Thread: Truck vs truggy

RC Racer

Truck vs truggy

What is a difference between truck and truggy? I have a merv, and it looks like a truggy.

RC Champion
    Yeah a truggy is basically a monster truck that has been "slammed" lower center of gravity, etc.
    Matthew 7:7

Truggies have a center diff... no transmission...

There are actual definitions somewhere... I have seen them. lol
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Muggys are more closer to monster truck then truggys. I dont know the exact definition but im going to google it now.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Truggy is basically a 1/8 scale buggy with moster truck parts adapted to it.
    Back in the day if you wanted to build one you would:
    Add large diameter wheels/tires (Proline 17mm Velocity dish wheels are a popular choice)
    Remove the chassis plate side guards to accomodate a monster truck body
    Adapt modified monster truck suspension arms/ CVD's to accomodate larger wheels/tires

Nowadays you can purchase longer suspension arms and bigger shocks to convert a buggy to a truggy
    with no fabrications needed.
    Last edited by NitroTrout; 02-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Champion
    ...or just buy a truggy kit.

a truggy will out drive, take more abuse, and be far easier to maintain than any monster truck could dream of. truggies today are wider and longer than the first and 2nd gen setups and are more finely tuned machines.

anyone can drive a truggy though so real men run 2wd nitro st
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Racer
    Someone told me that my merv is a monster truck. I've never heard of muggy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    A MERV is what it is. I would say it could be considered a Mini Muggy (monster truggy)... but it could also be considered a mini monster truck as well. The full size ERBE is labled a monster truck but, in truth, is probably more LIKE a Muggy than a monster truck. The body of a vehicle should, IMO, have an effect on its lable. If it has a race body like a Revo, to me, it fits into more of a Muggy class. But, if you put a truck body on it, it becomes a monster truck.

Same goes for the MERV... if its got the MERV body, to me its a Mini Muggy... if you put a truck body on it you have a monster truck. But all this is semantics. Its whatever you want it to be as long as your having fun.

RC Champion
    Haha this thread, sorry.
    Matthew 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post

anyone can drive a truggy though so real men run 2wd nitro st

So true! Well, except for the nitro ST part. Nobody runs those things anymore. I don't think any companies even make them anymore.

But agreed that truggies are the closest thing to an auto-pilot r/c I've ever seen. And truggy drivers are the biggest hacks you will ever see on a track. It's like they just know that the truck will run over anything, boards included, and that they'll never break.

I almost bought one for racing. Luckily my buddy let me borrow his for the day and it changed my mind. I TQ'd and won the A-main first time out. Not that the other guys were that slow. Just that they had no finesse whatsoever and just used the throttle to solve everything. It only took me one day racing one to decide I never wanted to do it again.

Oh, and the main difference between a truggy and MT is the lack of a transmission.