems that this is what you are looking for. Waterproof, up to 4s capability, and half the price of the Mamba Monster combo.

RC Champion
    The hobby wing is good. The castle sidewinder SV3 is also waterproof, and much better than the SV2 they had before. It's good up to 3S. Either one would work well.

I just run a Mamba Max Pro, and coat it with liquid tape to add water resistance. No issues yet.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    The hobby wing is good. The castle sidewinder SV3 is also waterproof, and much better than the SV2 they had before. It's good up to 3S. Either one would work well.

I just run a Mamba Max Pro, and coat it with liquid tape to add water resistance. No issues yet.
    I heard somewhere that the Castle Sidewinder 3 is a little underpowered for the Stampede 4x4, and will overheat like the stock ESC and motor. Could someone double check on that?

I was having the same issue and I chose the Mamba monster 2 with a 2650kv motor. Have not ordered it yet, but it will be waay overpowered

RC Qualifier
    thank you all for your help but i guess i should of added that his 8 year old son will be driving it too and if it was mine i'd go for the mm2 combo but i know he wont spend that much money on it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyitches View Post
    I heard somewhere that the Castle Sidewinder 3 is a little underpowered for the Stampede 4x4, and will overheat like the stock ESC and motor. Could someone double check on that?
    From their website:
    Castle recommends 2s as the maximum cell count when using the Sidewinder V3 and a 1410 3800kv motor.

From Castle Support:
    The Sidewinder V3 can run the 1410 3800kv motor in most short course setups, but cannot run the 1415 motor.

So the The Sidewinder 3 would not be able to handle 3s LiPo, but 2s will work with a 1410 3800kv motor. I would not go this route with the Stampede 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    ok cool i have that set up in a rustler vxl and i only run it on 3s and the only problem i had was it has so much torque if i pulled the trigger all the way i snapped and axle until i put mip's in it. is there a hobbywing combo that will run this truck?i have a 120amp wp sc8 and a sl 3656 4000kv combo i bought like a year ago will that work for the truck.i really bought that kit just for the wp sc8 esc.or could i put the 120 amp esc and the velenion 3500 stock motor.i am mainly into the erevos so this is new to me

RC Qualifier
    does anyone know if i can run the stock 3500 motor off the hobbywing sc8 esc on 3s?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    does anyone know if i can run the stock 3500 motor off the hobbywing sc8 esc on 3s?
    I don't see why not, but I have never had this setup. The website says:

Input:
    - 6-12 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-4S Lipo

Motor Supported:
    - Sensorless Brushless Motor

Suitable Brushless Motor:
    - With 6 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2S Lipo: KV≤6000;
    - With 7-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 3S Lipo: KV≤4000;
    - With 10-12 cells NiMH/NiCd or 4S Lipo: KV≤3000;

Suitable Car:
    - 1/10 4WD SCT, 1/8 2WD and 4WD buggy/SCT (Include TRAXXAS 1/10 SCT)
    The stock motor seems to fit this description well.

RC Qualifier
    ok tyvm for your help