RC poster

Unhappy Unboxing a damaged slash. "bad esc"

i would like to know how many people out there have had this problem.
    i bought a brand new slash 4x4 vxl model, and the esc burned up, 5 minutes of run time
    causing the lipo battery pack(fully charged) to explode, basicly in my hands.

I have had problems with other models of traxxas rigs,(rustler xl-5, motor burned out 2 minutes of use)
    out of the box, but not as bad as the slash,
    i have asked about 10 different people around my community if they had problems with there rigs,
    and not one has had any.
    i feel like im getting the short end of the stick with buying new products.(motors,esc's and new rigs)
    any help would ease my worries about traxxas products and might change my mind about buying more
    in the future.

RC Qualifier
    Well, first of all, you may just of had one of those difective ESC's. Traxxas will replace it free because of their awesome warrenty.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Racer
    what type of lipo were you running? Maybe u were overpowering the esc causing it to fry. . . .
    Slash 4x4 MM2 2400kv

RC Champion
    I've purchased three Traxxas cars in the last month; nothing but good luck so far!

I broke a shock tower on my E-MAXX brushless. It took a LOT of cartwheeling on concrete to finally break...

My son drives my Slash 4x4 and beats the living snot out of it. Not a single broken part so far.

My Rally has done a lot of unplanned off-roading. Still good to go.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    I had similar problem but I ran about 5 packs maybe through mine then the next day I went to plug the battery in and before I could turn it on the ecs started smoking luckily it didn't mess my battery up and traxxas already sent me a new one so im still pretty satisfied with my purchase just upset I couldn't use it in the snow while I was waiting for the new ecs

RC Champion
    I bought two traxxas rc's in the last month. A 30th Grave Digger and Slash 4x4 Platinum. I've had no problems with either. Did you have Low Voltage Detection on?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC poster
    noob here, a question about my slash 2wd that i recently got bnew. the esc led is red. is that normal? i was expecting it to be green. it also came with motor wires red to black to the esc not red to red and black to black wire

RC Qualifier
    You want the colours to match up (black with black, red with red). Did you get the Slash VXL? If you did, and you are using the stock battery (NIMH) than yes, it should be red. If you got the VXL and you use a Lipo battery, it should be green. If you got the XL-5 it's normally green. To change the VXL to work with Lipo batteries, while the system is on, press and hold the power button until you hear an ascending tone. To turn it off, do the same process and you will hear a descending tone.

RC poster
    thanks vladsly for the response. mine's not the vxl just the 2wd brushed so i guess its alright. yeah i had to match the wires coz it goes in reverse. got a question with the steering just cant get it to go straight. what do i need to adjust? got any advice?

RC Qualifier
    I recommend to my buddies not in the hobby to buy a roller and I'll help them build it up. Traxxas vxl systems are junk, I speak from personal experience as I've had two go bad using a 2s lipo. Some will say they are great and have had the original one in their truck for years but I don't care, vxl = junk.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC poster
    in my slash vxl I was using a 11.1v 2600ma 30c lipo. (one battery use of appox 5 minutes)
    battery was not new but had about 10-15 full charge cycles through it. great battery for all of my rigs, not puffy or disformed at all, voltage was always ballanced perfectly with all charges and lipo lvc was on.
    next thing i knew the car was golfing with smoke

i also had minor problems with my rusler xl-5 with motors (5) going dead within minutes of installing, installed an aftermarket motor, and no problems occured after the change, that seemed strange to me.(running a 7.4 lipo with ruslter)

i'd just like to have a handfull of uses before somethings went wrong with it, breaking parts happen, thats obvious with use,
    but when you open it up and then bang!!! it worries me about there product and there quality checks, maybe the car was made on a friday and they just wanted to get the **** home and i grabbed the last one on there shelf.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dougiefresh1979 View Post
    in my slash vxl I was using a 11.1v 2600ma 30c lipo. (one battery use of appox 5 minutes)
    battery was not new but had about 10-15 full charge cycles through it. great battery for all of my rigs, not puffy or disformed at all, voltage was always ballanced perfectly with all charges and lipo lvc was on.
    next thing i knew the car was golfing with smoke

i also had minor problems with my rusler xl-5 with motors (5) going dead within minutes of installing, installed an aftermarket motor, and no problems occured after the change, that seemed strange to me.(running a 7.4 lipo with ruslter)

i'd just like to have a handfull of uses before somethings went wrong with it, breaking parts happen, thats obvious with use,
    but when you open it up and then bang!!! it worries me about there product and there quality checks, maybe the car was made on a friday and they just wanted to get the **** home and i grabbed the last one on there shelf.
    are you sure the esc is the problem? the battery you chose to use is way too small to be used with a vxl system. that battery is rated for less than 80 amps, and the vxl system will use 100amps consistently in the 4x4. the vxl system in a 2wd may work with that battery but its still pushing it. so my guess would be you puffed your lipo so bad it exploded. ive seen that happen more than once.

if it was me id put a nimh battery on your esc and see if it works. if it does, your esc is fine.