Thread: Grrrr!

RC Competitor

Grrrr!

So I don't run my 3s battery much in my Stamp VXL as I think the power is a little too much most times. Today I decided to run it for fun. I put about 5-7 minutes of on / off driving up and down my street when the truck just stops. Check it and the wheels won't move and the motor is hotter than a pistol. Pull the motor and its completely seized. Take the motor apart and the rotor is all cracked and huge chunks are broken off. I figure I overheated the motor, but really, Traxxas advertises this as being 3s compatible you'd think that you could actually run it for more than a few minutes before the motor goes south. Well time for a new motor and to throw the SPC 3s in the trash...

Are there any good, inexpensive motors that I can just drop in and would be compatible with the connectors and electronics of the stock VXL-3S ESC?

Thanks!

RC Racer
    The tacon motors with the green can work well and bolt right in either a 3650 size or a 3674 size they come in different kv ratings so pick the one that's going to work for you I have a 3674 2800kv in my p2de from nitro rcx for 30 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VMX12R View Post
    So I don't run my 3s battery much in my Stamp VXL as I think the power is a little too much most times. Today I decided to run it for fun. I put about 5-7 minutes of on / off driving up and down my street when the truck just stops. Check it and the wheels won't move and the motor is hotter than a pistol. Pull the motor and its completely seized. Take the motor apart and the rotor is all cracked and huge chunks are broken off. I figure I overheated the motor, but really, Traxxas advertises this as being 3s compatible you'd think that you could actually run it for more than a few minutes before the motor goes south. Well time for a new motor and to throw the SPC 3s in the trash...

Are there any good, inexpensive motors that I can just drop in and would be compatible with the connectors and electronics of the stock VXL-3S ESC?

Thanks!
    For the traxxas bashing part. I assume you did nothing at all to the car but use a 3S lipo and adjust gearing? Otherwise it is on you. Especially wheel/tire changes. Biggest power train changer is that. It is the first thing everyone does, and the last thing anyone understands.

RC Champion
    Definetly need more details to this story, for example, the tires you were running??? the gearing you had installed???

i ask because i only run 3s in my stampede and NEVER blew a motor. im geared at 19/90 and can almost finish a whole 5000mah pack before its too hot. and i forgot mention that with the 3s i dont go soft on the stampede...iBash.

RC Qualifier
    Before I upgraded my stampede to a CC3800kv motor.. I ran the VXl on a SPC 3S 5000MAH 25C geared 19/86 and I NEVER overheated the VXl.. And I finished my battery packs unless something broke..running stock talons too.
    God is good.

RC Competitor
    I was running the stock 19/86 gearing w/ 2.8 inch Proline Desperados and taped mashers. This wheel / tire combo actually slowed the top speed a lot since it couldn't benefit from the tires ballooning and 'changing' the effective gear ratio. I've ran the 3s before when the weather was colder with no issue. It was about 90 degrees outside when I shelled the motor, so that was probably more of the issue than anything, but still. I bought a new VXL 3s motor from my LHS today for $79. and a cheapy speed mind 4 fin motor heatsink for a little added protection. Still probably won't run the 3s again.

RC Qualifier
    How hard we're you bashing?

Like lots of full throttle and tire spinning or just going easy on it?
    God is good.